Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    "capped at 70%" lul

literally no point in arguing with you. it wasn't "capped at 70%", it just didn't need any more than that. I attacked like 20 mobs and 70% for a few milliseconds was enough

this thread is full of idiots, including yourself, that have no idea what they're talking about.

is it just one core? no, my pic proves it isn't.

is it just 4 cores? no, my pic proves it isn't

is it just 6 cores capped at 70%? no, that's retarded and assuming there was some cap at 70% makes no fucking sense from the information provided

if it's using 6 cores, and I have 6 cores, and it uses 6 cores because it uses 6 cores, anything you say about not using 6 cores is fucking pointless

what's with wow players being such peasants these days.

do a google search for me, look up processAffinityMask, oh what's that, there were work arounds for multicore processors that if you weren't a complete idiot you could use to get value out of more than one core back in the days of cata, and then that was removed around 2012 and you no longer needed to optimize for 4 cores and could use how ever many you wanted? oh, that can't be possible it must only use 1 core and pretend to use the others
    Last edited by T1berius; 2017-08-01 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T1berius View Post
    "capped at 70%" lul

literally no point in arguing with you. it wasn't "capped at 70%", it just didn't need any more than that. I attacked like 20 mobs and 70% for a few milliseconds was enough

this thread is full of idiots, including yourself, that have no idea what they're talking about.

is it just one core? no, my pic proves it isn't.

is it just 4 cores? no, my pic proves it isn't

is it just 6 cores capped at 70%? no, that's retarded and assuming there was some cap at 70% makes no fucking sense from the information provided

if it's using 6 cores, and I have 6 cores, and it uses 6 cores because it uses 6 cores, anything you say about not using 6 cores is fucking pointless

what's with wow players being such peasants these days.

do a google search for me, look up processAffinityMask, oh what's that, there were work arounds for multicore processors that if you weren't a complete idiot you could use to get value out of more than one core back in the days of cata, and then that was removed around 2012 and you no longer needed to optimize for 4 cores and could use how ever many you wanted? oh, that can't be possible it must only use 1 core and pretend to use the others
    Personally, I never said it only uses one core. It does have multiple threads that run on seperate cores. However, there is still just one thread that runs the draw calls. Those MUST be done serially, so one thread that runs in order on one core. This is the thread that slows WoW down. Do what you may, more cores or whatever, that one thread will remain on one core and not use that core entirely because the engine is poorly optimized.

Also, you clearly said earlier that it was able to use all cores fully:

ive been using amd since 2011, been using 6-8 core cpus since then, wow has been able to run every core fully since cata
    Please, show me a situation where this happens, because it doesn't. Yes, it will use multiple threads and split those threads to different cores. However, even as evidenced by your screen shots, one core is still used far more than the others, because that core is running the thread that handles draw calls.

"it" doesn't split anything to cores. the os does. and windows 7-10 have had support for multiple cores. people who didn't know this have posted over and over, over the years, saying that WoW is only optimized for 1 core, or in your case, only optimized for one core, and uses the one to split threads. Wow doesn't do this, this isn't how any of this works.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/CVar_processAffinityMask

just educate yourself please

there is an internal setting with windows 7 that you had to change, i couldn't tell you what it was because I don't remember, that allowed for the use of multiple cores, and I did that with my 8 cores

windows 10 does it for me

just ugh why do people think they know shit ffs
    Last edited by T1berius; 2017-08-01 at 02:22 PM.

CVar processAffinityMask is obsolete since WotLK, the OS already uses multiple cores for WoW but dumps heavy workload on one anyway. Stop making yourself look foolish.

yes yes dumps heavy workload on one, makes one choose threads, only does 4 cores, only does one core, the fuck does it matter to me, my computers have been using all of their core, you're the idiots that look foolish

Deleted
    "it" doesn't split anything to cores. the os does. and windows 7-10 have had support for multiple cores. people who didn't know this have posted over and over, over the years, saying that WoW is only optimized for 1 core, or in your case, only optimized for one core, and uses the one to split threads. Wow doesn't do this, this isn't how any of this works.

there is an internal setting with windows 7 that you had to change, i couldn't tell you what it was because I don't remember, that allowed for the use of multiple cores, and I did that with my 8 cores

It amuses me when people who have no clue on stuff tries to make it seem like they have a clue, atleast you're trying i guess?

WAT.. WoW handles draw calls in one thread, which cripples any CPU in a game like WoW. For example it uses 2-15% of my CPU in total, but going to dalaran or raiding, my core handling drawcall thread is at 70-100%. Now WoW does run 50 ish threads, but the other threads will never ever hit as high usage as the draw call thread will even on average. Hence CPU with high single core performance is more suitable on a process like WoW.

