Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Thinking about returning but I have some questions

Hello everyone.

Its been a while since I played this game but I have considered trying it again since theres a new expansion out and I am getting super bored of WoW.

I loved the encounters in this game, they felt epic with all the visuals and mechanics you needed to avoid, even in the dungeons but there was one thing that really bothered me, that being the classes.

I didn't really get much done during my time with this game, got to max (60) as a Black Mage and started playing the other classes but for me, once you got to Heavensward, the new abilities you learned changed the playstyle which I didn't like which is what made me leave the game because I couldn't find a class/job that I wanted to main. I was not fond of the whole "Being at the flank or behind to do additional effects or damage" cause it would send me into tunnel vision mode lol

I hear that Stormblood has made changes to the battle system but im not sure how exactly they have done that and if that means changes to how classes are played. If anyone could explain what they have done that would be cool. Ill probably look into it tomorrow regardless but its getting late lol.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the current state of the game? Has it changed much since Heavensward? Let me know your thoughts

Basically, cross-class skills(earned by having x job at y level)are gone. They have been replaced by role actions, a selection of abilities common to Tank, Healer, Melee DPS, Ranged DPS and Caster DPS, from which you can select, depending on your job's level. The need to level two classes to have a job is gone, you naturally move from class to job via quests done at the right level.

Right now, most jobs are doing pretty well. MCH, SMN and SCH are being criticized for some changes and nerfs that took them from higher perches in HW down to lower standing in the current xpac. Improvements are slowly trickling in, hopefully more will come soon.

More specifically, BLM had a QoL improvement that changed Enochian to something you can keep up once you've activated it by maintaining either Astral Fire or Umbral Ice stacks on you. Long as you don't lose those, it's time for Fire/Ice IV. Ice IV also now applies a buff called Umbral Hearts, which makes your next three Fire spells cost less mana.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ah yeah I forgot about having to level multiple roles to access abilities, bit of a pain but I was trying most the classes regardless haha. In terms of performance I aint fussed provided its not considered unplayable, I just want it to be enjoyable, but what I see as fun might be extremely boring for others so I guess I can just see what everyones opinions are on the class or stop being lazy and do my own research lol, but im off to bed now. Ill see where this thread goes when I wake up ^_^

I dunno if you played when Palace of the Dead was active, but it's a good way to toy around with classes. Basically, you level inside POTD super-quickly, gaining access to all your job's abilities up to lvl 60, which is where it caps for that particular Deep Dungeon. Note that your level inside POTD is separate from the level outside it. Gear is also irrelevant in there, instead your power is based on a stat you level in there called Aetherpool.

If you play on the higher floors, you start off at 60 inside there. So you can go in there on a job you haven't even gained an actual level on, have access to all your abilities up to 60, try them out and see what you think of them. Do you like it? Keep leveling it. Don't like it? Drop it and switch to something else. It's a popular way to level up quickly prior to 60. Some find it overly repetitive, I personally find it very entertaining cos it's role-less and no run is ever exactly the same as the previous one.

7+ Year Old Account
    No that was not a thing when I was playing but thats sounds like a good feature. Grinding the jobs previously was a bit of a pain at times and after getting all the way to Heavensward to find that I didn't like it was annoying so ill certainly be using POTD to test them all again if I decide to renew my subscription. Thanks!

That whole cross class skill system has been replaced as of Stormblood with role-specific abilities, so you no longer have to level all sorts of various jobs to different degrees in order to have all of your abilities.

BLM in particular, which still very much a turret stuck in place, has received a lot of QoL changes that make playing it at max level much more forgiving/easier than it was this time 2 years ago at the start of Heavensward.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootywooty View Post
    Anyways, what are your thoughts on the current state of the game? Has it changed much since Heavensward? Let me know your thoughts

Paladins no longer suck and Warriors were castrated. The story is lame also and i think i've worn out my esc button during each cut scene.

3/10

Pass on it.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also samurai which requires just a level 50 to unlock is now a thing abd does NOT require abd positional

Red mage is a well hard to explain. Essentially a warmage (long range focus with melee abilities. And heal/rez) you cast a spell the next is a free cast (even heal and rez) and the idea is to manage black abd white magic spells building a bar until you get a buff to your melee skills soo time to pull yourself in unleash em then back flip away and start casting again.

That said potd is also great abd I do recommend trying it out again..Sadly you JUST missed a free play period for returnees abd unless you pay will need to finish heavensward story (so worth it)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Also samurai which requires just a level 50 to unlock is now a thing abd does NOT require abd positional

Red mage is a well hard to explain. Essentially a warmage (long range focus with melee abilities. And heal/rez) you cast a spell the next is a free cast (even heal and rez) and the idea is to manage black abd white magic spells building a bar until you get a buff to your melee skills soo time to pull yourself in unleash em then back flip away and start casting again.

