Page 96 of 109 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Facts? You mean the fact that they posted a disclaimer saying they reserve the right to release his name? That might be the case, but it doesn't change the fact that it is wrong and unethical journalism; basically a symptom of where journalism is going these days. You might disagree ... but journalist and public opinion disagree with you.
    It's actually very ethical behavior by CNN - you just WANT it be unethical because you hate CNN. You're letting your emotions get in the way of logic and reasoning.

Keep in mind - they didn't report his name.

If you disagree, explain to us how NOT reporting the news, and exercising discretion, is unethical?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No, I think discretion by a media corporation is the moral high ground. The issue is that they didn't report the news, in favor of keeping the man's name private.
    unless of course he speaks out against them again
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    So instead you just post stupid shit on the internet.
    My dearest, beloved Zenkai. How I've missed you these past few weeks. We never talk anymore, why is that?

Please notice that my caveat is "that would cause me to get noticed by the president". I never said I don't post stupid shit on the internet. In fact, I do regularly. However, unless I'm wholly mistaken, neither Trump nor his cronies are frequent visitors to MMO-Champion.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    god dam the extent you go through to defend a corporation hunting down an individual who said something they didn't like then threaten to expose is sickening, but to see it coming from the "corporations are evil" crowd is at least a bit enlightening.
    Who's defending that? When did any of this happen?
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    His personal information is not newsworthy, nor is it really necessary.

No, CNN should not get "to the bottom" of it, because it's extremely trivial and would cause more harm than good. This is not a case of corruption or a criminal act.
    And this is where you lose all intellectual credibility - the NAME of the person who created (or was attributed to creating) the GIF that a sitting president tweeted attacking a media outlet and encouraging violence ISN'T NEWSWORTHY?

Not reporting his name was an extreme act of integrity and discretion - you just can't see it because you hate CNN.

No, I think discretion by a media corporation is the moral high ground. The issue is that they didn't report the news, in favor of keeping the man's name private.
    Wait, you are literally arguing that they should release the name, even after they admit it would be unsafe for him if they did? I don't even...

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    It isn't humanly possible. However he posted it on Reddit. You know, "The front page of the internet"? Reddit content has been published in news articles for many, many years. You don't post things to Reddit unless you want it to be noticed, and this guy got the unlucky distinction of having his creation picked up and distributed by Trump. Could he have predicted it? No, but that doesn't change the fact that he created it for attention - it's just more than he was expecting.
    There are literally thousands of gifs like that that barely go noticed, some are even better than this one. Sure, he wanted attention - but to the extent of having his name revealed to everyone? What'd he do to deserve that?

How is a "silly little gif" materially different than "stupid shit"?

And just as there was nothing wrong with him creating something satirical, there's also nothing wrong with CNN finding out who he is after the president of the United States tweets it.
    Because "stupid shit", at least to me, is on a different level. Like racial tirades on public transport, that kind of thing.

Sure, CNN can dig and find who it is, but what's right about CNN threatening to reveal his name in public if he doesn't mean certain conditions imposed on him. They basically said "make another mean meme like that and we're going to reveal who you are".

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Wait, you are literally arguing that they should release the name, even after they admit it would be unsafe for him if they did? I don't even...
    No, but your strawmanship is still formidable.

Did you read your above, because you kinda answer your own question. I'm saying they exercised discretion in not reporting the name, even though it was newsworthy. Which is what I've been saying this entire time.

You are literally yelling at them for NOT reporting the news.

Did you read your above, because you kinda answer your own question. I'm saying they exercised discretion in not reporting the name, even though it was newsworthy. Which is what I've been saying this entire time.

I wouldn't call posting real names of shit meme creators as "News Worthy".

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    so going to skip right over the questions and move on huh?

can you say....Wikileaks? Gee amazing how the very same people have no problem with them releasing non public, private information....illegally.....putting people in danger

Alex Jones...you know they have press rights now with the white house....lots of threats from this guy and his media organization.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/15/alex-jon...lly-interview/

He openly threats and did post parts of a private conversation with MK. No danger there, right?

lets not even talk about the physical harm he threatens someone for the things he said
    http://www.salon.com/2017/04/07/alex...p-adam-schiff/

media companies keep informants information private all the time. They don't release witnesses information. They don't always release even the names of people they are reporting on. this is nothing new.

dicky move on how they handled it but hardly new or illegal. only difference here is that its CNN
    Alex Jones is not a "giant media corporation". He has factually never broadcast live to the airways, on TV or radio, and his only sponsor he has ever had, is a company he owns. Give. Me. A. Break.

WikiLeaks didn't PERSONALLY threaten people, they just released shit, with no threats.

You cannot link a REAL instance of a giant media corporation threatening to release the name of a private citizen, if they don't like their future expressions of speech.

