Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Oh the irony.
    It's the classic line of "I'm not sexist/racist/ect, but...."

I hope she knocks it out of the park so I can sarcastically complain when the doctor goes back to a man. If the last two male doctors are any indication, they should keep her as a her where she belongs. No reason to change what works!

That being said, the changes behind the scenes are what gives me hope. I was worried for a while that when this time came that the show would be filled with jokes about her gender non-stop, but it should be fine now. I hope she channels her inner 10 a bit~

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I hope she knocks it out of the park so I can sarcastically complain when the doctor goes back to a man. If the last two male doctors are any indication, they should keep her as a her where she belongs. No reason to change what works!
    ...um...look, I get peoples quibbles with Capaldi - but, you speak of Matt Smith as if it's "common knowledge that everybody knows" he was somehow bad. WTF!? I'd venture to guess the vast majority of the series fans thought he was awesome! o_O

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...um...look, I get peoples quibbles with Capaldi - but, you speak of Matt Smith as if it's "common knowledge that everybody knows" he was somehow bad. WTF!? I'd venture to guess the vast majority of the series fans thought he was awesome! o_O
    People complained about 10 and 11 at the time they were the doctors until just before they were gone, a bit earlier with 10 though. Your chart from earlier applies to 10, 11, and 12. You will see people suddenly miss Capaldi in about a year despite people not really enjoying him right now.

9 has generally been beloved forever, but I'm willing to bet it was because he was the first doctor of the revival of the show. I've liked each of the new doctors in varying degrees, but I just find this "the show might die now!" stuff cause she is a woman now to be silly and worth a little mocking~

Not meaning to color yesterday's wonderful news with a bit of sadness... but news just broke that Trevor Baxter passed away last night.

For those not in the know, from the Classic Doctor Who tale "The Talons of Weng Chiang" and the more recent (and very successful) Big Finish series "Jago and Litefoot", Trevor played the ever enigmatic and stalwart Professor George Litefoot - who, in the Who-fan universe, forever made his name as part of an amazing paring with Christopher Benjamin's character of Henry Gordon Jago.

Personally this was a gut-punch to me as I've absolutely adored their Big Finish series, and purchased every single one of them on day 1 without hesitation. Such a shame their rumored series way back in the 70s never got launched...and to end so abruptly.

But, ironically, to tie it in with Jodie's announcement - Trevor IRL was an extremely outspoken and active progressive and constantly fought for policy for his country/world, and it makes me smile just a little bit knowing he lived long enough to see the first female Doctor. Chances are he probably passed away happy with this news - knowing that as he leaves this realm that his world and country, whatever its faults are, still moves forward.

R.I.P. =(

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't even watch this show, but I need to get this off my chest. I'm getting so fucking tired of the endless supply of grudges people have for one another for trivial shit. Just like with this reveal yesterday (or any other video/music/game-related thing).

One side loses a long-term favourite to someone they don't recognise. What does the other party do? Call them misogynists or tell then 500 times their 2 year old daughter, who can't even watch the show, now has a new role-model.

The other side has been left out of leadership and role-models for a long time, and finally get a little piece of their own. Not in some pulp fiction-esque style bombastic, but in a dignified series. What does the other party do? Call them out for liking it, not allowing them to have any of it, denying them because of their sex.

Now everywhere there are raving asshats and apologetic white knights bombarding one another because of a change in a super-fucking-trivial entertainment peace. And only a handful of people are actually capable of thinking "it is what it is, let's see how this goes, time will tell".

/vent
    But now the biggest part,
    is all about the image
    and not the art

Quote Originally Posted by Faifel View Post
    There are a lot of people who didn't enjoy 9 at the time.
    Oh really? I must have joined in on the fandom right as the wheel was at the end, to reference mvallas' chart earlier~

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Please for the love of christ don't make most of her character built on the fact that she's a woman, the only way people are ever going to stop caring about race and gender is if we stop portraying it in such a major way.
    Too late

Quote Originally Posted by Strangewayes View Post
    Too late

I'm a 20 yr old that doesn't fit into any of those categories, feelfuckingbadman, I want my own article too.

I love how the left wing trend is, instead of commenting on why they feel something isn't about political correctness, they just insult those that do.
    Last edited by durrtygoodz; 2017-07-17 at 06:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Too late

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/uFumNUt.png[IMG]
    Dude, seriously - what's wrong with you? This is the SECOND troll-post from you with the words "too late" and some twit/news article that does VERY little to back your claim other than giving those news outlets some extra hits via their opinion piece. All you do is just rile up paranoid people like yourself (see ThanksForTheMemories above post) who are just like you. You're convincing nobody but yourself here, bud.

Do you, like, have an ACTUAL opinion about this? or is your whole purpose to try to convince these forums that there's some bullshit secret SJW uprising conspiracy going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Bill (had to actually google her name because she was so forgettable) was just a completely shit character through and through, the whole season felt like one big circlejerk over the fact that she likes vaginas, big whoop no one cares.
    I just watched the whole season. She mentioned it a few times. Would your precious little comfort zone be less violated if she fell in love with a male puddle of temporal space ship goop? I thought she was funny and was a little horrified by her transformation into a Cyberman.

