Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Please for the love of christ don't make most of her character built on the fact that she's a woman, the only way people are ever going to stop caring about race and gender is if we stop portraying it in such a major way. I hope she acts like the Doctor, and not the female doctor.
    Now THIS I completely agree - and it's OK to air those concerns!

My problem is people speaking of what you wrote of as if it's going to be 100% fact!

But I agree, I don't want her to turn into some River Song Clone - where she's always acting all sexy/slutty, flirting/hitting on men all the time and having every episode have people trying to hit on her. >_<

I want her to act like an eccentric mother/grandmother - just as the prior actors acted like eccentric father/grandfathers.

Honestly I don't want her to have a sexual side at all, or at least, have it ambiguous much like Capaldi - althought I feel like we're gonna be hamfisted one
    i foresee lots of awkward situations where the doctor is being hit on and lots of situations where the doctor is being hit on and doesnt know.

but, we already got things like that with matt and amy and then matt and river song, and then matt and clara. so, it wont be that different.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I still ask - why has this never happened before, then? Remember, the Doctor is on his second set of lives. If he could become a she, why did he never do it in the first 13 lives? If it's so commonplace, why haven't we had three or four female doctors?

This would have been a LOT more revolutionary in, say, 1980, than it is now. Now it just stinks of the same "Oh, aren't we clever, aren't we cheeky, aren't we sly?" junk that Moffet's been pushing since he took over the show. And yes, I know Chibnall's the one who cast her, and he's the one who is leading the charge now. But come on. You really think this was anywhere near anything but a foregone conclusion? It's the easy way out. Of course they're going to make the Doctor a woman, when feminism and inequality are such hot topics.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Because it wouldn't be an outcry if Wonder Woman suddenly became a man.
    The term Doctor is gender neutral. Woman is not. That's the difference.

I wonder if she will have a male or female companion

- - - Updated - - -

Which is another way of saying, I wonder if she'll be straight or gay
    the doctors always been bisexual
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Which is another way of saying, I wonder if she'll be straight or gay
    Was Missy straight or gay?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of the person who's going to be playing the new Doctor, I have utterly no idea what to expect of her in terms of performances in the role.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Honestly, I expect your so-called "femnazis and SJWs" who may complain of that will probably far FAR in fewer number
    I dunno where or how long you live but this femnazi stupidity like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xJI4zYR5o8
    didnt exist when I was a kid in the 70ies so please stop claiming femnazis always existed. Its a thing of the 2000+ yt generation....

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Doctor is not even a man to begin with. He's an alien who can regenerate into any gender.
    But obviously only into one skin tone....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Never heard of the person who's going to be playing the new Doctor, I have utterly no idea what to expect of her in terms of performances in the role.
    The new showrunner worked with her on broadchurch (uk version)
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2017-07-16 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Was Missy straight or gay?
    the master being gay has been a longrunning joke. thats why he has the beard.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it changes based on regeneration, I can't remember what episode it was explained (one of the pre eccleston ones) but it definitely changes from regeneration to regeneration.
    i dont recall sexuality ever being mentioned in classic who. but in new who the doctor has kissed the same amount of men as he has women and imo the doctor doesnt really care one way or the other. im pretty sure the doctor is pansexul. hes fucked humans, zygons, glopaphorps, dude gets around i dont think gender matters much to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    The problem is that its done NOT because a Time Lord can regenerate into both sexes but because it has to be done NOW.
    like making a ghostbuster reboot with 4 female leads - no we dont make a NEW story we just reboot it and replace male with female
    like female iron man - no we dont make her into a new, her OWN, hero but replace a male with female....

Oh and have I mentioned that this is again a white doctor?....
    You seem to be raging about... Something. And truth be told, I've absolutely no idea what it is.

What's the point you're trying to make?

Your first paragraph is, to be brutally frank, almost complete gibberish. If you're trying to draw analogies, they're extremely poor.

