Not the last movie I saw but it was quite recent. Nocturnal Animals and I really enjoyed it. I'm terrible with rating things because I'm simple. I like it or I don't, but if pressed I guess I would say around 8.5 or 9. I really enjoyed it because a lot of suspense movies don't really get under your skin but this one very much did so. The car chase portion of the movie really had my anxiety levels rising.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Transformers - 1/10...while I was prepared for awfulness, it dug well below that low bar. While an absolutely stupid story was to be expected, there wasn't even that much action overall.

Baby Driver - 8/10...good movie with solid character arcs, nice plot, and driving action scenes that didn't make me cringe or roll my eyes.

Wonder Woman - 8/10...it's been a very long time (nearly a decade), but DC has come out with a very solid superhero movie. Very minor moments of cringe-worthy dialogue and some action scenes aren't going to age well, but very good plot and character arcs. This is how you do a more serious / darker movie than Marvel...and do it right.

You're Next

It's not meant to be a comedy but I couldn't stop laughing because it was so cheesy. This horror flick is like a slightly gory Home Alone.

Deleted
    How could this movie not be amazing?

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
    Everyone needs to see this. It's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
    Not the last movie I saw but it was quite recent. Nocturnal Animals and I really enjoyed it. I'm terrible with rating things because I'm simple. I like it or I don't, but if pressed I guess I would say around 8.5 or 9. I really enjoyed it because a lot of suspense movies don't really get under your skin but this one very much did so. The car chase portion of the movie really had my anxiety levels rising.
    Nocturnal animals was great and easily one of the best films of 2016

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally got around to seeing Get Out. - 9/10.

Amazing film. Exactly the sort of thriller this new age of cinema needed. The character's developmental juxtaposition was on point as well. If I could pay someone to burn this out of my memory I would, just to experience it again for the first time.
    Last edited by Luko; 2017-07-09 at 11:09 PM.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Spider-man: Homecoming - 8/10

Movie was great, very different from the classic Spider-Man we've had in previous movies, if you have seen some Ultimate Spider-Man and enjoyed it you are going to like this movie. The only thing I found a bit unbearable was Aunt May, her scenes were kinda weird.

7+ Year Old Account
    Here Alone (2016) - 7/10

Nothing flashy. A story about people trying to survive. Worthwhile if you like that kind of movie.

Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice / The Shape of Voice) (2016) - 8/10

Wonderful anime drama movie, which is quite clever and beautiful. I don't agree that it's better than Your Name though, which I thought was structured and put together in a better way, but still absolutely worth watching.

Spider-man: Homecoming (2017) - 7/10

I don't know, it was quite good, but I wasn't really super blown away by anything. It was pretty funny (shout out to Karen), but not super-funny. The action scenes were fine, but nothing spectacular. The villain was quite good, especially compared to most other villains in the MCU, but not mind-blowingly good. The movie felt kinda low on the stakes to me, like it wasn't really important for anything.

I also thought they overdid the "it's Peter's fault" thing, I'm not a big fan of seeing heroes save the day from a threat they caused themselves (looking at you, Age of Ultron). I enjoy coming-of-age/high-school movies, but I don't love them the same way some other people do.

Spiderman: Homecoming, 6/10. Too many "Hi I am a nerdy kid and regularly embarass myself" and not enough ass kicking.

Arrival - 7/10 Good movie that gave me Alien(the original) vibes, in that you were never certain of what was going on with aliens arriving and the mysteries surrounding it. Don't mistake that for there being action and horror in the same way that the original Alien movies did it though. Thought provoking serious movie for sure.

The Lego Batman Movie - 8/10 I'm a sucker for a good lego movie with lots of understandable pop culture references. Well done on using the same people to VA the same characters from the original Lego Movie. Good plot for what it is, family friendly humor and so on. Love the creativity on lego constructions as well.

