Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    A headscarf like that is nothing like a hat...
    This is a really weird claim.

One does wonder how a lawsuit would go if a country boy claimed that he was being culturally discriminated against when he dressed like Raylan Givens and is told to take off the damned hat.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate how in this day and age everybody wants to be a rebel. Heaven forbid you do what your boss asks.

10+ Year Old Account
    The boss is entirely in the wrong here. I could see if she was wearing something "inappropriate" and she was front facing but even then.....if it has zero effect on her job function and she can do it then i see no reason to try and keep her from wearing whatever she pleases. Especially if it's a cultural thing. This is a slippery slope though and I feel like there always needs to be a middle ground with things like this.

Sounds like the boss is a bit of a dick. Frankly speaking though, if your boss says you can or can't wear something then you have to abide by the rules. You are expected to present yourself in a manner that the company desires, don't like it, find another employer.

The number of people in this thread that don't understand the difference between cultural/religious attire and "stuff you wear because you like it" is disappointing. A cowboy hat and a headscarf in this context are about as similar as apples and zebras.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Funny. Boss is a silly goose. Both sound like annoying and juvenile people. Also, what the fuck do the rights of women have to do with any of this? Kind of a mindless line to add to an otherwise entertaining story.

Both seems to have way to much free time on there hands ....

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is a really weird claim.

One does wonder how a lawsuit would go if a country boy claimed that he was being culturally discriminated against when he dressed like Raylan Givens and is told to take off the damned hat.

Hats are very different from headscarves... I just do not see them at all the same. A woman wearing a hat is very different from a woman in a scarf. Men just don't wear scarves though so the closest similarity would be a hat; however, hats aren't similar to scarves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Sounds like the boss is a bit of a dick. Frankly speaking though, if your boss says you can or can't wear something then you have to abide by the rules. You are expected to present yourself in a manner that the company desires, don't like it, find another employer.

Or rebel and fight the stupidity while finding another employer.

Hats are very different from headscarves... I just do not see them at all the same. A woman wearing a hat is very different from a woman in a scarf. Men just don't wear scarves though so the closest similarity would be a hat; however, hats aren't similar to scarves.
    Sounds like you just think some cultures are more acceptable than others. I don't really know what to say to the claim that an employer banning hats would be totally fine, but that banning a headscarf is stupid.

Sounds like you just think some cultures are more acceptable than others. I don't really know what to say to the claim that an employer banning hats would be totally fine, but that banning a headscarf is stupid.
    Some cultures? I don't see headscarves as a cultural thing unless it is specifically a hijab.

All cultures have headscarves as part of just typical wear only a couple have it as part of some cultural religious identity.

Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    I hope you will enjoy the wrongful termination lawsuits coming your way.

Ah who am I kidding, none of you ''I would fire her in a heartbeat'' commenters have actually worked a day in your lives, let alone have a position where you are able to fire people.
    Be amazed, not all of us are americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Did you miss the part where she went to HR, and her boss retaliated by attempting to change the dress code on the spot purely to spite her? Of course you did. Because reading the fucking article is above you or something......
    Sorry, I agree with him. She is acting like a child and deserves to lose her job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Wearing clothing allowed in the contract guidelines isn't "being a bitch".
    You are right, cosplay is 100% legit office clothing, you should go like that too. Tell me how it went.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Well, a headscarf (despite not being limited to one religion) could scare of potential, say Jewish, customers for example.. Seeing the historical relationship between those 2 isnt exactly peachy.
    Yeah, we should be aware of, and tolerate people's prejudices/racism for the sake of making money.

I hate the world we live in...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Fears View Post
    He should fire her immediately, it's juvenile and unprofessional behavior.
    And she should report him to the better business bureau for setting discriminatory guidelines.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Why?

Ot this same top: how people dress on a job interview is always a factor whenever I interview someone.
    But would you go on record stating that you didn't hire someone for wearing a head scarf? Or do you keep it to yourself?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It's well with in a manager/ business owners right to set a dress code at their discretion, he/she is in the right.
    Yes and no. If she wears it for religious reasons, she could fight this in court.

Some cultures? I don't see headscarves as a cultural thing unless it is specifically a hijab.

All cultures have headscarves as part of just typical wear only a couple have it as part of some cultural religious identity.
    I'm fairly sure that all cultures have male headcoverings, including hats as well.

Your objections to the comparison really seem like they're not based on anything other than just declaring that they're not the same. Why, specifically, are they not the same? What do you feel the difference is between someone that wants to dress like Raylan in the picture above relative to Rivas's preferred attire? Like I said, I don't really know what to say to the claim that an employer banning hats would be totally fine, but that banning a headscarf is stupid. Maybe you've just kind of staked out a silly position and don't want to move off of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    But would you go on record stating that you didn't hire someone for wearing a head scarf? Or do you keep it to yourself?
    HR would strongly advise never really telling anyone anything about why you didn't hire them. There's no upside for an employer to say much of anything other than, "we decided to go another direction".

