Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Sad part is, it goes faster for me to level up 1 to 110 (with no heirlooms) then 1 to 70 when i first started. Problem is that Blizzard doesn't consider leveling as a part of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Valrysha View Post
    You can and are pushed to do a class trial when you do a 100 boost. Which teaches you the basics of the class/spec.
    Lol! Have you ever Seen a class trial? I bet not. Here is one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzTZeS6fT4

Tell me, how would That give you a feel for a class? Not to mention, it wouldn't help for tanks or healers. The class trial is a joke and helps nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Lol! Have you ever Seen a class trial? I bet not. Here is one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzTZeS6fT4

Tell me, how would That give you a feel for a class? Not to mention, it wouldn't help for tanks or healers. The class trial is a joke and helps nothing.
    I've played through the class trial. I said it gives you a BASIC overview of the spec. It's not amazing, I know.
    However. I started in March. I picked a Hunter and I boosted to 100. I had a basic overview of what I was doing and 4 months later I'm rocking and rolling in a 8/9 heroic guild. 110 is not a too high level. Because it's only really 10 levels.

Deleted
    the best time I had in this game was the first year. I came from Dark Age of Camelot, where leveling was a huge part of the game, quests were minimal (certain expansions changed that for DAoC) and I spent my first year in WoW with that mentality. Leveling slowly, experiencing zones. It was easy in classic since you'd regularly need to travel for an hour at a time to the other side of the world just to hand in one quest which would send you back.

Personally I think i'd really love to join WoW now as a fresh player that hadn't been 'spoiled' to the game. So much cool stuff to experience for the first time if you're into the whole MMO thing.

I wonder if it's a mentality thing, that people get told that endgame is where it's at so they feel forced to rushrushrush to max level which can be intimidating rather than being free to experience the game like many of us were back in the day.

Of course that's not to say the rushing people are wrong, so much of the game unlocks at 110, but every time I see someone complain there's nothing to do I wonder if they've even seen the content from previous tiers/expansions. There is hours, days of content if you're remotely interested in the lore/experiences from the past.
    Last edited by mmoc67ff43d644; 2017-07-18 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoolmod View Post
    Actually 2/3 of them did make a boosted character, but after finishing the brief intro, which only teaches you a few of your actually abilities, they were immediately overwhelmed by the amount of talents, and abilities in the spellbook that they had no idea how to use properly. It works well for learning a basic rotation, but after that new players who use the boost are flung in with no real guidance past that. And as for other MMOs with better levelling - im not sure. I would also be interested in checking one out with better levelling.
    My parents are very simple people that grew up on a farm in rural america and dont grasp a lot about things beyond that life very well. Then they had me and im the kid who skips a bunch of grades because im some kind of whiz kid. The reason i bring that up is growing up being me but with parents like that forced me to learn at a very young age how to teach complicated subjects to very simple people. Heres what i learned. The human brain is a learning machine. Specifically it is a pattern recognition machine. If you want to bore a human and make sure they learn nothing, hit them with vague theory when you teach them. If you want to get a human excited about learning, throw patterns at them and their brain lights up.

If i was to actually teach wow to a new player, id give them an "opening build". Hit buttons ABCDABA or something. Let them try that a few times. Then maybe change the order and see them do more dps. get some established patterns to hook the brain. Then teach them about prioritizing a spell whenever it comes off CD.

Always remember, you lose them the SECOND you start talking theorycraft. Break that habit. Very very bad.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2017-07-18 at 12:09 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Have you actually levelled up recently?
    I've seen quite a few in dungeons running around and you know how I tell? Because they don't have heirlooms or their achievements. The game may be dated but in all honesty it was still dated when Wrath had Vanilla to Burning Crusade leveling and when Warlords had Cataclysm to Pandaria levelling.
    It's nothing new and outrageous - not everyone started from the early Alpha or Beta days and stayed. People still playing are a testament to the changes in levelling and the ever prolonged levelling experiences. Not every zone got a revisit in Cataclysm graphically, they changed quests sure but that will impact more than graphics.

People recently bought Crash Bandicoot remaster and that is not the same capabilities as say Far Cry 5 now is it? Not everyone wants to choke on ridiculously real-like graphics. The whole universe of Warcraft is fantasy. Sure it's nice when it works in a real-like quality (and the Warcraft movie was way hit and miss) but it's not a staple.

Burning Crusade came out in January 2007... And when Crysis 1 came out and was deemed a flagship graphics boat back in November 2007...

When has World of Warcraft ever been an actual dreamboat on graphics or even up-to-date in terms of capability? It never has. But it's developed tech non stop to deal with the realms of an MMORPG and kept afloat regardless of competitors with better graphics.

