Poll: Which is it?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll take a nice NY bagel over either any day, but of the two I prefer waffles. They're pancakes with syrup traps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nero Stormchester View Post
    Those are referred to in English as Crêpes. But yeah this is how I see a pancake, and that's the clear winner. If I had to choose between a waffle and an 'American' pancake , I'd go with the waffle .
    See, that's intriguing to me. When we say Crêpe in French, that includes pretty much any kind of pancake. That include the deformity on the front page and this delicious slice of happiness. We don't have "Gâteau à poêle", which would be the literal traduction of pancake. There's just Crêpe. Kreyhp, I would guess if pronounced in English.

So why is there both in English? Why both pancake AND crêpe, with crêpe being a pancake but a pancake not necessarily being a crêpe?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    See, that's intriguing to me. When we say Crêpe in French, that includes pretty much any kind of pancake. That include the deformity on the front page and this delicious slice of happiness. We don't have "Gâteau à poêle", which would be the literal traduction of pancake. There's just Crêpe. Kreyhp, I would guess if pronounced in English.

So why is there both in English? Why both pancake AND crêpe, with crêpe being a pancake but a pancake not necessarily being a crêpe?
    Crepe we take to mean a very very thin, rather flat pancake-like thing, that you usually roll up and have sweet or savory fillings. Pancake is a thick, super fluffy pancake that you shouldn't be able to roll up, that is served as stack with toppings.

Or, that's what I'm used to anyways. WHY this happened, I have no idea.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Good waffles beat pancakes. Commercial waffles probably lose.

Crepes on the other hand, different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Pancakes if served cold. Otherwise freshly made waffles.
    IMO if we're talking cold, they both lose.

- - - Updated - - -

Crepes are a semi-recent phenomenon in Anglophone countries and are still viewed as a French thing, thus they retain the French name. Pancakes have a longer history and are much more common. Crepes are viewed as fancy.

At least that's my understanding, admittedly I haven't researched the history of pancakes :P

English does this a lot - use a foreign word for an object for a particular type of that object. Like how the German word for chair becomes "stool" in English and just refers to a particular type of chair. We import a lot of loanwords and put them to work as more specific things so that they remain useful. Confuses native speakers of those languages though.

The funniest one is the in musical instruments - we have both a "French horn" and a "cor anglais" in English. So the English phrase "French horn" and the French phrase "English horn". Totally different instruments of course. Oh and the cor anglais is neither a horn nor English.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-06-22 at 04:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waffles are communist food.

Besides, I'm all about dat toooooohst.

Putin khuliyo

pancakes, mostly because i have never eaten a waffle

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    pancakes, mostly because i have never eaten a waffle
    They're basically pancakes cooked on a weird shaped griddle.
    Putin khuliyo

Look, no offense, but frankly I don't know how the hell you call that... thing... a pancake.

THIS is a pancake. And it's fucking delicious.
    Ummmm, thats a crepe. So to quote you - "I don't know how you can call that thing a pancake"
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

10+ Year Old Account
    French toast for no other reason other than to be that guy haha!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I'll stick to crepes, with my own cottage cheese filling. Not for breakfast, though. If I eat something so greasy for breakfast, it will be scrambled eggs.

7+ Year Old Account
    crepes (bliny/pancake/f*ck you) with red caviar and sweet tea

ps: also, if i googled right, bliny and crepes are the same thing, and picture below is what americans call pancakes (if googled correctly). So for those who say that crepes and pancakes is the same thing, you r wrong, crepes are thin as sh1t, and thats a big thing.
    Last edited by Dentelan; 2017-06-22 at 08:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia

It's a good question, in my own language (and, I think, most European languages) there isn't any special word for crepes - we call them "pancakes". There's no need to call them anything else. If the rare occasion of eating American pancakes arises, we just call them American pancakes.

Deleted
    Good old homemade pancakes. Waffles have no chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dentelan View Post
    ps: also, if i googled right, bliny and crepes are the same thing
    Not necessary. There are multiple ways to make bliny. They can be big, like proper pancakes. They can be small, like crepes. It entirely depends on cook.

Deleted
    Generally I prefer pancakes, which is what less developed individuals call a crepe. There's only 1 kind of waffle I prefer over a pancake and that's a blue Liège waffle from Belgium. With caramelized bits of sugar on the outside and nuggets of half-molten sugar on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post

I mean, look at that. Can you do something like that with an American pancake? Sure, you could pile up 5 pancakes, then throw all of it on the top, but this was actually folded up three times, which means it has 6 layers of pancake and 5 layers of filling. What kind of filling? Whatever the fuck you want. I basically had my pancake topped and/or filled with up to 7-8 different things when I was there. And you can obviously do the same thing with a crepe at home.
    enjoy your diabetes while you wash that down with coke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    SMACKDOWN!

Which is the ideal breakfast food? Defend your answer!
    Waffles. They are advanced pancakes.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    SMACKDOWN!

Which is the ideal breakfast food? Defend your answer!
    Waffles of course

Either with simply a smear of butter and a dollop of honey

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    enjoy your diabetes while you wash that down with coke
    Enjoy your ignorance by avoiding sugars at all costs because, I donno, "SUGARZ BE BAD". Meanwhile, I'll keep on being a swimmer and eating treats once a week and enjoying life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Enjoy your ignorance by avoiding sugars at all costs because, I donno, "SUGARZ BE BAD". Meanwhile, I'll keep on being a swimmer and eating treats once a week and enjoying life.
    I don't avoid sugar at all costs.. I just avoid empty calories, like that. I don't equate eating shit to enjoying life. But hey, you do you.