This is an extra judicial threat of punishment being applied, by a non elected corporate authority. If we or the man in the story disagree with the judgement by CNN, there is no recourse, aside from a lawsuit, which no doubt will soon be under way.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2017-07-06 at 08:58 PM.

And this is where you lose all intellectual credibility - the NAME of the person who created (or was attributed to creating) the GIF that a sitting president tweeted attacking a media outlet and encouraging violence ISN'T NEWSWORTHY?
    Encouraging violence?

And you have the nerve to attack my intellectual credibility. What a joke.

Not reporting his name was an extreme act of integrity and discretion - you just can't see it because you hate CNN.
    Awh gee, how nice of CNN not to name him but telling all of us that they can waive this at any time if certain conditions are not met (ie. making another CNN satire video). Got nothing to do with "hating CNN", it's just their behaviour I dislike because I find it incredibly unethical.

I am incredibly gobsmacked how you think they acted with any sort of integrity.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's actually very ethical behavior by CNN - you just WANT it be unethical because you hate CNN. You're letting your emotions get in the way of logic and reasoning.

Keep in mind - they didn't report his name.

If you disagree, explain to us how NOT reporting the news, and exercising discretion, is unethical?
    That is because you are a sheep. Hating CNN isn't anything special. Most people with have a brain see through the nonsense that is spewed from the likes of FOX, MSNBC and your precious CNN. Honestly I think you are letting your own ignorance get into the way of critical thought.

And like I said, contacting the person is fine. Claiming that they reserve the right to give out his name is not especially when it sounds like a threat. You can argue that it wasn't their intention and I would have more respect for you then; but based on the tone of CNN and their past credibility I wouldn't put it past them. If CNN eliminated the last two paragraphs and didn't tweet "Should we release the makers name?" on twitter; all of this would of been avoided.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I wouldn't call posting real names of shit meme creators as "News Worthy".
    I know you wouldn't, and that's ok.

It's not the news. Can you name ONE other meme creator? Like, maybe the guy that came up with those YO DAWG memes, or whoever it is that is making those Dox Equis guy memes. Those are super funny. Who makes those? What is the address of those people?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Because it's his fucking work? He could easily have stood up and said it was satire. I think most would have moved on and not cared in the slightest. You still take ownership of your work. Sadly, this middle aged man was embarrassed by his work and didn't want to take ownership. I guess he realized most wouldn't see too much satire in his posting history, just hatred.
    I'm sorry, but it's clearly obvious it's satire. Why does he need to announce it? Do satirical shows usually announce that they're satire? C'mon, it's pretty fucking obvious.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Awh gee, how nice of CNN not to name him but telling all of us that they can waive this at any time if certain conditions are not met (ie. making another CNN satire video). Got nothing to do with "hating CNN", it's just their behaviour I dislike because I find it incredibly unethical.
    It really was, wasn't it? I'm glad you're finally setting aside your irrational hatred of CNN and letting logic and reasoning in the door.

I am incredibly gobsmacked how you think they acted with any sort of integrity.
    I have no idea what that means, but I wish to use it immediately in all my dealings with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He created content that was used in an official statement from the POTUS, there is a bit of a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

As soon as the President tweets them in official statements I'll look into it.
    Ok. Who created the other memes Trump has re-tweeted? What is their address also please. This is all just news. The public always knows who makes memes. We follow these guys, like pop artists. They are big stars.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    It's not the news. Can you name ONE other meme creator? Like, maybe the guy that came up with those YO DAWG memes, or whoever it is that is making those Dox Equis guy memes. Those are super funny. Who makes those? What is the address of those people?
    As soon as another meme gets tweeted by the president I'll investigate. Or I could have a news organization do it for me and the report . . . wait for it . . . the news.

President posts shitty meme
    CNN journalist digs into where the video came from
    Finds creator with juicy post history of racists biggoted AND comments about hoping people get doxxed (some irony is found here)
    CNN tries to contact shitty mc shit racist
    Racist nukes his account and makes an 'apology'
    CNN gets in contact with person and agrees not to post his name
    4chan spins this into an attack on a 15 year old
    Turns out not 15 year old
    Turns out it's just a trash adult human
    People still spin this into something against CNN even though the shit bag posted publicly

Let's just defend the human trash in this world. It's a pitty they can't hate on people publicly without being exposed.

As soon as another meme gets tweeted by the president I'll investigate. Or I could have a news organization do it for me and the report . . . wait for it . . . the news.
    Trump was criticized during the campaign for re-tweeting things from alt-right sources, if you recall. Who made those memes? Was their name and address printed by CNN? Did CNN threaten them to "knock it off" too? But really though, just name any creator of any meme ever. You are saying this is big news, and something they always cover. Just look up ONE other story where a big dog media company investigated meme creators and gave us their info.