Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    People like her can start their own business and dress up as silly as they want.
    Working for someone else that's paying your salary and work-related insurances? You work by their rules.

"He who pays the piper calls the tune."
    Except we fortunately do not live in a society where the employment rules can be "Whatever the fuck I feel like." They can get pretty close in some places, and some bosses can be raging pieces of shit, but there are still rules they have to follow.

I don't know why on earth anyone would want to work in a workplace where the rules are "Whatever the boss feels like today." or why they'd want that to be a national standard.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    why not throw herself on the floor and roll around while having a fit, i mean why not while shes acting so childish
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I see nothing wrong with what she's doing. The boss is an asshole.
    OP: Banning cultural headwraps is a surefire way to get discrimination lawsuits and is easily more damaging to a company than an employee showing up in cosplay, for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryDude View Post
    The entire concept of "looking professional" needs to die out.
    Seriously. Buying 10-20x overpriced articles of clothing that are nothing but uncomfortable and constricting to the body just for the sake of 'it's how things have been' is fucking stupid. In some ways, it could even be considered a health hazard to not let your body breathe and not feel so constricted.

I think I own like one suit and I haven't used it in years. Now how many times have I worn $10-20 shirts? Pretty much 99.99% of my life.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Seems the employee has personal issues that should be resolved before pursuing a professional career.
    Seems the employer has personal issues that should be resolved before running a business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    I can agree with this. I'd rather have the person who knows what they're doing over the one who looks like they know what they're doing.
    in today's job market, an employer can easily find someone who is both. Why do people always think these things are mutually exclusive?

She was in the right at first. Now she should be fired for being unprofessional.

So, she's an asshole.

Complying with attire requirements, even if they're silly, just isn't that big of a deal. I'm never going to understand the sort of mentality that wants to lawyer every goddamned thing in the world with, "well, you didn't say that blah blah". It doesn't matter - just wear what your employer requests or find another place of employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I see nothing wrong with what she's doing. The boss is an asshole.
    OP: Banning cultural headwraps is a surefire way to get discrimination lawsuits and is easily more damaging to a company than an employee showing up in cosplay, for the record.

Seriously. Buying 10-20x overpriced articles of clothing that are nothing but uncomfortable and constricting to the body just for the sake of 'it's how things have been' is fucking stupid. In some ways, it could even be considered a health hazard to not let your body breathe and not feel so constricted.

I think I own like one suit and I haven't used it in years. Now how many times have I worn $10-20 shirts? Pretty much 99.99% of my life.
    the way I see it, if more and more people start ignoring the importance of workplace attire, then eventually I could see these rules going away, simply because the reason these rules came into place was due to what clients wanted to see in companies' staffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrarie View Post
    its ok to wear whatever you want if its appropriate and don't hurt the job
    the boss is wrong 100%
    It's his business. He has the right to make whatever rules he wants.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

ITT: OP drags up year old news for the purpose of thinly veiled ethnic bashing. The username and profile picture fit.

I honestly don't understand dress codes being as strict as they are in general for employees who will never once in their employment be face to face with a client. I'd love to wear my comic book/video game t-shirts to work, but nooooooo. I can't do that! What if my computer monitor sees me at my cubicle where nobody aside from coworkers have any contact with me whatsoever?!

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    the way I see it, if more and more people start ignoring the importance of workplace attire, then eventually I could see these rules going away, simply because the reason these rules came into place was due to what clients wanted to see in companies' staffs.
    Alternatively, firms that are willing to show that they give a shit about client preferences and maintaining decorum will wipe the floor with firms that encourage their employees to wear flip flops to business meetings, at least in contexts where social signaling matters.

First world problems.

What does it matter what you wear if you are working in Cubicle hell? Its one more thing to stave off insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Alternatively, firms that are willing to show that they give a shit about client preferences and maintaining decorum will wipe the floor with firms that encourage their employees to wear flip flops to business meetings, at least in contexts where social signaling matters.
    that might be the case in smaller firms or startups, but if you're talking about a more traditional Fortune 500 company, their leadership might still be quite old-school. But like I said, this sort of thing is always evolving so it could always change.

Then there is the idea that work time isn't supposed to be about the individual, but for the company, since a worker is technically paid for his/her time at work. Dress codes might simply play into that idea by saying that a person must place the company above him/herself while at work. I work in scientific sales and whenever I go visit a customer (regardless of whether it's undergrads at a university, small biotech incubators, or huge corporations), I ALWAYS wear at least business casual attire. It shows that I pride myself in representing the company I work for. And I know it is not a feeling shared by everyone, but that's just my take on it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    http://mymodernmet.com/june-rivas-co...iscrimination/

Who's in the wrong here? I understand you'r boss telling you he doesnt like your head scarf isnt nice. But being a child about it and deliberately coming to work dressed like that and hurting the business is something to be fired over. Thoughts?
    Isn't this a really old story or is this a new person doing the same thing again?
    Headwear indoors is generally considered impolite and improper. But if there is no dress code, then the boss is wrong. But I'm sure there's more to this story and we're taking HER word for it.

Should have just fired her and say she threatened the boss if she complains

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrarie View Post
    its ok to wear whatever you want if its appropriate and don't hurt the job
    the boss is wrong 100%
    The boss ain't wrong, listen to your employer or get the f out.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    What does it matter what you wear if you are working in Cubicle hell? Its one more thing to stave off insanity.
    It depends on how often the company has visitors tour the offices. I mean at the very least you could dress it up on those days.

Her original outfit was perfectly acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    The boss ain't wrong, listen to your employer or get the f out.

Lol no, this is sort of thinking that makes America have the worst employee rights out of every western nation.