Please note that I've not read all your posts in this thread, so feel free to abridge your point. Just, you know, try and have one.

Thanks.

Please for the love of christ don't make most of her character built on the fact that she's a woman, the only way people are ever going to stop caring about race and gender is if we stop portraying it in such a major way. I hope she acts like the Doctor, and not the female doctor.
    lmao the entire series arc will be about how he's now a woman and how that makes him feel and how empowered he is and how women are better than men.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by ThanksForTheMemories View Post
    lmao the entire series arc will be about how he's now a woman and how that makes him feel and how empowered he is and how women are better than men.
    you mean like how 12s entire series arc was about how he was a grumpy old man

"It's literally impossible for an iconic male character to be remade into a female character. Soorry [sic] just doesn't work."

Watched 4 people get publicly fired by their employers for their rants on Facebook. The amount of absurdity people are spewing over this is laughable but disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    you mean like how 12s entire series arc was about how he was a grumpy old man

"It's literally impossible for an iconic male character to be remade into a female character. Soorry [sic] just doesn't work."

I can call exact lines and scenarios from the episodes without even trying

*victorian england*
    *Evil Patriarchal Man enters*
    Evil Male: I have a problem
    The Doctor: Have no fear patriarchal overlord. I'm the Doctor. Last of the Timelords. I'm three thousand years old and through my new found femininity I will save you, through the power of compassion and womanhood
    Evil Male: Ho ho ho. You can't help. You're a WOMAN.
    The Doctor: How very dare you sir. I'll have you know that *insert 5-8 minutes of pointless rambling, likely written by Immitis*

-20minutes later-

Evil Man: Wow Doctor, you totally saved me. You're right, women are so strong! As strong as men! Maybe even STRONGER!

This shit writes itself lmao give me money BBC
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Because it wouldn't be an outcry if Wonder Woman suddenly became a man.
    Hey, if she wants to become a he, there is surgery.

For the doctor, its a matter of a regeneration. We know timelords can change gender...master/missy.....so the question is, why are you upset about it?

I dont care if the Doctor is a woman. The actress they picked is awful and cringy. Go watch Broadchurch, I can guarantee you want to fast forward through the scenes she is in.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshiIsu View Post
    Hey, if she wants to become a he, there is surgery.

For the doctor, its a matter of a regeneration. We know timelords can change gender...master/missy.....so the question is, why are you upset about it?

Which was only written in recently to appease the 1%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    OK - so, apparently there’s a lot of kurfluffel about the new Doctor now becoming a woman. So, I’m going to write this to hopefully dispel some people’s issues with it.

First off, speaking as decades-old fan, let me assure you that I get where you’re concerns are coming from! I get why you’re worried! I share many of them too. One example of this is that, while I love that they’re finally moving on this progressive idea - however, for some reason, they opted to cast a stereotypical attractive young blonde for the role (especially disconcerting when you know Jodie is actually a brunette in real life! >_<).

The other is how radical of a change it is to know this guy for ages, whom I grew to love and regard as the Grandfather I never had, to suddenly change to a completely different gender! Never in my life would I have thought that one-day I’d find my eccentric grandfatherly figure of almost 30 years to be “pretty damn hot!” (conversely though, I now get to feel like how the fangirls did for so many years! :P)

There’s much more I get, but I will address those below.

But for now - let me give my 2 cents and bring up a couple points.

First off, let me tell you about how I felt of Matt Smith when they first revealed his generic publicity photo all those years ago.

I was shocked! For the first time the Doctor wasn’t just going to be younger than me, but a LOT younger than me! Damn near a kid! And an emo-looking kid who’s publicity photo had Twilight-esque mood lighting to it! First thing I said was “God damnit, they’re catering to the Twilight fans!” (as, around then, Twilight was all the rage)

Then, I saw him in costume and my jaw dropped. The bow tie, the grey suit coat, the check trousers! My whole opinion changed in a FLASH!

