Thread: Cultured Meat

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    The sad part is, its this kind of sentiment that all but destroyed the show horse industry and jacked horse meat prices to oblivion. I -hate- these Gen X yuppies that run around screaming at the top of their lungs that the 1200 pound beast of pure muscle and bone you ride from place to place is a fucking pet.

- - - Updated - - -

Vegans also don't care what their food tastes like. I'm all for healthy eating, until it tastes like a snot salad or some godawful plain rice.
    Then I'm going to cook it right until it tastes right.
    You can make some really tasty vegan food. Vegans don't just eat salad.. Properly prepared tofu is delicious (some asian place next to my school makes a general tso tofu dish and it tastes better than the chicken one I used to get imo). Some meat replacements are surprisingly good, you can make stuff like spaghetti with it. There's also a bunch of vegan ice creams, oreos are vegan, etc... there are just so many options especially nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    It is a shame the Orox bull is extinct, that thing is the most badass creature to have ever lived.
    Can you imagine one (or at least something superficially similar) taking on a pack of wolves in the European wilderness? Pure awesomeness.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Can you imagine one (or at least something superficially similar) taking on a pack of wolves in the European wilderness? Pure awesomeness.
    I'd pay to see it and resurrect the Minoan Bull cult as well. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about comparing livestock to pets (although I've heard pigs can make well enough housepets) it's more about the cruel conditions many of the animals are forced to endure to feed a surplus population.
    7.3 billion people on this spinning rock, if you are suggesting we have a 'surplus' of people perhaps we should thin the number a bit? How far? Will you be volunteering for Carousel?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Not to mention a lot of vegan meals contain some form of soy and a significant amount of people are highly allergic to it, including myself.
    I'm just thinking of the people I know who tried veganism, or the Andy Warski video about his attempt to go vegan. That seems to be a fad diet for the uber dedicated and those with free time and expendable income.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeyar View Post
    If you questioned slavery in the 1800s you would be called out of reality.
    Comparing slavery to the meat industry? Seriously? Are you saying blacks are as dumb as cattle? or are you saying that cattle are as smart as blacks? or are you saying the cow your big mac came from had another destiny to fulfill in society?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Comparing slavery to the meat industry? Seriously? Are you saying blacks are as dumb as cattle? or are you saying that cattle are as smart as blacks? or are you saying the cow your big mac came from had another destiny to fulfill in society?
    Nope, nothing to do with intelligence but sentience. "the question is not whether they can talk or reason, but can they suffer"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeyar View Post
    Nope, nothing to do with intelligence but sentience. "the question is not whether they can talk or reason, but can they suffer"
    Are Humans a type of animal?

- - - Updated - - -

7.3 billion people on this spinning rock, if you are suggesting we have a 'surplus' of people perhaps we should thin the number a bit? How far? Will you be volunteering for Carousel?
    I'm going to give @Atethecat the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a misused phrase on his part.

I won't and hopefully nobody will, we don't need to kill people for us to control the population. As countries develop and people become more educated, birthrates decline as seen within many parts of the West and East Asia. Especially as automation will slowly take over most menial jobs and creep into more jobs that require mental ability.

But that's beside the point, my comment wasn't a complaint about the amount of people on Earth, I was simply noting the fact that with our current way of harvesting meat we do not have enough of it to feed those said ~7.5 billion people. We already waste a lot of resources managing billions of various livestock species with profound environmental impacts.

If I had the tools and knowledge, I'd be hunting the wild boar around where I live. They're an overpopulated nuisance creating a shit load of problems. Helps that they're tasty.

I'd pay to see it and resurrect the Minoan Bull cult as well. <3
    I'd really to see a European Serengeti. Red deer, moose/elk, roe deer, ibex, chamois, "backbred" aurochs and tarpan (Wild Horse), wild ass, wisent/bison, wild boar, water buffalo, fallow deer, wolves, jackals and bear.