New players will accept it for it has, they will actually read quests, they will actually take anything and look at what's going. Over the entire lifespan of World of Warcraft there will never be a time that new players didn't join. Some stay, some leave but the fact remains if you're new to it, you're not going to throw it in the bin within 5 minutes of logging it based solely on graphics - if you then gaming isn't for you.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-07-18 at 12:24 PM.

The worst thing about levelling is that it turns to molasses around the Cataclysm. You keep running in circles for tiny bits of experience and not even good gear is given for that.
    I honestly cannot see myself levelling through WoD or Legion ever again.
    Maybe if they tweaked it to require 1,5 zones to level up through a particular expansion, it would be tolerable, and maybe even a bit fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The worst thing about levelling is that it turns to molasses around the Cataclysm. You keep running in circles for tiny bits of experience and not even good gear is given for that.
    I honestly cannot see myself levelling through WoD or Legion ever again.
    Maybe if they tweaked it to require 1,5 zones to level up through a particular expansion, it would be tolerable, and maybe even a bit fun.
    The answer is never "just make it easier". That destroys content.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    One of my frieds stated to play yesterday to test the game - since he is finally done with all his exams and now has a bit of free time until he finds a job. I think that he would rather experience the story with his first character instead of rushing to max level. So, it depends on the player.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    Have you actually levelled up recently?
    I've seen quite a few in dungeons running around and you know how I tell? Because they don't have heirlooms or their achievements. The game may be dated but in all honesty it was still dated when Wrath had Vanilla to Burning Crusade leveling and when Warlords had Cataclysm to Pandaria levelling.
    It's nothing new and outrageous - not everyone started from the early Alpha or Beta days and stayed. People still playing are a testament to the changes in levelling and the ever prolonged levelling experiences. Not every zone got a revisit in Cataclysm graphically, they changed quests sure but that will impact more than graphics.

People recently bought Crash Bandicoot remaster and that is not the same capabilities as say Far Cry 5 now is it? Not everyone wants to choke on ridiculously real-like graphics. The whole universe of Warcraft is fantasy. Sure it's nice when it works in a real-like quality (and the Warcraft movie was way hit and miss) but it's not a staple.

Burning Crusade came out in January 2007... And when Crysis 1 came out and was deemed a flagship graphics boat back in November 2007...

When has World of Warcraft ever been an actual dreamboat on graphics or even up-to-date in terms of capability? It never has. But it's developed tech non stop to deal with the realms of an MMORPG and kept afloat regardless of competitors with better graphics.

New players will accept it for it has, they will actually read quests, they will actually take anything and look at what's going. Over the entire lifespan of World of Warcraft there will never be a time that new players didn't join. Some stay, some leave but the fact remains if you're new to it, you're not going to throw it in the bin within 5 minutes of logging it based solely on graphics - if you then gaming isn't for you.
    I love WoW graphics especially because they don't try to be ultra-realistic. Comic-like design gives room for fantasy and identification, and also reduces the danger of the "uncanny valley" phenomenon. Realistic games all look the same to me, boring as Hell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    For new new players? Nope, they enjoy the leveling as if it were actual content *gasp*
    For "new" players that have played a dozen MMOs and are in it for the end game? They can play their 20 levels trial and then boost their character and check internet guides to learn their class like they would do anyway
    Here is the thing though. Leveling from 1 now in WoW is about as enjoyable as the starwars prequels. Not verry much.

Visuals are meh, story is a mess, combat lacks soul.

Yeah exactly like the prequels. In another thread people kept saying that leveling in SWTOR and FFXIV sucks, because it's boring after the first character. But it's actually boring WITH the first character if you play wow. Believe me I try it over and over and over again.

I know it is a curse word here on champ, but wow needs a revamp. Badly.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post

I love WoW graphics especially because they don't try to be ultra-realistic. Comic-like design gives room for fantasy and identification, and also reduces the danger of the "uncanny valley" phenomenon. Realistic games all look the same to me, boring as Hell.
    There is a fine line between ultra realistic and "looked okayish ten years ago". I'm pretty sure comic book design can be pulled off with a new engine. Or even updated models.
    Last edited by mmoc38dc10fd5b; 2017-07-18 at 03:27 PM.

I think this boost to 100 is a bad idea for new players, maybe for returning ones it's good.

I mean think about it, an RPG fan starts to play WoW, he is immediately boosted to 100 and is regarded to as a hero, starting leveling in Legion zones...
    That's so not fun in my view, you need to build up your character to become a hero and this is done pretty well in the low level zones, it's just that they don't scale at all so you do a few quests and that zone is irrelevant anymore, why is grey and green quests even a thing still?