Then I saw him perform, and he captured the spirit of the Doctor INSTANTLY! He perfectly captured the eccentric, intelligent man I knew and loved! He rapidly changed from a “Twilight emo kid” to became one of my favorite Doctors to this date!

What I’m saying here is this: Wait to see her in costume. Wait to see her perform. It’s all about HOW the character will be written, and how she will perform it! If they stick to her being a eccentric grandfatherly (now grandmotherly) it will work perfectly! Now, if they try to “River Song” her up and walk around like a sexed-up slut, flirting with everyone and everyone else hitting on her in every episode… yeah, then I’ll be standing with you waiving pitchforks too. But, until then, I’m going to wait and see if they pull this off right. There’s a lot of pressure on Jodie to pull this off, and lets be honest - they (Jodie and the producers) KNOW that they have to get this right!

Secondly, is another point I want to address. Quite possibly the most important point I want to make in this entire post: How many consider this change too “Radical” of a change for a beloved series!

I’ve got a newsflash for you… this isn’t the most radical change to ever happen in Doctor Who.

So, what was the most radical change ever in Doctor Who that I’m referring to? What could POSSIBLY be more radical than swapping out the main male star of the show with a female!?

Easy - swaping out the main star for somebody radically different ALTOGETHER! I’m referring to the first regeneration ever… William Hartnell to Patrick Troughton.

Here we have a series, starring an old fun-yet-cantankerous eccentric old man who rapidly grew in three years to become a cultural icon of England… to remove this actor and replace him with not just another old man - but a younger man who’s shorter, goofier, sillier and looks like a hobo!

People forget that the concept of “Regeneration” in Doctor Who never existed until this point. We take it for granted today… Hell, we theory craft with friends who could play it next, and now even hold betting matches on who the next Doctor is! You have to remember that this never existed before 1965… I mean, Imagine if they tried “regenerating” Agent Moulder in X-Files, or “Regenerating” Piccard in Star Trek - where it’s the same character, but different body! People would throw fits! There was already enough problems when they replaced Moulder for a few seasons, never mind trying to CHANGE the actor overnight!

And that’s not all… consider this: If they NEVER tried that change - we wouldn’t have the show today. Indeed, I’m expecting this to be a prevalent part of the Xmas episode since it’s going to be dealing also with that very same radical design decision ever - to change the very first Doctor into somebody else!

So, those who are hating on this change - I just ask you to “relax” and realize we haven’t seen “her” yet. Wait until we see her in Costume. Wait for her to be written. Wait for her to perform the role. Definitely air your concerns right now (so they don’t make mistakes in production later!) but air them constructively, not angrily! Again, this isn’t the most radical change to the show ever. It COULD be if they do it wrong, but that’s a chance with every Doctor (Hell, they almost did with Capaldi being an insensitive Jackass his first season!). There’s a chance Jodie may knock the role out of the ballpark and you may never want the Doctor to go back to being a man ever again!

The moral of this story is this: Anything is possible in Doctor Who - and it’s because of the VERY idea of radical change is why we still have this program today to enjoy! So, relax and see how the next Doctor works out. Trust me, if she’s awful - I’ll be right here with you. But, until then, I’m looking forward to her potentially paving a way for a whole new generation! ^_^
    As usual, there's more people posting about why it's right to have a woman Dr Who than there are people complaining about it being a woman in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Watched 4 people get publicly fired by their employers for their rants on Facebook. The amount of absurdity people are spewing over this is laughable but disgusting.
    Well now, that must've been hilarious to witness.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Deleted
    I dont care if it's a female actor, as long as we don't get a load of ham fisted girlll power statements in every episode. As long as I can still see the character as the doctor first and the doctor just happens to be a woman, then that's fine.
    I have no idea who this actress is, so as with all new doctors, I'll give her a go when her seasons starts.

Though honestly, the writing of the last few seasons has been so bad, id it carries on it won't matter who is playing the doctor, I won't be watching it. Capaldi is an amazing actor, but his whole run was full of terrible episodes and writing