Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    The key questions are: Did the officer getting there know this? Did the other officers say this over the radio?
    Is it proper police protocol to shoot the first person you see upon arriving on a scene ?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The key questions are: Did the officer getting there know this? Did the other officers say this over the radio?

SO now it is SOP to fire on a armed person without any kind of warning?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does this "Off-Duty Officer Shot by Fellow Officers" sound any different?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

So what we know;
    Armed, off-duty police officer, not in uniform.
    Cop just arriving to a scene that has already been reported to have shots fired.
    As he arrives on the scene he witnesses an unknown armed person approaching other officers.

Without any other facts, or possible videos from the scene, it's impossible to make a complete assessment.

Making this about race, without any evidence to support the claim, only makes you a racist.

Law of large numbers. We're the third most populous country on the planet. There are a lot of cops. There are a lot of interactions with cops daily. Cops carry guns. Cops are human beings who make mistakes. It follows then that during the many daily interactions with cops some mistakes with guns occur. Unfortunately those mistakes can be deadly.

It's a consequence of training certainly and a testament to the imperfect nature of human beings. It's a consequence of so many people carrying guns ultimately. It's something which is bound to happen over and over if we decide we need armed police. I make no judgment as to what the case should be, I'm just pointing out facts. Can we improve? Sure. But we'll never eliminate the simple reality of people carrying deadly weapons sometimes making mistakes.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Law of large numbers. We're the third most populous country on the planet. There are a lot of cops. There are a lot of interactions with cops daily. Cops carry guns. Cops are human beings who make mistakes. It follows then that during the many daily interactions with cops some mistakes with guns occur. Unfortunately those mistakes can be deadly.

It's a consequence of training certainly and a testament to the imperfect nature of human beings. It's a consequence of so many people carrying guns ultimately. It's something which is bound to happen over and over if we decide we need armed police. I make no judgment as to what the case should be, I'm just pointing out facts. Can we improve? Sure. But we'll never eliminate the simple reality of people Carr omg deadly weapons sometimes making mistakes.

I think most people just want police to be held responsible for their mistake just like everyone else would be. Police are not suppose to be above the law.

American police is the police that Americans deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    I have one major problem with that accusation. that would be that a man got shot for following his constitutional right. in Missouri we are an open carry and conceal and carry can be without permit. so if he got shot for simply being armed that is a big problem. secondly the article clearly states the chase was over and the gun fight was over. this would have been called in on the radio and the arriving officer should have known the situation.
    They shot tamir rice while by law it is a open carry state. Point is it doesn't mater what the law is

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...hio#Open_carry

Ohio is a traditional open-carry state. The open-carry of firearms by those who legally possess the firearm is a legal activity in Ohio with or without a license. One need not have a concealed handgun license (CHL, CCW) to transport an unloaded handgun in a motor vehicle but it must be secured/contained and located in the vehicle requiring an exit of said vehicle to access it. Ammunition and magazines must be in a separate compartment or holding device. Note: If you have any alcohol in your system it is illegal to possess a firearm in your vehicle or on your person.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    It's a bit of "don't run towards a situation involving a fire fight while you look like a civilian" and a bit of "don't shoot someone who is clearly helping" but we would have to see video to know how it went down.
    You do realize not all cops wear a uniform right?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Race have nothing to do with this.
    It has everything to do with it if you are a baiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    how often does an off duty cop, dressed in civilian clothing, and with a gun in hand, join in on a high-speed car chase

It is an extremely common occurrence. Even when off duty cops are still obligated to do their jobs if they see a crime in progress or that one is under investigation regardless of what they may be wearing.

It is asinine that people are actually defending this. The first group of cops somehow were able to discern they were engaging a fellow cop and not a criminal and were clearly in no danger making this even more unacceptable.
    Last edited by xanzul; 2017-06-24 at 11:29 PM.

A white officer who had just arrived on the scene of a suspected crime Wednesday night saw the off-duty black officer walking toward other officers and shot the officer in the arm "fearing for his safety," a police statement said.

The wounded officer, who is 38 years old and has been with the department 11 years, was taken to a hospital and later released.

They also shot the suspect, shot him in the ankle. Ouch!