Yeah, my wording is a little off, yes it is Windows that assigns the threads to cores not WoW. That does not change the fact that the thread that runs the draw calls and that thread must be run serially, therefore in order on one core. This core will not be maxed out at 100% as that thread is not optimized properly to use all of the core. This is what causes slowdowns in WoW. In any situation where your FPS tanks, this is why. What did your FPS do when you attacked all those mobs and the one core spiked to 70% for quite a bit longer than the other cores spiked to 50%? I'm betting it dropped a fair amount. Meanwhile, your GPU was probably sitting there using the same amount because over half the time it is just waiting for the CPU to pass it the draw calls.

i mean no one in this thread has shown any evidence that I'm wrong, I've shown multiple sources, my processes, a link showing how exactly cores are handled

okay yes, one core sometimes gets more usage, this does not equate to "wow is optimized for one core" which I was responding to.

you can't claim that wow doesn't benefit at all from a multicore processor when it actually does, I don't know how else I can explain this.

yes yes dumps heavy workload on one, makes one choose threads, only does 4 cores, only does one core, the fuck does it matter to me, my computers have been using all of their core, you're the idiots that look foolish
    You either took something way too powerful or you're really this stupid. In either case, a visit to a medic is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, my wording is a little off, yes it is Windows that assigns the threads to cores not WoW. That does not change the fact that the thread that runs the draw calls and that thread must be run serially, therefore in order on one core. This core will not be maxed out at 100% as that thread is not optimized properly to use all of the core. This is what causes slowdowns in WoW. In any situation where your FPS tanks, this is why. What did your FPS do when you attacked all those mobs and the one core spiked to 70% for quite a bit longer than the other cores spiked to 50%? I'm betting it dropped a fair amount. Meanwhile, your GPU was probably sitting there using the same amount because over half the time it is just waiting for the CPU to pass it the draw calls.

you're talking about another issue entirely though now. and my fps doesn't spike, not really. It sits at around 40-60 fps in 30 man raids, like I said before.

and I don't think I've ever seen one core be in use at 100% while the other weren't, maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen it on any of my amd processors

15+ Year Old Account

I'm not sure why it's always the people who tell others to educate themselves on CPU usage that don't understand core usage, threading, and how they relate to each other. Yes, a CPU utilization viewer will show a fairly even spread across the cores. This is the OS bouncing the threads between the cores. That does not at all relate to WoW being largely single-threaded. It's not entirely single-threaded, but it has one large main process thread, a smaller thread for sound, and multiple tiny threads for other functions. WoW is limited in its threading possibilities mainly due to serialization of processing for server-client security. This is why people say that it's largely limited to single core functionality, as well as why a higher IPC trumps most other CPU metrics for WoW performance.

I agree. Why do people think they know shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    I'm not sure why it's always the people who tell others to educate themselves on CPU usage that don't understand core usage, threading, and how they relate to each other. Yes, a CPU utilization viewer will show a fairly even spread across the cores. This is the OS bouncing the threads between the cores. That does not at all relate to WoW being largely single-threaded. It's not entirely single-threaded, but it has one large main process thread, a smaller thread for sound, and multiple tiny threads for other functions. WoW is limited in its threading possibilities mainly due to serialization of processing for server-client security. This is why people say that it's largely limited to single core functionality, as well as why a higher IPC trumps most other CPU metrics for WoW performance.

I agree. Why do people think they know shit?

Is it largely limited to one core, or spread out throughout all of them, pick one.

You're literally not making any sense. You've admitted that it uses "many" threads, but then qualify that with "the other threads are tiny."

So okay, I don't know whether this is true or not as to threads, I don't know that far into it. But I've never had an issue where my cpu was the cause of fps stutter, because one core was maxed out because of this mega thread, and the others were under utilized. And when I was having issues, I simply changed a setting in windows 7 to utilize all of the cores.

I can only give you my personal experience, I've only tested the 3 multi core amd processors I've had, but I'm telling you have never once had this one core issue, ever.

When I get my 1080ti I can test that with this ryzen 5, if I get lower than 100 fps I'll report it here, I'll get it in 4 days.

Until then, some kind of link to proof that this mega thread exists would be nice, because I've literally never seen or heard of it being an issue.
    Last edited by T1berius; 2017-08-01 at 02:59 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is it largely limited to one core, or spread out throughout all of them, pick one.
    I suppose I should have worded that to be "largely limited to single-threaded functionality", rather than single core functionality, but people who understand how it works would have known what I meant.

You're literally not making any sense. You've admitted that it uses "many" threads, but then qualify that with "they other threads are tiny."

