Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Actually previously you suggested that I said "nothing can solve my problems" then related it to Chester when I related it to myself.
    My point, all along, has been that someone with infinite means can solve any personal problem, and that calling their suicide a tragedy is appalling.

This wasn't some guy working 3 jobs who had his work make a payroll mistake and he lost his house so he killed himself because it was the last straw. It's a guy who could have done anything he wanted and anytime. His house keeper found him. FFS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by general1992 View Post
    Let us not go too far with the false equivalence, shall we? As you are referring to Chester Bennington, he didn't lose any limbs and therefore money cannot be used to replace limbs to solve problems with being unable to work or support themselves. Your point is obviously not made with one example (especially one that is totally unrelated).
    Could Chester had solved his problem - we won't be able to tell, he possibly could have - but let us not delude ourselves to think that everyone can be 'cured' of their mental issues. Not unless we supress their consciousness through medicine or other substances.
    He didn't lose any limbs, but if he had, he had the means to restore functionality, or could have just said "Eh, I guess I won't ever work again" and been fine.

If some other person, Joe Smith who makes $40k a year and has no insurance, loses his hands...well I guess he better hope that SSI can pay for his expenses, because he's fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    My point, all along, has been that someone with infinite means can solve any personal problem, and that calling their suicide a tragedy is appalling.

This wasn't some guy working 3 jobs who had his work make a payroll mistake and he lost his house so he killed himself because it was the last straw. It's a guy who could have done anything he wanted and anytime. His house keeper found him. FFS.
    So? Money does not solve mental health issues. I was a counselor in a treatment apartment program prior to returning to college. Every single person in the program was there because they had a serious and persistent mental illness. They all had their rent and medical care paid for by the state. They all had furnished studio apartments with a/c and cable. They also all got food stamps so food was never an issue. They ALL had doctors, counselors, psychiatrists,therapists and all were on medication.

We had people who believed they were bankers, the president, always pregnant or chronically depressed. One client attempted suicide several times while I was there and another succeeded.

Money or lack there of, does not mean all mental health issues can be solved. Not ALL problems can be solved. If you think they can, go work in mental health for a while and then come and tell me ALL personal problems can be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    You drink to alter your mood. That's pretty much the definition of substance abuse. If you can't see that, well, I feel sorry for you and I hope you can get help.

Yes, talking about the loss of your hands or hearing would help you deal with the emotions of that loss.

Oh, and guess what, if you had $30M you'd be able to buy prosthetic hands or have an implant in your ear or just pay someone to walk around with you everywhere and interpret for you.

Money solves all problems. The people who don't understand that are deluding themselves into not understanding the real power of wealth.
    Everyone who drinks alcohol, does so with an intention of altering their mood to some extent. It's even in the definition of the word "intoxicated": mentally or emotionally exhilarated. So are you really calling most adults who drinks substance abusers? I mean, sure, lots of people drinks alcohol only for the taste of the drink, but you're still calling a major part of all adults substance abusers with this statement.

Also, there are a lot of examples of rich people unable to fix their problems. A known example from Norway is Gunhild Stordalen, whos like in the top 100 in Norway, but ever since she got Scleroderma, her life has been a straight trip towards the grave. Sure, her money gets her the best treatment you can get, and lots of alternative ones, and her life with Scleroderma is a lot longer and better than it would have been if she was poor, but she's still gonna die at some point in the coming years.

What you don't seem to get is that mental illnesses are the same - you can't just pack up and move to another country and leave your depression behind. If you're sick, you're sick, and if you're in pain, you can't just pay the pain away (especially not mental anguish, which can't even be taken away by painkillers, because it's not physical nor a function of nerve stimulation, like pain is). No amount of money or options is gonna make your life happy or good if your brain is unable to make you feel happy or even at ease. At some point the depression will overwhelm a person - there's only so much a person can take, and if it was too much for him to bear, it's his choice to stop bearing it. While one can hope other people, like his children, is enough to live for, it should be every persons right to decide to not keep on living if the life one is living isn't worth it.

Would you have been ok with him commiting suicide if he'd had a chronic disease that would cause unimaginable, unrelenting pain for the rest of his life? If he'd had stage 4 cancer that had spread to his entire body, with nothing but pain to expect for the rest of his life? What if it was someone who stood close to you? If you answer no to either of those questions, you're the selfish one, wanting someone to endure a shitty life just so you don't have to feel bad. And mental illnesses are the same for the people living through it - it feels like an endless hell, of pain, numbness or anxiety, or any other feeling, depending on what kind of illness you have. While people may say there's a cure or that it gets better, after a couple of years of treatment, you start losing hope - what if there isn't a treatment for your kind of illness? Lots of people don't find their cures, some because they die of natural / other causes, some because they give up and speed up the process, and that should be their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    So I take it you've never tried talking to a professional?
    Several. They're all pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You don't even know what Mr. Bennington was going through. Along with depression he was suffering from condition called Depersonalisation Disorder. Their songs "Crawling" and "Numb" are about it.

The movie "Numb, 2007" is an okay portrayal of the condition if you don't want to just read scientific articles about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The disorder lacks effective treatment in part because it has been neglected by the psychiatric community because funding has mainly been allocated to the search for cures of other illnesses, like alcoholism
    If only there was someone with tens of millions of dollars, with a large public presence and platform with a vested interest in this disease to raise awareness and spur donations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.