Lions were also apparently present in the Southern Balkans until 100 BCE. Sadly, I doubt they would be on the table for reintroduction...
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2017-07-08 at 05:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just thinking of the people I know who tried veganism, or the Andy Warski video about his attempt to go vegan. That seems to be a fad diet for the uber dedicated and those with free time and expendable income.
    Pretty much, or based on some misguided sense of moral guilt. I'd argue that vegetarianism is a good balance as far as food priority goes but veganism seems to be hellbent on outdoing themselves. Not all vegans but a good amount I've come across have given me the impression that it's the cross-fit of diets.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Pretty much, or based on some misguided sense of moral guilt. I'd argue that vegetarianism is a good balance as far as food priority goes but veganism seems to be hellbent on outdoing themselves. Not all vegans but a good amount I've come across have given me the impression that it's the cross-fit of diets.
    I largely only consume fish or sea food for meat with like chick, pork or beef when I eat some Mexican food.

But largely the only meat I eat comes from fish. Or eggs.

And yes, Cross-fit of diets is a good description.

I find it funny how many people in this thread decided to preface their statements with "I don't care about animals but". As if they were afraid someone might misread them as someone who cared about animals "shudder".

As for my opinion, I think if it's healthy then I would consider eating it. A major problem with processed meat and factory farming is they produce very unhealthy products. If we're smart enough to make a superior product, it would quickly surpass regular meat production.

10+ Year Old Account
    They would likely be of little use and sent to sanctuaries. You would likely not need many animals to harvest cells from, especially as the technology would advance as it always does.

I think the animal breeds of the livestock species that depend on humans should continued to be captively bred in sanctuaries, heritage sites and zoos.

Hardy breeds should be "de-domesticated and reintroduced to the areas their wild ancestors originated from. Beef breeds and Spanish fighting cattle could be reintroduced into the wilds of Eurasia. Certain breeds of pigs could be "re-absorbed" by wild boar populations and introgress into virtual non-existence.

Cattle - Europe/Middle East
    Chickens - South/Southeast Asia
    Pigs - Eurasia
    Turkeys - North America
    Sheep - Middle East
    Goats - Eurasia

Eventually natural selection and interbreeding with populations of their wild ancestors would cause them to revert back to their wild appearances and behaviors.
    Who is going to fund a sanctuary for turkeys? Or chickens, or other species that are decidedly not-endangered. There are hundreds of millions more of these animals on farms than there ever would have been in the wild. Heck, there are more than twice as many chickens on this planet than there are people; no way in hell those 19 billion chickens are going to be "reintegrated" into the wild.

More likely, they simply stop being bred in such numerous quantities and the land they were on is turned to other purposes. I highly doubt that farming of them will ever be phased out entirely.

So yeah, if thats hard for me, veganism would be impossible. I'll keep my meat.
    I have celiac disease, so I'm allergic to wheat, barley, and rye. I'm also coincidentally allergic to oats.

Plants are already taking shots at me. I ain't going vegan. Almost ALL vegan "meat substitutes" are made with wheat for thickeners.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-07-08 at 05:31 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Vegans pretty much have to eat like every two hours, that is a f' ton of time to spend on meal prep and a lot of food to buy.
    Why do people spread myths like this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind eating lab grown meat, as long as it tastes good.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when they first announced this and they had made a meat patty this way and back then about 2 years or so ago the patty cost something like $300,000 to produce..

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Who is going to fund a sanctuary for turkeys? Or chickens, or other species that are decidedly not-endangered. There are hundreds of millions more of these animals on farms than there ever would have been in the wild. Heck, there are more than twice as many chickens on this planet than there are people; no way in hell those 19 billion chickens are going to be "reintegrated" into the wild.

More likely, they simply stop being bred in such numerous quantities and the land they were on is turned to other purposes. I highly doubt that farming of them will ever be phased out entirely.
    Good point. My main idea would be to play it on a breed to breed basis within the species. Some breeds would be too dependent on humans and therefore be kept in captivity, while I find my idea feasible with primitive or landrace breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    I remember when they first announced this and they had made a meat patty this way and back then about 2 years or so ago the patty cost something like $300,000 to produce..
    If these are the same guys im thinking of, they also had issues with flavor since they only cloned the muscle and not the fat.