Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Plague Inc: Evolved.
    Hollow Knight.
    Defense Grid: The Awakening and it's sequel.
    FTL: Faster than Light.
    Eufloria.
    Deponia series.
    War for the Overworld.
    Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit.
    Hard Reset.

Some of these are not all that underrated. The Dead Rabbit one and Eufloria might be the least known, yet both are pretty decent.

Hollow Knight is absolutely the best one of these, but it's not necessarily for everyone. This Metroidvania game has some difficulty to it, and it has it's moments where you don't know wtf you are supposed to do or where to go (had to google few times. There is very little hand holding.), but it's fucking awesome. Has plenty of influence from Dark Souls, in that the world you are in is completely unknown, and is left for the player to figure it out from bits and pieces. You are pretty much expected to die, but it's fine, as it's not very punishing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Some of these are not all that underrated. The Dead Rabbit one and Eufloria might be the least known, yet both are pretty decent.

Hollow Knight is absolutely the best one of these, but it's not necessarily for everyone. This Metroidvania game has some difficulty to it, and it has it's moments where you don't know wtf you are supposed to do or where to go (had to google few times. There is very little hand holding.), but it's fucking awesome. Has plenty of influence from Dark Souls, in that the world you are in is completely unknown, and is left for the player to figure it out from bits and pieces. You are pretty much expected to die, but it's fine, as it's not very punishing.
    I just wanted to say, before the "like Dark Souls" bit turns anyone off, it's not really "hard". Like most metroidvanias, there's a lot of bosses, and the bosses have patterns. Dying means you lose all your "geo" (money), but it's held by a ghost that spawns at/near where you died. Kill the ghost, get your money back.

If you die a second time WITHOUT killing the first ghost, all that money's gone. However;

1> Money isn't limited. You can always grind more. And it's not really something you'll probably be short on. The most expensive thing in the game is like 4k geo, and I think I'm out of stuff to buy, with a ways to go in-game, a bunch of stuff I haven't sold, AND I lose about 4-5k from dying badly. Without grinding at any point thus far.

2> There's a way to summon your ghost to a safe spot to kill it easily, if you lost it way in the middle of nowhere and nowhere close to a save point. It's somewhat restricted, but I've got tons of unused uses of this feature before I'd have to pay for it.

It feels very "fair". You die because you fucked up, not because the game cheated or there was an attack you couldn't see coming. And it's not one of those "get hit once and die" games; I've got 8 (I think) health points where I'm at now, and you start with 5 or 6, and the regen mechanism can be used on the fly and is actually really well-designed IMO (charges up from dealing damage, has to be "channeled" to use meaning you're stationary, so hard to use mid-fight but can be with proper timing).

There's no hand-holding. You'll get lost, and wander. But that's sort of the point, and it captures that sense of exploration and discovery better than any other Metroidvania type game I think I have ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    War For The Overworld, though Dungeons 2 is a good game, it's just not truly a DK successor, nor does it need to be.
    Dungeons II is not a good game, which was the point of my post. It's shallow and severely lacking in every way. I don't mind it that much because these games are few and far between so I have virtually no choice in the matter but it's not something that should be recommended to anyone unless they happen to obsessed with Dungeon Keeper-esque games.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/ - Satellite Reign kind of like a modern version of the old game Syndicate.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322190/ - SteamWorld Heist : 2D turn based strategy type game set in a steampunk setting.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/362680/ - Fran Bow : Twisted point and click adventure game. Oddly addictive even though it gets weird af.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269210/ - Hero Siege : Rpg/rogue-like/top down hack-n-slash. Cartoony but fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/232750/ - Mars: War Logs : Cyberpunk-ish, third person, rpg shooter mash up. Didn't expect much but enjoyed the hell out of it.

There's several other games, but I just wanted to post the few I found to be my fav's for underrated titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Oh, also, Shoot Many Robots. It is a very simple sidescroller where you're a dude in funny clothes with ridiculous weapons who shoots evil robots. It has coop with friends (up to 4) and is really fun. I have gotten a lot of hours out of it despite it's simplicity. Definitely worth picking up a multipack to play with a buddy.
    Is this game soloable? Looks interesting but implies it needs to be played co-op.

For my contribution, I mentioned Crosscode before. A 16-bit style action RPG that puts you into a grinding MMO world. Has a charm that grabbed me.

Secrets of Grindea is another fun ARPG, but has been in Early Access for forever.

Dustforce is a surprisingly fun platformer where your goal is to clean.

Skyborn is the best RPGMaker RPG I've played so far. That's not saying much, but for people looking for those, it's worth a look.

Super House of Dead Ninjas
    is a nice but short rogue-lite. Earning achievements gets your upgrades you can choose from each run.

Tidalis has a really cool basic concept for a puzzle game, but I felt the extra crap they add on to it made it way too confusing. People might have fun with it otherwise.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2017-07-11 at 10:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Is this game soloable? Looks interesting but implies it needs to be played co-op.
    Yes, you can definitely play it solo. I've actually played it alone a lot. It just has much higher replayability with friends. It's very fun as a coop game but still enjoyable solo.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream View Post
    Eden Star has potential but that game has been in Early Access for far too long and there's not nearly enough content to justify purchasing it. Singularity, however, is a solid shooter but it's way too short.

Would have to be Factorio
    I've spent tens of hours refining the efficiency of my factory and am still nowhere near launching that damned rocket.
    It has overwhelmingly positive reviews but not a game I see mentioned that often.

7+ Year Old Account
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/10...lur_Reckoning/

Fun little Action RPG that was forgotten on consoles but found some life back on the PC

Alien Shooter 1 & 2 - Guilty pleasure game of mass carnage.

