Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm not talking about "hyper socialization". You are.

By social creatures I am referring more to the concept of "it takes a village" or "no man is an island". Humans are, biologically, not very functional as individuals (in the way that say, a puma is highly functional as an individual of its species). They are designed to function best in groups.
    Have you seen autistic people working together? We actually can do very well and from what I can tell of personal experience are more mericratic so of anything better suited to it.

The issue is we do not natively do the same social tendencies.

Imagine you self going to let's say pakistan . No translator mo knowledge so you have to confirm to their values abd THEIR way of doing things even if it completely contradicts your own sense if values or social decorum

So over time you adapt a bit but never as good as a native and it is just tiring to fake the normalcy in thay society

THAT is our issue not that we cannot be social but that we must learn a ruleset that is foreign to us

I'm seeing some here talking "what if?" and I'd say that they're making assumptions as to "what is."
    That's just not intellectually dishonest. It's leaning into the delusional.
    Get away from the shitty tech angle. People want and need human contact.

Quote Originally Posted by thesib View Post
    Devolved humans, maybe, particularly the ones further down the spectrum.
    There is literally no such thing as devolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    What if the color blind person survives a weird brain scrabbling color attack on the general population that they can’t see? In effect that trait gave them an evolutionary advantage.
    Do you read, or does autism or colorblindness prevent that?

I do read. Not sure why you ask that though?
    Because the post you quoted directly acknowledged that deficiencies can come in handy in rare fringe scenarios, immediately before you responded with a "gotcha" hypothetical fringe scenario.

So either you *didn't* read, or you read but did not comprehend.

I'm autistic. No, I'm not an evolved human. I'm high functioning and often just socially awkard. I'm normal enough where IRL most people don't know unless I say something, which I have veey little reason to ever do so outside of people bringing up these kinds of conversations.

OP makes sweeping generalizations that don't fit many under the spectrum. It's a spectrum for a reason, symptoms vary for individuals and they will also vary in severety such as someone being non verbal or someone just not being able to alqays recognize things like body language cues.

There is no real advantage I can see from being autistic. Even admitting it opens yourself up for people to harrass you for joining some kind of fad because apparently some people think it is cool to claim being autistic. In addition, it has basically just become an insult online similar to how everyone used to call one another "retarded." Eventually something else will catch on and people will use that as the next insult. I'd wager a majority of people are fairly ignorant to what being autistic means or what it is like, and that's not particularly their fault. We are only fairly recently learning more about it, and it takes time for people to learn (if they even want to).

My contention was actually "developmental fault". But more directly, that the current state of things, where technology is making the world hyperconnected, is actually scrambling, seemingly, a lot of minds that are primed for social interaction. So the hypothetical is not fringe, just framed to the example you gave (someone being color blind)...
    That's admittedly a theory, but then so at one point was the accepted "fact" that heavy metal was going to ruin a generation... right after rock and roll dancing ruined a generation. Right after bifurcated pants ruined a few generations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh the way I think of it as a rpg where you place the stats. You have 2 categories social and intellect/creativity and each one stacks to 10. Every person has 10 marks from birth to death. Most people have 5 marks in both, those who take credit for other work and blame them for your mistakes tend to have more in social than intellect/creativity, the autistic tend to have more in intellect/creativity than social.
    Today is Beautiful and so are you, here's to having a wonderful day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Humans Are naturally included to survive in a natural environment. You are letting current, modern days cloud what you think humans can achieve. Humans used to create their Own weapons, their Own food, their Own homes and clothing. Humans can learn to survive without technology. We did so for hundreds of years. The only reason that hunters today don't know a lot about how to live off the land is because technology has made it a skill that is not typically taught or learned. Its the same way for survivor reality shows. They don't have those skills ingrained in them because they were not surviving in the wild from a young age. They have always had technology to survive. They have to Learn those skills.

Evolution as a whole is about species adapting to survive in their habitat. Humans went with brains and developed tools to help them. Autistic people wouldn't be able to do that. Social interaction goes a long way towards progressing and they are incapable of interacting a lot of the time on a normal level.
    They did and then they didn't and I am letting the current day impact my view because that is reality, not some notion of what we used to do, and stopped for a good reason.

It doesn't matter why hunters don't know today what they used to and I say that cautiously because hunters were but one element of a tribe or group whether they had the technology now or then. The point is hunters don't and they aren't suddenly going to fucking start.

Not by choice but because they don't have decades and centuries of instincts the way many romanticize they do to develop the very few and select skills, that would make them a lot more vulnerable today than most people with autism or just about.