That said potd is also great abd I do recommend trying it out again..Sadly you JUST missed a free play period for returnees abd unless you pay will need to finish heavensward story (so worth it)
    Might have to look into the samurai class in that case haha.

Red Mage sounds a bit like the old Balance Druid (sort of)

Ah shame that I missed the free to play period, oh well, ill probably renew my sub soon and see how the month goes.

Thanks everyone!

Might have to look into the samurai class in that case haha.

Red Mage sounds a bit like the old Balance Druid (sort of)

Ah shame that I missed the free to play period, oh well, ill probably renew my sub soon and see how the month goes.

Thanks everyone!
    I didn't plan on being a Red Mage main, but then it happened. Red mage is like, so you're there going pew pew pew I'm a mage, and then these bars fill up, they call them white and black mana, I call them pent up rage. So when it gets to a point you become a ninja and jump on the boss and stab and cut him for a little while, then you jump back out and become a mage again. At level 70 once you get done being a ninja you also get to throw a nuclear bomb at the boss. Its fun.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senistian View Post
    I didn't plan on being a Red Mage main, but then it happened. Red mage is like, so you're there going pew pew pew I'm a mage, and then these bars fill up, they call them white and black mana, I call them pent up rage. So when it gets to a point you become a ninja and jump on the boss and stab and cut him for a little while, then you jump back out and become a mage again. At level 70 once you get done being a ninja you also get to throw a nuclear bomb at the boss. Its fun.
    The way you describe it makes me want to try it out haha

You'll need Stormblood added to play the new jobs, but since you already did HW you won't have to do anything else to access them first if you do add the xpac.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    You'll need Stormblood added to play the new jobs, but since you already did HW you won't have to do anything else to access them first if you do add the xpac.
    I can't remember how far I got with HW cause it was a while ago but it shouldn't take too long to finish it off

I can't remember how far I got with HW cause it was a while ago but it shouldn't take too long to finish it off
    You got to 60, so I assumed you finished 3.0 at least. There'll be more MSQ after that, but unlike 2.1-2.55 it's not a godawful soul-grinding slog. They learned from that, thankfully. But I digress, you only need to have completed 2.0 in order to unlock RDM and SAM, provided you have SB added.

7+ Year Old Account
    I might just start a new character, fresh start n all, updating the game now!

15+ Year Old Account
    I might just start a new character, fresh start n all, updating the game now!
    I pretty much stopped when you did and it took me around 2 years to come back. I made a new character and i had a lot of fun. Now i have 2 70s and I'm in a 1/4 savage static so not bad for only 2 and a half months trying to catch up. I recommend raiding because it doesn't feel like as much of a commitment as wow (which ironically i want to resub to even if i don't want to recommit to mythic raid anymore)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I pretty much stopped when you did and it took me around 2 years to come back. I made a new character and i had a lot of fun. Now i have 2 70s and I'm in a 1/4 savage static so not bad for only 2 and a half months trying to catch up. I recommend raiding because it doesn't feel like as much of a commitment as wow (which ironically i want to resub to even if i don't want to recommit to mythic raid anymore)
    I mythic raid 3 nights a week (12 hours) but I am thinking of quitting to play this game instead. I was only playing this on the side when I first started so putting full focus into this game instead might be worth doing, I loved the pve so theres so much that I have not experienced.

Still updating but im having launcher problems, must be Blizzard trying to stop me lol

15+ Year Old Account
    I mythic raid 3 nights a week (12 hours) but I am thinking of quitting to play this game instead. I was only playing this on the side when I first started so putting full focus into this game instead might be worth doing, I loved the pve so theres so much that I have not experienced.

Still updating but im having launcher problems, must be Blizzard trying to stop me lol
    I quit wow back in december because mythic tov was the most boring raid they've ever made. I at least think the raiding here is more fun because there's always something YOU have to look out for. There's not a whole lot to do outside of instanced stuff which kind of sucks. Come for the cute wiminz, stay for the

Make sure all the ports it uses to download are open on your computer. If you're encountering an error where it's failing to version check, check the ffxiv_boot.cfg file and make sure the value of BootVersionCheckMode is set to 1.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Make sure all the ports it uses to download are open on your computer. If you're encountering an error where it's failing to version check, check the ffxiv_boot.cfg file and make sure the value of BootVersionCheckMode is set to 1.
    Its finished updating. It would just crash sometimes. Looking forward to playing tomorrow!

- - - Updated - - -

I see that they changed Bard a fair bit, no longer BowMage, thank god I might just main that