Spider-Man: Homecoming

So, First let me acknowledge my own fan bias. I love Spider-Man. He's been my favourite fictional character since I was a kid. So my review may be a little glossier than the average person.

Tom Holland is a fantastic Peter Parker/Spider-Man. He's exactly what a very young Spider-Man should be. He was awesome in Civil War and he's awesome in this. A lot of young actors can't really carry an entire movie (which is why we typically see guy in their late 20's cast as high school students) but Holland pulls it off.

Michael Keaton is always fucking great. RDJ is always fucking great. I would have loved to see the two of them on screen together...but it wasn't meant to be.

A lot of people talk about the stakes being low...and it's true that they are...but I'm totally fine with that. Not every Superhero movie needs to be on a global+ scale. This was, if I may borrow a term we use in comics, a very "street level" movie. 15 year old Spider-Man isn't up to Saving the World and that was kind of the entire point of the movie. He needs to grow. In terms of filmmaking it's always a good idea because it leaves a lot of room to make the second movie bigger without overloading it with too many villains (Which was a huge problem in the other Spider-Man Films..Specifically Spider-man 3 and ASM 2.)

There are a lot of nods to the comics that will probably blow right past the non-reader...but will make fanboys like me smile. I'm pretty sure I know who the Villain will be in the sequel...but I'll stay quiet about that for now. A lot of crumbs they can follow for other characters to show up in later movies as well.

Now, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie...but there were some problems I can admit to. As great as Keaton is....his character could have been a little more established. The transformation from normal guy to arch villain could have been a little smoother. There are some pacing issues during the movie as well. And, as much as I don't really need to see another Spider-Man Origin story...a quick flashback to what actually happened to Uncle Ben might have been nice. In the Comics (and the other movies), Ben's Death is the defining moment in Peter's Life and something that Peter still carries with him to this day. I know a lot of people are sick of hearing about great power/ great responsibility...but it is the most important part of the character. We never really see if this Peter feels responsible for what happened to Uncle Ben. The closest we see to it is Peter saying that his aunt has already gone through too much.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie and I highly recommend it. 8/10.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

"The House" 7/10

It was good as far as Will Ferrel movies go. The critics gave it horrible ratings, but I give it props for not being that predictable and never staying on a sensitive issue for too long. It was entertaining, I laughed. The jog montage seen was hilarious. It was worth a watch, might buy the DVD when it goes in the $5 bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    How could this movie not be amazing?

I admire your perseverance but you aren't convincing anyone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    I admire your perseverance but you aren't convincing anyone.
    The new power rangers movie have no flaws. It's perfect at what it did.
    It's full of mind games and story driven by emotions and feelings.

I loved it. I consider it a piece of art unlike the majority of movies i see nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    The new power rangers movie have no flaws. It's perfect at what it did.
    It's full of mind games and story driven by emotions and feelings.

I loved it. I consider it a piece of art unlike the majority of movies i see nowadays.
    i watched those clips of the power rangers you linked. Reminded me of that shitty twilight series. Low budget with lots of mood lighting to make those sexy "teens" even more sexy. With special effects that make films from the 80s look state of the art. Why can't they even make jumping look normal and not some dude hog tied to a crane

7+ Year Old Account
    Spiderman Homecoming
    8/10
    Much more whimsical take on Spiderman. I actually thought Ned was very funny and added an extra level of nerd to Parkers character which was pretty good. One thing I did not like were the fight scenes.

Next movie War for the Planet of the Apes!

Spider-Man: Homecoming 7/10

Pretty fun. I enjoyed Holland, Downey, Keaton & Tomei an awful lot. Terrific performances all around. Solid writing but film doesn't get Spider-Man's central character trait; crushing, overwhelming guilt. Spidey's life is suppose to be a wreck.

Also some of the action scenes were kinda lackluster.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-07-10 at 01:47 AM.

When did Spidey lose his spider sense?
    I wasn't really wowed by this take on Spider-Man...6/10
    Maybe I'm just tired of comic book movies.