View Poll Results: What is your definition of evil?

Voters
103. This poll is closed
  • Evil is to be cruel and cause pain.

43 41.75%
  • Evil is to destroy everything and absent of all creation.

9 8.74%
  • Evil is the absents of Choice.

7 6.80%
  • Evil is Something else.

44 42.72%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I don't have a definition. Evil is a social construct, nothing more.
    Almost all of the really important things in life are social constructs. I don't know why people use it as a stand-in for irrelevance or lack of reality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    To intentionally cause harm for your own gain or pleasure, especially when said harm could be avoided or is unnecessary.
    this definition works fine until you start to consider things like squashing a fly. most people don´t think twice about it and almost nobody would consider you evil for it, yet very often it is avoidable/unnecessary harm and causing harm is just more convenient.

whether something is considered evil of not often depends on to who/what the acts are applied, and the line is pretty arbitrary, which seems like an important philosophical problem to solve for defining evil.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-08-01 at 02:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wearing socks with sandals, or worse yet, with crocs.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Evil, by definition, doesn't exist. There's no evil, there's no good.

But morally, Evil can be defined as someone who takes pleasure out of other's suffering AND ensures that others suffer while their only end goal is to have pleasure out of it. Someone who enjoys other's suffering is not necessarily Evil (as I suppose, the BDSM community can show with mutual pleasure) and someone who makes others suffer does not necessarily do this out of sadism (soldiers, for instance).
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

I'm glad you included the absence of choice option. I can't think of a more sinister action than stealing the freedoms of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

The Chinese government.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    What is YOUR definition of Evil?

Is Nice the same thing as Good?

is Bad the same thing as Evil?

Personally I don't imagine red skin, long horns and a tail, I imagine the worst forms of evil, true evil present themselves as good, or rather harmless.

What's with the pic of Clint Eastwood? Is he supposed to be evil?

Chickens... have you looked deep into those eyes. Something looks back at you from the late Cretaceous period that is reptilian in form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    What's with the pic of Clint Eastwood? Is he supposed to be evil?
    He is a distinguished famous older person with a trusting face. Meaning it could be a disguise

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    I wear socks and sandals not sure what crocs are but your words have wounded my heart.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    He is a distinguished famous older person with a trusting face. Meaning it could be a disguise

- - - Updated - - -

I wear socks and sandals not sure what crocs are but your words have wounded my heart.

Also this is the unholy abomination known as a croc:

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Having the will to cause harm to others or to selfishly gain for oneself while disregarding how these actions may harm or affect others.

There are no innately evil people, although you can attempt to subjectively categorize people based on their actions. Still, there is no black and white. No "monsters". Just people.

The metaphysical idea of evil does not exist outside of self-serving/harmful actions. The whole thing is a social construct.

Deleted
    This, to whoever will understand.

10+ Year Old Account

Also this is the unholy abomination known as a croc:

Those are hideous and anger just at the sight. I'm gonna buy two pair.

Just kidding.

Do love socks and sandals.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your a monster. Hell has no home for someone like that.

Selfishness without concern &/or regard for other humans.

I find that to be to most distasteful human traits. 'Evil' as a concept would line up with this view but I don't subscribe to the notion of object good/evil.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being willingly useless. To go through life with your only aspiration being to continue drawing breath and to be a burden willfully resisting any attempt to teach you a skill. To act as if you're mighty when you're a greater coward than the lowest rats.

If evil succeeds when good men do nothing then the man who willfully seeks to do nothing with his entire existence is truly the greatest of evils.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    There's is no such thing as Evil, but there is such a thing as justifying your wrongful actions. Killing a person cause they tried to kill you isn't wrong, but killing a person cause they're gay is very wrong. Are you Evil either way? I personally believe you shouldn't kill either way.

There are no villain's in reality, just people who want something and will do anything to get it, including doing something wrong. Then they justify their wrong doing so they aren't the villain in their own mind.

Evil is anything I disagree with therefore all of my Political Opponents are Evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I'm glad you included the absence of choice option. I can't think of a more sinister action than stealing the freedoms of others.
    Yes I'm authoritan but only up and until it crosses the line of taking away choice unless it's to eliminate harm. Primarily to others or to oneself in the instance someone's ability to choose is damaged.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Being willingly useless. To go through life with your only aspiration being to continue drawing breath and to be a burden willfully resisting any attempt to teach you a skill. To act as if you're mighty when you're a greater coward than the lowest rats.

If evil succeeds when good men do nothing then the man who willfully seeks to do nothing with his entire existence is truly the greatest of evils.
    Sounds like anybody who doesn't want to be a slave.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Selfishness without concern &/or regard for other humans.

I find that to be to most distasteful human traits. 'Evil' as a concept would line up with this view but I don't subscribe to the notion of object good/evil.
    I would think this is the core element of evil. I would only add " [I][Selfishness without concern and/or concern for other life/I]. But if you believe in your own quote, then you do subscribe to the notion of object ( person or action ) as evil when such takes place.

My point is, evil goes beyond just bad treatment of humans. It extends to many other life forms. Respect for life itself is the core element of what is good.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-08-01 at 03:39 AM.