As for tools humans developed YOU DIDN'T I didn't either again as a species as evolution goes this has nothing to do with humanity, or civilization as we define it, if that is natural then you can't argue autism isn't either and you have made the point of why it stupid to try to compare the two as though times haven't change along with the environment.

Everyone today is a product of our environments now. And no I am not saying Autism is the next evolutionary step. I am saying it's fucking irrelevant, and if it is, it isn't as if we can tell at least yet how that would play out. It is very possible what the OT says might have merit, but MY entire argument there isn't any evidence to suggest there is proof.

And there sure as shit isn't any evidence that people today are able to live hypothetically the way they even lived 100 years ago. Your brain your body, your entire physiology has adapted and changed to a point that if you did go back in time you wouldn't likely survive any better 100 years ago than some suggest people with autism couldn't on their own NOW, it is a silly and fucking stupid idea.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

What if the color blind person survives a weird brain scrabbling color attack on the general population that they can’t see? In effect that trait gave them an evolutionary advantage.
    A) Any species advanced enough to create such a weapon wouldn't do so, as it could achieve the same result (dead humans) with far simpler means, like death rays.

B) That's not how the brain works.

Like in instances like these, don't you side with the teacher when you realize what a stressful occupation this is
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2017-08-09 at 09:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last time I checked, evolution doesn't make us worse. We adapt to our environment, not become overly sensitive to sound and unable to understand human interactions.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post

Like in instances like these, don't you side with the teacher when you realize what a stressful occupation this is
    Absolutely not lol. Confrontational teacher who would rather start shit rather than expand on their point to elaborate to the student about how the real world isn't like the school system they are in?

Teacher is failing his job.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    That isn't what Asperger's is. Like I said before, they are where they are in spite of their disability, not because of it. They are also incredibly rare. Intelligence isn't a side effect of Asperger's, and the extreme focus portion of Asperger's isn't some sort of super power. They can't choose what they get focused on. Not to mention reduced motor function and speaking ability aren't going to help you reach the top of your field.
    Asperger's effects IQ people higher on the autism spectrum tend to have higher IQ then average.

"Many Asperger's and HFA children, with their average to above average IQs, can sail through grammar school, and yet hit academic and social problems in middle and high school."

http://www.myaspergerschild.com/
    http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2007...pervasive.html

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Absolutely not lol. Confrontational teacher who would rather start shit rather than expand on their point to elaborate to the student about how the real world isn't like the school system they are in?

Teacher is failing his job.
    It's not the only instance of this, it's a wide spread phenomenon. I mean for how people like to claim autistic people are smart or something and how the more lucid ones claim they are normal, you can see how frustrating it can be for actual normal people to be in their company.

If it wasn't, this wouldn't even be a big deal but it IS.

"Normal" is subjective and based on consensus... there is no "normal". How about just call him by his name, instead of "special".

The teacher is unprofessional.
    Yep. He'd rather argue with a student instead of actually making it clear to the student the point he wantes to make, and in the process acted condescending. No lesson was learned there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Even incest isn't devolution, if we're going to agree a severe loss in social functioning and self-sustainability and independence isn't somehow a significant malfunction.
    Autism isn't devolution jesus man WTF. Some describe it as a defect to which I would say OK(I don't agree), but it isn't incest which is certainly a result of cells too many of the same sells that shouldn't be produced that way.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    Asperger's effects IQ people higher on the autism spectrum tend to have higher IQ then average.

"Many Asperger's and HFA children, with their average to above average IQs, can sail through grammar school, and yet hit academic and social problems in middle and high school."

http://www.myaspergerschild.com/
    http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2007...pervasive.html
    That doesn't state that they have higher IQ than average, it says that many aspergers and HFA children with average to above average IQ can do well.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Yep. He'd rather argue with a student instead of actually making it clear to the student the point he wantes to make, and in the process acted condescending. No lesson was learned there.
    Btw ignore Tsuginaiwhatever his name is. He hates and wants autists dead. Rather today then tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    It's not the only instance of this, it's a wide spread phenomenon. I mean for how people like to claim autistic people are smart or something and how the more lucid ones claim they are normal, you can see how frustrating it can be for actual normal people to be in their company.

If it wasn't, this wouldn't even be a big deal but it IS.
    And yet when I went through special needs schooling, when a fellow student was clearly being a moron the teachers were not confrontational. They were able to adequately explain their point without belitting their students.

Also, strangely enough, most people just want to be normal. What that kid was asking for wasn't exactly absurd. The teacher could just refer to him by name.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Btw ignore Tsuginaiwhatever his name is. He hates and wants autists dead. Rather today then tomorrow.
    Noted.