Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Hmm...
    Maybe that's why there is so many baby mama's. More babies equate to more money.
    You just figured that out. popping out worthless welfare babies is a fucking job title in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Because many products/services are optional.

Free market doesn't work on non-optional products/services - such as health care.
    Ah...yes, that because now if you don't have health insurance you get fined by the government thanks to ACA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    You just figured that out. popping out worthless welfare babies is a fucking job title in the US.
    I have pretty much protected from the urban jungle of life my friend. I wouldn't call any baby "worthless". That seems awfully cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    And it wouldn't be if it would have been released correctly, before the vampire Republicans got their hands on the ACA in the senate and spent 6 months debating it to oblivion so the back end of the costs would be loaded on the already overburdened and recovering middle class, instead of the corporations and billionaires that should be paying for it.
    Actually the reason why it is horrible is the ACA plans for middle class was to get insurance from the employer, but that it would not be very generous plans (Cadillac tax). The theory was that the middle class has been getting hosed on wages for the last two decades because their employers have been putting their wages into high cost medical insurance plans.

Instead what the ACA did was try to shift wages out of insurance plans and back into the middle class's wallets, while reducing their plans to "reasonable" levels. The middle class would then get a wage raise, the insurance plans would not be as generous but would still allow for essential benefits and necessary care, and if there was a serious issue the increases in wages that the middle class would receive, because they weren't playing for high dollar plans they didn't need, would be able to cover any out of pocket expenses.

Problem is the regulators made the essential benefits so expansive and costly that premiums rocketed up even for employer plans, and to offset and even higher increase in premiums insurance companies started incorporating higher deductibles into their plans. Employers, also stopped offering "Cadillac plans" except in certain industries but the wage savings were completely eaten up by the higher premiums.

My own position: in 2012(before full ACA implementation in the employer provided market) I paid $185 a month in premiums and had a $1500 deductible. This last year my premium is $516 a month with a $2500 deductible. Only real difference in between the two plans is my wife's medication in 2012 was $380 a month. Now it is $65 a month. You can see, not even counting the Deductible, I now pay more in medical service costs a year than I did in 2012 ($6780 a year in 2012 and $6972). Secondary to that, because of the higher deductible I now also carry about $2000 more in medical debt than I did in 2012.

Oh and last year I made about $40k before taxes.

And before you say "see single payer would be better". Most countries that offer single payer pay for it using higher taxation. in my income bracket my taxes in most of those countries would increase by about 15-18%. That's what I am paying now in insurance premiums.

Thanks but I trust a private company to insurance me more than I will ever trust the government to do the same job. At least I can look for a different company to provide my service if the one I have is unsatisfactory.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelff View Post
    Just can't find exact amounts on google... it's all that generic info I don't want to know.... I want to know exact numbers for a few states for comparisons
    Then look up those few states?

If you're a right winger, the answer in every case is "enough to afford an AMG and buckets of fried chicken on a daily basis"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    Yep poor and destitute...

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...tard-biography

I know this is only one account of fraud, but if there's one I'm damn sure there's more.

Hell my cousin used to get pregnant when the welfare checks started getting light just so they would give her more money(she died from AIDs so all is good now)
    It's true. All poor people are rap stars.

Ah...yes,
    Excellent - glad to see rationality has wedged its way into your mind... well done.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

It varies by state and circumstance. There is no set amount. One can get $14 while someone else might receive $800 or something.

Here in Massachusetts, when I was laid off back in 2008, I received about $300 a week, before taxes, in unemployment. I made about $540 before taxes at the job I had. I was living with my parents at the time, so I didn't try to apply for any other assistance than unemployment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    Who's to say we're not worried about all that other stuff, cause to be honest I am. But the topic/issue of this thread is welfare.

And if the big frauds disgust you than so should the small frauds.

Yeah sure. Let me know when some dumb fuck ghetto trash on a vid looking for clicks and attention is anything like the billions wasted by the Pentagon and corporate welfare.

In 2009 I was receiving $350 a week for unemployment after taxes, coming out of the military. I was a full time student, so they didn't require me to look for work. I could have milked it for a total of 90 weeks, but I ended up with an internship after my first semester, worked out well.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    A few things to keep in mind in all this. One is that the OP compares welfare to 1st year teacher salaries, insinuating why work since you get just as much not working. 1st year in nearly any career (especially certain jobs like teaching or law enforcement), have unusually low starting salaries and go up from there. The key part is going up from there. A teacher or cop might start at only $20k a year because it's the type of job that looked at in a very probationary way. But one of my college friends is a grade school teacher and she makes $90k a year now after doing it 20 years.