So okay, I don't know whether this is true or not. But I've never had an issue where my cpu was the cause of fps stutter, because one core was maxed out because of this mega thread, and the others were under utilized

I can only give you my personal experience, I've only tested the 3 multi core amd processors I've had, but I'm telling you have never once had this one core issue, ever.
    Anyone who has done any raiding has felt the largely single-threaded nature of WoW. It's why performance dips so significantly during a raid as compared to while running world quests or something similar.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2017-08-01 at 02:59 PM.

Deleted
    Wake up sheeple WoW is easy to run at 200+ FPS never dip below 120 in 80 man BG fights Using Core 2 Duo T5500 btw

ive never had performance dips related to fps that were significant with any of my setups

we'll see with my 1080ti, maybe the wow single thread will shit on my ryzen, maybe it won't

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Wake up sheeple WoW is easy to run at 200+ FPS never dip below 120 in 80 man BG fights Using Core 2 Duo T5500 btw
    Wake up sheeple WoW is hard to run at 20+ FPS never dip above 60 in 30 man raid Using Intel Xeon E5-2679 btw single thread WoW final boss of the internet so under optimized i have to buy intel cause reasons

i mean no one in this thread has shown any evidence that I'm wrong, I've shown multiple sources, my processes, a link showing how exactly cores are handled

okay yes, one core sometimes gets more usage, this does not equate to "wow is optimized for one core" which I was responding to.

you can't claim that wow doesn't benefit at all from a multicore processor when it actually does, I don't know how else I can explain this.
    Your own screen shots show you are wrong. Yeah, other cores are used. Your screenshot shows it using 87. That's all fine and good. However, 86 of those could all run on one core while the primary thread that handles draw calls runs on the other. Performance would be the same. It will use more cores if available, no one is saying it won't. However, they make no difference at all.

- - - Updated - - -

you're talking about another issue entirely though now. and my fps doesn't spike, not really. It sits at around 40-60 fps in 30 man raids, like I said before.

and I don't think I've ever seen one core be in use at 100% while the other weren't, maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen it on any of my amd processors
    It's not an entirely different issue, it's the cause of the FPS drops. How you can say that varying between 40 and 60 is not spiking is beyond me. That's pretty much the definition of spiking. You must have V-Sync on, so you just see 30FPS all the time, so it doesn't appear stuttery to you. Turn V-Sync off and tell me if those 40-60 variations do not look stuttery.

Of course you will not see one core at 100%, because even the draw call thread does not make entire use of one core. So you will not see a core at 100%, at least not on a good multi-core system. On a dual core, you likely would see one core at 100%, because all those other threads are jammed on to one core with Windows and anything else running in the background. Anything with 4 cores or more though, yeah, you'll never see one core at 100% with the rest using less. What you will see, as in your case, one core that spikes up to 70-90% usage while the others might spike up to 50% or so, then drop down while the other one is still chugging away making draw calls as fast as it can. During this time, when you see one core being utilized more than others, you'll also see you FPS drop. Maybe you are not seeing the difference on your monitor due to V-Sync or your eyes(there are people who legitimately can not see beyond 30FPS and others who can). It's the way WoW works, the DEVS themselves have said it, multiple times. I'll see if I can find a source for that.

- - - Updated - - -

ive never had performance dips related to fps that were significant with any of my setups
    Yet you also say your FPS is between 40-60. That's a 20FPS or 33.333% Drop in FPS. That's significant alright. So which is it, you have no significant drops or your FPS is 40-60? Get your story straight man. Or follow my advice from earlier, better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are dumb then to continue opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post

Yet you also say your FPS is between 40-60. That's a 20FPS or 33.333% Drop in FPS. That's significant alright. So which is it, you have no significant drops or your FPS is 40-60? Get your story straight man. Or follow my advice from earlier, better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are dumb then to continue opening your mouth and removing all doubt.

40 if I'm on ultra, 60 if im not, it's not hard m8

40 if I'm on ultra, 60 if im not, it's not hard m8
    So you are telling me that your FPS stays at 40 no matter what. Flight Path, walking through Suramar, in Dalaran, in a raid, no matter what your FPS is constantly at 40? That's screwed up. Open world and most areas you should be getting far far beyond that. In CPU limited areas, you'll drop to 40.

So based on the AMD Intel wars I see all the time in this forum... I'm sure if he added it to the build of the month we'd just be completely happy and there would be no threads at all about AMDs position in the arbitrary Puppy Dolphin Unicorn list?

Also... I'd like to lodge a formal complaint about there being no Water Bear representation in the naming list. There should be an indestructible build called Tardigrade made from all carbon fiber and kevlar and bubble wrap. Damn you!