People want to quest in those zones, slowly build up a hero but that's impossible atm which ruins the immersion completely and pretty much gameplay as every few quests you need to run to a new zone or force new players to spam dungeons to level up, think how not fun that feels like for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shostradamus View Post
    When you buy the game you get a free boost to 100, and there are class trials available so you don't burn your boost on something you end up not liking. Problem solved.
    This /thread

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoolmod View Post
    Recently i've tried getting both my girlfriend, and 2 other IRL friends, all of which are into games, to start WoW. Only my GF made it to level 110. All 3 however were incredibly put off by the idea of levelling through 110 levels. Now, as a regular player, we know it doesnt take that long. But when someone hears "Yeah, so, to get to the main chunk of the game you gotta level up 110 times before you can start to do the same content as everyone else" the general reply is to complain about how ridiculous that is. Its got me thinking of how many potential new players WoW is losing simply from the idea that levelling so much is gonna take an incredible amount of effort and time. Im not saying WoW is doomed, based on experiences in game, it feels pretty healthy and highly populated, but is it time blizzard decided to do a level squish of sorts? I'm not even personally sure how they would do this, but surely it would make the game more attractive to potential new players?
    So what would've happened if u played when there was only 60 levels but it took you 6 times more?

World of Warcraft has the fastest leveling experience per level in the market. You people should reevaluate your position toward MMO's.

I feel like with all the expansions added to the game, there needs to be a flexible progression system for alts that is an absolutely guided experience and will take you from 1-110, going through all necessary content to understand the story while skipping large chunks of filler. Of course I think this idea would have to be an expansion feature and a massive undertaking by Blizzard, but I think they should make Scenarios out of the major lore-based raids and condense all extra daily content into progression quest lines so that players get to experience things like Molten Front or Ahn'qiraj without having to go through the grinds. Have the story be condensed, possibly even scalable, so that anyone can help an alt buddy out through some of the content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenseiei View Post
    So what would've happened if u played when there was only 60 levels but it took you 6 times more?

World of Warcraft has the fastest leveling experience per level in the market. You people should reevaluate your position toward MMO's.
    It still needs to be fun, no new player is enjoying being forced to level in dungeons, queuing again and again until he gets to like 90 where decent questing is available.
    Otherwise a few quests and he gets grey quests and is forced to run to a new zone, I know it's "normal" and usual for us long time WoW players, but think how much it puts off new players.

If you care about playing end-game content with your friends, do them a solid and buy them a boost.

If you are going to play with them through lower content then do so.

If they aren't interested in grinding levels and nobody will buy the boost, maybe MMOs aren't for your friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't level a character from scratch since Mop but i think leveling from 1- 90 shouldn't be very difficult depending on the drive of the player. even with out XP modifying gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonduset View Post
    I remember when a huge part of the mmo experience was in fact levelling your character, learning the new spells and abilities to get yourself ready for the max level experience.

Yes it might be a bit high but that is why blizz now has class trials.
    Well, Ghostcrawler did want everyone to be basically the same, and handed wow a sharp revision of the entire 1-??? experience is irrelevant. In fact it should be time consuming, and the only "catch up" mechanisms should be the XP rearrangements done more similar to the original expansions where 1.4m Exp would be like 900k Exp in the next expansion to level, and we should have never lost spell ranks for several reasons. Honestly, trying to undo the horrendously atrocities committed to the game in the name of balance is probably harder than making a new game. *cough* Overwatch

The leveling process is in dire need of a revamp. Nothing feels challenging or dangerous at a low level, even without heirlooms. I think it's a major problem for continuously attracting new players. Only wows endgame content is worth being played anymore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    It still needs to be fun, no new player is enjoying being forced to level in dungeons, queuing again and again until he gets to like 90 where decent questing is available.
    Otherwise a few quests and he gets grey quests and is forced to run to a new zone, I know it's "normal" and usual for us long time WoW players, but think how much it puts off new players.
    There are players who enjoy queing dungeons. There are those that don't.
    There are players who enjoy story quests. There are those that don't.

You can't dictate that all new players hate this system nor can you dictate that those like it. This system is how it is.

Many people that started playing vanilla, hated the leveling system. Myself included. Some loved it.
    Many people hate FFXIV leveling system that foces you to go through the story. Others love it.
    Many people hate the story leveling system of SWTOR. Some love it.
    Some people love to feel danger while leveling. To be actually able to die. Others don't.
    Some people love to explore and take their time, others dont.
    I can go on and on.

What you define as fun is not universal and you should never be shortminded thinking it is.
    Last edited by Allenseiei; 2017-07-18 at 05:05 PM.