Antichamber - Really interesting first-person puzzle game.

Axiom Verge - Metroid-style game with NES-style graphics. Exceptionally well done game with a great soundtrack.

Banished - Relaxing city-builder. No combat, just build.

Dead Cells - Rogue-light Metroidvania with some of the best pixel art I've seen in a game. Still Early Access, but a damn good game already.

Deathtrap - Tower Defense game that mixes in some Diablo-style gameplay.

Defender's Quest - Quirky little Tower Defense game.

Dex - 2D cyberpunk action/adventure game, fully voiced, with interesting enough character builds.

Disgaea PC - One of the best turn-based JRPGs I've played; you can easily rack up hundreds of hours into this game.

D&D Chronicles of Mystara - Old-school side-scrolling beat-em-up set in D&D, up to 4 players, and the different classes really play like their D&D counterparts (came out
    years ago in the arcades).

Grim Dawn - ARPG using an updated Titan Quest engine, great build variety, good story, solid game overall.

Infested Planet - RTS-light, but a little addicting for some reason.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - Low budget God of War clone with repetitive combat, but has enough charm to stand out.

Prison Architect - Build and manage a prison. Simplistic graphics, but lots of depth.

Rabi-Ribi - Metroidvania + bullet hell.

Recettear - Fairly simplistic game where you manage a shop for adventurers, but has loads of charm.

SpaceChem - Great free-form puzzle game.

Styx: Master of Shadows - Great stealth game.

Xenonauts - An XCOM sequel that sticks to being more true to the original XCOM than the flashy, shallow remake.

Some different kinds of puzzles:

Human Resources Machine (http://store.steampowered.com/app/37...ource_Machine/)
    Might not count as "underrated" seeing as how it came from the World of Goo people, but I don't see it mentioned much.
    Simple programming-based logic puzzles that start with first-year CompSci logic stuff and progressing to more complex processing tasks. The bonus objectives in particular are fun to try and crack, I thought.

TIS-100 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/370360/TIS100/)
    Another programming puzzle game, distributed task processing. This is slightly more direct, tasking your with writing in an assembly-like language and juggling CPU registers in a bunch of virtual processors.
    Although there aren't that many bonus objectives, my friends and I found a lot of fun in trying to outdo each other in efficiency.

According to my steam playtime stats.... I should probably mention Crusaders of the Lost Idols (6000+ hours played).
    It's one of those annoying idle/clicker games with some strategic/rpg elements that just gets annoyingly easy to forget running in the background and then end up tinkering with it a bit. While Clicker Heroes (... 6600+ hours afked?) is straight up mindless idle/clickbot zerg, CotLI has way more depth in lots of various objectives & formations to beat, many crusaders with various different abilities, which opens up many different builds to play. It has lots of issues & bugs (mainly due to being a flash game) but.... they keep adding or updating events for it, every 2-3 weeks, with more new crusaders to unlock & whatnot... can't help playing it.

Victor Vran. ARPG similar to The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (another arpg that I have *very* mixed feelings about, mostly due to lots of gameplay issues & bugs), but was quite fun to play through & finish. Limited customization ability, but worth a look. Was fun in 2 player co-op with friend (until we finished it, then never went back to it again). For challenge fiends, there's star ratings for every map to find all secrets & speed clear & beat everything like a baws.

Dungeons of Dredmor. Turn based roguelike with lots of classes & silly humor & weird stuff. Was quite fun for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    D&D Chronicles of Mystara - Old-school side-scrolling beat-em-up set in D&D, up to 4 players, and the different classes really play like their D&D counterparts (came out
    years ago in the arcades).
    I can't believe I forgot this one! It was my fav arcade game back in the day and I own it. >_<

I seriously need to play that more often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by desdelian View Post
    Dark Sector was a pretty fun TPP shooter that gave birth to the mechanic of remote batarang from the Batman games, it was one of the main gimmicks in this. I think like a top of 10 people maybe played this game, which is a shame.
    did you know that dark sector is the fundation of WARFRAME one of the most played games on steam and probably the best F2P game out there

Quote Originally Posted by Koyoti View Post
    Would have to be Factorio
    I've spent tens of hours refining the efficiency of my factory and am still nowhere near launching that damned rocket.
    It has overwhelmingly positive reviews but not a game I see mentioned that often.
    factorio is the way building games should have always been designed. the better you get at it, the less you have to micromanage and the faster you can build insanely large complexes that only you can understand. Money well spent but i recommend starting out with the aliens on passive mode to learn how to play without getting constantly assaulted.

Rock of Ages although this might have been more popular than I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly unknown, but not terribly popular from what I've seen: Subnautica.
    Beautiful world, fun survival mechanics. Looking forward to when it's completely finished here in a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by G3istly View Post
    Dungeons II is not a good game, which was the point of my post. It's shallow and severely lacking in every way. I don't mind it that much because these games are few and far between so I have virtually no choice in the matter but it's not something that should be recommended to anyone unless they happen to obsessed with Dungeon Keeper-esque games.
    I recommend it, I find its humor and fairy-tale charm entertaining, and with its sequel coming out later this year, it's a good chance to get into the franchise. It's a good game.

Space Rangers HD: A War Apart http://store.steampowered.com/app/21...D_A_War_Apart/
    Procedure generated space rpg with quests, space exploration, trading, bounty hunting, RTS missions, text adventures and many other things. Beautiful soundtrack, great art design. One of the best and deepest games ever, in my opinion.

Europe 1400: The Guild
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/39..._Gold_Edition/
    Unique business simulator with politics and dynasty management.