It seems like a pandering move honestly, and I wouldnt have changed the character so dramatically, you dont need to take away male roles to make effective female roles, you just need a good story. That being said, I'll still give it a watch but I dont think this was very necessary.
    There is only one Doctor Who. Changing him into anything else besides a British White Male would be considered pandering to some people. A key feature of the character is the ability to reincarnate into another person. It would be dishonest to not try something else.

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly why Season 8 gave us an insensitive jackass Doctor for Capaldi's first run and had to have him completely re-personalitied the following 2 seasons - but by then the damage was too late! =/
    I'm not sure I would say Dr#12 was an insensitive jackass. More like just had a crusty exteriour.
    He's at first:
    "Get off my lawn!"
    But reconsiders:
    "Ok, fine. Get on my lawn!"
    Because at his core he's a decent person.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Too late

Well, She will be upset since I am someone who is Pro-Gamergate, yet give zero fucks about the Doctor being a Female. The only question I asked was how would it affect relationships to the Doctor. I.e. If the FemDoc gained a Male Love interest then regenerated back to a Dude, would they make the love interest Gay? or Just kill him off? Or would they just Make the love interests Female still and hit the Lesbian quota?

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, seriously - what's wrong with you? This is the SECOND troll-post from you with the words "too late" and some twit/news article that does VERY little to back your claim other than giving those news outlets some extra hits via their opinion piece. All you do is just rile up paranoid people like yourself (see ThanksForTheMemories above post) who are just like you. You're convincing nobody but yourself here, bud.

Do you, like, have an ACTUAL opinion about this? or is your whole purpose to try to convince these forums that there's some bullshit secret SJW uprising conspiracy going on?
    Pretty sure his post was to point out to the person he quoted that morons are already making this about Gender Issues and other bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I.e. If the FemDoc gained a Male Love interest then regenerated back to a Dude, would they make the love interest Gay?
    I think you're supposed to call it "pansexual" these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    I'm a little amazed people are surprised the next Doctor is a woman. It was obvious they were testing the water by making the Master a female. Not to mention the hints in the last episode; i'm paraphrasing but a conversation went as this:

Master - "So what? Is the future womenhood!"
    Doctor - "We can only hope"

I also think the regeneration is heavily influenced by his companions who have mostly been women and impressed the Doctor. I also think Bill's comment about about "You're too old and not a woman" comment may be why he becomes a young(ish) woman

- - - Updated - - -

I also think it's highly unlikely The 13th Doctor will romance a companion BUT I do hope the next companion is male for a change

Deleted
    The fuck is the point in having a conversation with someone if your gonna start off with "precious little comfort zone"?

She was a totally forgettable companion in a badly written season, as ever you get a few solid moments at the end but thats about it for me, I didnt get any impact from her outside of the Cyberman transition, which the deus ex machina-goop pretty much made irrelevant anyway. (Which btw, feels a bit odd even for doctor who, that stuff seems ridiculously powerful to just be random run off from a ship). For me watching, most of what I remember is just chips and sexuality.

Been watching it since I was a kid, for me the character change seems rather unnecessary, I'll obviously give it a chance but at the same time I dont see any point in changing it so randomly.
    See I don't see the gender change so random, for me they have been building up to it for 3 seasons. I agree Bill was a terrible companion and unforgettable beyond the last episode

For me watching, most of what I remember is just chips and sexuality.
    I thought there was other memorable bits:
    A giant space ship on the edge of a black hole with some messed up temporal mechanics.
    Old school cheezy looking cybermen being fairly menacing.
    Master/Missy being frenemies with themselves.
    Missy's elaborate execution.
    Orwellian Space Monks.
    Wooden Mommies.
    Oxygen as a commodity.
    The pope interrupting date night. Could happen to anyone!

Although to be fair a cute joke about giving away extra chips to a cute girl (by another girl!) TOTALLY OVERWHELMED EVERYTHING ELSE! I'm gonna open a chip shop right now.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    See I don't see the gender change so random, for me they have been building up to it for 3 seasons. I agree Bill was a terrible companion and unforgettable beyond the last episode
    They are doing it kinda poorly imo. In universe no one has ever been like "I always thought the dr was a woman" or something like that.

They shoulda had an episode where on some planet when the Dr and Billie meets the damsel in distress(or what ever u call the person they help that week) the D.I.D. thinks Billie is the Dr because they had always thought the dr was a woman and the Dr. is letting her take lead on this one. Then when 2-3 episodes in with the new female Dr. she should have gone to the same planet in the past and helped out the Ancestor of the D.I.D.

5+ Year Old Account
    I thought this season was great. Pearl's acting was terrific, so kinda sad to see her go. I'm also really going to miss Capaldi, but I'm excited to see a new head honcho in charge along with the first Timelady in the Tardis; I kinda hope they make her personality along the lines of a female Tennant with some shades of Capaldi/Eccleston thrown in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    They are doing it kinda poorly imo. In universe no one has ever been like "I always thought the dr was a woman" or something like that.

They shoulda had an episode where on some planet when the Dr and Billie meets the damsel in distress(or what ever u call the person they help that week) the D.I.D. thinks Billie is the Dr because they had always thought the dr was a woman and the Dr. is letting her take lead on this one. Then when 2-3 episodes in with the new female Dr. she should have gone to the same planet in the past and helped out the Ancestor of the D.I.D.
    Missy playing The Doctor happened and nobody questioned it

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Missy playing The Doctor happened and nobody questioned it
    Wasn't that in a virtual reality?