That's the problem with these comparisons. They fail to take into account you are comparing welfare to 1st year salaries, which are low and no one stays at for long. Every year or two you will get raises and move up, incrementally getting promotions and pay increases. That's kind of the point of a career. So take the teacher/welfare recipient example. Year 1 of welfare vs year 1 teacher might not be that far apart, say $20k each. 10 years later guess what, the teacher is making $35k or 40k and the welfare recipient is still scraping by on the same $20k. Another 10 years later you can probably double the difference. So it's not really that welfare recipients make as much as workers, and it's certainly not a wonderful life scraping by on $20k a year for the rest of your life.

Plus, many states including mine put requirements for welfare in a few years ago to prevent lifetime welfare recipients. They have to be going to school or working, or at least making progress. And if they don't it's gradually reduced. So many states have turned it into what it should be, which is a bridge to get people into a career and on their feet rather than a free carry for life.

Lastly, to some it may seem like a person on welfare is "winning" at life by not working. But if standing in long government lines all the time, constantly hoping your benefits aren't cut, likely living in projects or low-income housing, being limited on food, never having extra money for anything, having terrible medical coverage, and being stuck on welfare is somehow a wonderful life...I think most people in that situation would probably tell you it totally sucks. Worse yet, they have crappy senior years on more crappy medical coverage and hoping to be lucky enough to be picked to live in pretty awful low-income senior housing.

I'm not pro-welfare, it has a place for certain people to help them get through tough times. Just saying it's a stretch to start pretending people on welfare on living the same life as career working people. 1st year salaries might be comparable. But 1st year salaries are all low and go up rapidly. In my case I make over 4x what I started 1st year out of college. Someone on welfare has that standard of living as long as they are on it. So they aren't living in 6 figure houses or going on nice vacations.

Hmm...
    Maybe that's why there is so many baby mama's. More babies equate to more money.
    the amount you get does not go up equally proportional to the cost of having the babies.

for example...food stamps do not double because you have 2x the kids.
    You don't get 2x the value of housing voucher cause you now have double the kids.

etc etc etc

Also very very few people will actually qualify for all the services, and if you see states with totals in the 30-40k range that is because housing and medicaid cost in those states are ridiculous ...i.e hawaii...even heating and electric assistance is like 4x the cost of the lowest state.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Let's demonize the poor and destitute so we can give even more money to top corps and wealthy that don't need it. And to more war funding. Always more wars.
    If you live in the USA and have worked all your life, there is no excuse for being poor honestly other than self reflection. Yes the income gap is a problem, but usually being poor is consequence of bad decisions in life or lack of ambition/education.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    If you live in the USA and have worked all your life, there is no excuse for being poor honestly other than self reflection. Yes the income gap is a problem, but usually being poor is consequence of bad decisions in life or lack of ambition/education.
    People love to tell themselves that the number of available wealth opportunities is greater than the number of individuals looking to better their lot in life. Complete fiction, but it makes folks feel better to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    Yup, could all moochers please keep heading north to Canada. It's easier to get on welfare and it pays more I hear.
    Not sure where Ontario ranks in Canada for Welfare payments, but don't be stopping here. The total amount you can claim is $721 per month. Best of luck trying to live on that. I also don't know how easy it is compared to the US, however you do have to give the government complete financial disclosure, and if your assets are above a certain level, you have to deplete them before receiving any payments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Tell that to the working poor at the Wal-Marts, fast food places, and other low-pay service jobs, who are still under the poverty line and need to get Food Stamps so in reality, FS is a gov't welfare handout to the Wal-Marts etc. that would not be needed if they had to pay their workers a living wage.

Tell that to the millions of people whose jobs were "downsized" and "outsourced" since NAFTA and globalism took hold. Tell that to the former union workers who went through decades of union busting and layoffs, then their states being turned into "Right-to-work" (read: right-to-slave) states, all for corporations to get tax breaks and low wage concessions. Tell that to the college grads who can't find good jobs, are living back at home with their parents, but are in debt for decades and cannot have the debt discharged even through bankruptcy.

The old Ronnie Reagan "pull yourself up by your bootstraps", rugged individualist ideal has been proven to be largely a fantasy. It might have worked for some in the Wild West of the 1800s but is not very applicable to modern reality.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2017-06-26 at 07:59 PM.