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/u...itch-case.html

Justice Scalia, writing for seven justices, said Ms. Elauf did not have to make a specific request for a religious accommodation to obtain relief under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits religious discrimination in hiring.

Samantha Elauf. Credit Jim Bourg/Reuters
    “Title VII forbids adverse employment decisions made with a forbidden motive,” Justice Scalia said from the bench, “whether this motive derives from actual knowledge, a well-founded suspicion or merely a hunch.”

Justice Scalia elaborated on this point in his written opinion. “An employer may not make an applicant’s religious practice, confirmed or otherwise, a factor in employment decisions,” he wrote.

Groups that represent religious minorities, including Muslims, Sikhs and Jews, applauded the ruling. They said it would help protect their members against employment discrimination based on their members’ religious attire, head coverings or beards.

“The decision by the Supreme Court today affirmed the basic right to practice one’s faith freely without fear of being denied the opportunity to pursue the American dream,” said Gurjot Kaur, senior staff attorney of the Sikh Coalition, a national advocacy group.

The case started in 2008 when Ms. Elauf, then 17, applied for a job in a children’s clothing store owned by Abercrombie & Fitch at Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa, Okla. She wore a black head scarf but did not say why.

The company declined to hire her, saying her scarf clashed with the company’s “Look Policy,” or dress code. After the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission sued on Ms. Elauf’s behalf, the company said it had no reason to know that Ms. Elauf’s head scarf was required by her faith.
    - - - Updated - - -

HR would strongly advise never really telling anyone anything about why you didn't hire them. There's no upside for an employer to say much of anything other than, "we decided to go another direction".
    Which is the best course of action if you do not want your employees to wear such things. You just keep it to yourself.

The above article outlines that if you speak up about why that person cannot be employed, you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm fairly sure that all cultures have male headcoverings, including hats as well.

Your objections to the comparison really seem like they're not based on anything other than just declaring that they're not the same. Why, specifically, are they not the same? What do you feel the difference is between someone that wants to dress like Raylan in the picture above relative to Rivas's preferred attire? Like I said, I don't really know what to say to the claim that an employer banning hats would be totally fine, but that banning a headscarf is stupid. Maybe you've just kind of staked out a silly position and don't want to move off of it.

- - - Updated - - -

they're both head coverings.. one is less broad and much tighter around the head than a hat.

Hats typically are worn when it is cold or to protect yourself from the sun.

Scarves are worn to either be modest about hair (in some cultures) or they're worn because you don't want to deal with doing up your hair. Typical male hair styles in the workplace are shorter and require much less maintenance.

Male head coverings pretty much are hats... and then a various number of religious head coverings... there really is no popular head covering that is worn for men in many cultures, outside of a hat. hats specifically are made for outdoor wear which is why "no hats inside" has become a kind of etiquette thing we have come to adopt.

Scarves are not used in the same manner at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/u...itch-case.html

- - - Updated - - -

Which is the best course of action if you do not want your employees to wear such things. You just keep it to yourself.

The above article outlines that if you speak up about why that person cannot be employed, you're gonna have a bad time.
    Which I regard as an absolutely batshit state of affairs. It has a pretty obvious unintended consequence - applicants basically can't get any meaningful impact from employers about why they didn't get the job. They won't just tell you, "you wore a stupid hat, don't wear stupid hats", in no small part because the primary role of HR is making sure that hiring and firing don't result in lawsuits.

But it is what it is. I sure wouldn't be telling anyone why I didn't hire them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    hurting the business
    You made the claim, now prove it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which I regard as an absolutely batshit state of affairs. It has a pretty obvious unintended consequence - applicants basically can't get any meaningful impact from employers about why they didn't get the job. They won't just tell you, "you wore a stupid hat, don't wear stupid hats", in no small part because the primary role of HR is making sure that hiring and firing don't result in lawsuits.

But it is what it is. I sure wouldn't be telling anyone why I didn't hire them.
    Sadly, due to anti-discrimination laws, you are correct. Which sucks for the applicant, because as you mentioned, you can't get any meaningful feedback regarding the reason you were not selected for the position.

they're both head coverings.. one is less broad and much tighter around the head than a hat.

Hats typically are worn when it is cold or to protect yourself from the sun.

Scarves are worn to either be modest about hair (in some cultures) or they're worn because you don't want to deal with doing up your hair. Typical male hair styles in the workplace are shorter and require much less maintenance.

Male head coverings pretty much are hats... and then a various number of religious head coverings... there really is no popular head covering that is worn for men in many cultures, outside of a hat. hats specifically are made for outdoor wear which is why "no hats inside" has become a kind of etiquette thing we have come to adopt.

Scarves are not used in the same manner at all.
    This is a pretty lame attempt to rescue this position. Really, men don't wear hats to avoid dealing with their hair? OK