But I guess it was a dangerous situation and everyone was a little jumpy. You have to be brave to be an officer and a lot of officers aren't brave, they're the jumpy types.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

How does that change anything? Does them calling him over mean he didn't run over there looking like a civilian? Do you not know that the 3rd one showed up without knowing that happened? Do you think he just saw his colleagues call over the guy as a friend and was like "BLACK!" and shot?
    The cops were clearly in no danger at all whatsoever. I don't give a fuck if this cop didn't know what had happened before he still shot someone who wasn't even a threat to ANYONE. I'm sorry but this is just flat out inexcusable. This is NOT how cops are trained to behave in these situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Aren't off duty cops not supposed to get involved for just this sort of reason?
    Whether on duty or not cops routinely involve themselves in situations if they think they can be of help. Also if not wearing a uniform increases the risk of being shot then why aren't plainclothes cops getting shot all the time? Again cops are trained how to behave in situations where it may not be entirely clear what is going on and it is absolutely positively not acceptable to shoot first and ask questions later.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    You do realize not all cops wear a uniform right?
    What does that have to do with anything?

The cops were clearly in no danger at all whatsoever. I don't give a fuck if this cop didn't know what had happened before he still shot someone who wasn't even a threat to ANYONE. I'm sorry but this is just flat out inexcusable. This is NOT how cops are trained to behave in these situations.
    I didn't excuse anything, it looks like you were just trying to find someone to argue with.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

It is an extremely common occurrence. Even when off duty cops are still obligated to do their jobs if they see a crime in progress or that one is under investigation regardless of what they may be wearing.

It is asinine that people are actually defending this. The first group of cops somehow were able to discern they were engaging a fellow cop and not a criminal and were clearly in no danger making this even more unacceptable.
    More likely than not the fine news establishment known as "Yahoo News" is not telling us all of the details and the author of said article is pushing their narrative.

An AP article with lots of detail.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

And a Rueters article with details as well.
    https://www.rt.com/document/594d5617...6f648b4590/amp

My guess is, the suspects that stole the car and the ones that were involved in the shootout may have loosely fit the description of the off-duty officer.

Yes, and all the person who shot him saw was someone who wasnt a cop approaching cops with a gun.

If you're off duty, you don't get involved. The uniform is there for a reason. To mark you as an officer.
    So explain plainclothes cops. If not wearing a uniform results in people being shot why aren't plainclothes cops always being shot? Again there is procedure to follow here and it is something ALL cops are trained in. I don't give a fuck who was or wasn't wearing a uniform or who was or wasn't armed because it isn't relevant in any way whatsoever to the fact that this cop ignored his training and shot someone for no actual fucking legitimate reason.

I didn't excuse anything, it looks like you were just trying to find someone to argue with.
    That is quite a common occurrence on this particular subforum. I have actually agreed with people only to have them flop around their opinion so they won't have the same opinion as mine. It really is quite entertaining.

You claim I didn't read things, yet you apparently didn't read where I placed blame on both sides. That being said you wouldn't go ask your fellow officer if you think they're being attacked...

Yeah, fuck it, who cares about logic when you can hate cops because you know you'll always have them to protect your ass no matter what dumb statements you make.
    You don't see it as a problem that cops are shooting other cops? If they can't even be bothered to protect each other how in the fuck are they going to be able to protect us?

So explain plainclothes cops. If not wearing a uniform results in people being shot why aren't plainclothes cops always being shot? Again there is procedure to follow here and it is something ALL cops are trained in. I don't give a fuck who was or wasn't wearing a uniform or who was or wasn't armed because it isn't relevant in any way whatsoever to the fact that this cop ignored his training and shot someone for no actual fucking legitimate reason.
    Even plainclothes officers wear badges my friend. It isn't like television.

Someone who was not marked as a cop, and was off duty, was walking towards others cops at the scene of a shooting, while holding a weapon.

Another officer came, saw this, and fired.

That honestly sounds fairly reasonable.

If anything its the fault of the officers who were there for not mentioning to the others that the other officer was there helping.
    I'm sorry but when exactly were the cops able to explain anything to anyone before the shooting? That is kind of the whole fucking problem here.