Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    By Nazi salute they meant Roman salute? Also is it legal to beat people in Germany?
    Maybe if your country had recent experience with Ancient Rome, but for much of the world the salute is more closely associated with Nazis, especially in Germany where the Nazi party has its roots and rose to power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    fits you just fine. Are you always that obtuse?
    fact remains you are slandering the dumb drunk guy and bashing Americans... but that was your plan all along, wasn't it?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    You condone it by blaming the victim for not playing by the rules.
    There are no victims here, both are being dealt with the authorities, as they should.

Guess those chinese turists last week where neo nazis to.

My second question was to the OP who said that beating a person was OK. I'm kinda aware that it's not legal in Germany. Duh.
    Your question was literally "is it legal to beat people in Germany?"

Maybe this one?
    "Why do so many people from all around the world don't get that if you visit a country you have to play by its rules?"
    Don't throw a Roman salute or get beaten is a rule in Dresden?
    No, but "don't throw a Nazi salute or get arrested and charged" is a rule in Germany, did you read the article at all?

I wasn't askign the article to answer my question, I was asking OP, duh, in relation to what OP said, not the article. I know German laws.

Are you sure because you're doing an excellent impression of someone who is clueless.

Don't throw a Roman salute or get beaten is a rule in Dresden?
    It's definitely something you should expect in the part of the city where this happened. Doesn't matter if you call it the Roman Salute or the Gloxon Greeting from that one sci-fi show. It's illegal in Germany (context matters) and if you still try to get away with it specifically there in Dresden, you have to calculate for getting punched for it. But really just to avoid any confusion about getting punched or not, maybe just not do it at all. In Germany specifically but really just anywhere.

I'm not saying it was good or justified, but play stupid games, win stupid prices. I don't feel pity for the tourist and don't have a problem with the assailant (who might have been just as drunk, given where it happened) remaining unknown (I assume "nobody saw")
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    If you don't want to be called a neo-nazi you shouldn't openly admire the greatest nazi in existence.
    Who is admiring anything?

It sounds like he got drunk and decided "Hey this is Germany, where Nazis were from haha /nazisalute"

10+ Year Old Account
    You condone it by blaming the victim for not playing by the rules.
    Was it right for him to get beaten up? Perhaps not.

That however doesn't make what he did any less of a crime in Germany. You'll struggle to find just about anywhere where ignorance of the law is a suitable legal defence.

15+ Year Old Account
    "American neo-nazi" "Drunken American"

Hmmm.

Do we really have to explain the duck test to people nowadays?

Deleted
    By Nazi salute they meant Roman salute? Also is it legal to beat people in Germany?
    You read the story before jumping in to support a dickhead, right?

Lucky guess...you voted trump

I doubt he was a neo-Nazi. More a drunk American pillock, swiftly reminded why you don't do that in a place already fucked up by the old-school Nazis.

Not that that will stop the actual neo-Nazis from coming into this thread defending him.

Not advisable to throw the nazi/roman salute anywhere, but in good company, joke or not.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    fact remains you are slandering the dumb drunk guy and bashing Americans... but that was your plan all along, wasn't it?
    It's a fact because you said so

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    "American neo-nazi" "Drunken American"

Hmmm.
    neither is exclusive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    There is no proof that the Bellamy salute was ever used in Rome. It is, however, depicted in much, much later paintings. There are no references or Roman depictions of this salute. In fact, as far as we know, the painting you posted a picture of is the origin of the salute.
    You might be right, it very well could be the origin of the salute... if that IS the case, then it was still appropriated.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    i might add that another article (too lazy to search for it right now, but it matches up pretty well with the article linked anyways) mentioned that this happened at 7:30 am, so considering the guy i would assume didn't get up 6 am or so to get high speed shitfaced before breakfast this guy sat in a bar all night drinking, god knows how many "friends" he made during this time.

Also how do you define beat up ? as far as i could find out through german media (the shitty media, serious media didn't touch this with a 10 foot pole) this guy got punched, as in punched once which also matches pretty well with substaining light injuries so i would take a guess that "beat up" is kinda misleading, though if someone can link an article from an at least semi serious news source stating otherwise so be it.

edit: in the end the american guy was an idiot, and possibly doing more then just a nazi salute here or there considering how drunk he appears to have been, but we don't know that for certain so whatever, he will get what is effictivly a slap on the wrist for breaking the law, the guy who punched him just as well and it's done, laws have been uphold and all is well, idiots (both of them) get punished as idiots deserve and thats fine
    Last edited by mmoc405f7ecfbf; 2017-08-14 at 11:52 AM.

You cannot call a person neo-nazi just for the salute.
    Actually, yes you can.

See, there are pretty much exactly only 2 reasons to throw out that salute:
    1: you are some breed of nazi.
    2: You are some form of Roman Re-enactment actor (and given the sketchyness of the actual Roman origin of the Salute, even that would be questionable).

So, as I pointed out, unless you are decked out in roman re-enactment regalia, tossing that salute around pretty much makes you a nazi. Unless you have some other viable reason why someone would toss that salute out. However, considering it is literally not used in any other context but the above two, I would find that hard to believe.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Actually, yes you can.

See, there are pretty much exactly only 2 reasons to throw out that salute:
    1: you are some breed of nazi.
    2: You are some form of Roman Re-enactment actor (and given the sketchyness of the actual Roman origin of the Salute, even that would be questionable).

So, as I pointed out, unless you are decked out in roman re-enactment regalia, tossing that salute around pretty much makes you a nazi. Unless you have some other viable reason why someone would toss that salute out. However, considering it is literally not used in any other context but the above two, I would find that hard to believe.
    Wow, I can list at least 10 more reasons, and that would be just from the top of my hat. But go on, be quick to jump to conclusions.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Wow, I can list at least 10 more reasons, and that would be just from the top of my hat. But go on, be quick to jump to conclusions.
    Ok, list one. And no, "I'm just demonstrating what a nazi salute is" isn't going to cut it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Ok, list one. And no, "I'm just demonstrating what a nazi salute is" isn't going to cut it.
    Of course it's gonna cut it. It's a valid reason to demonstrate it no matter what YOU think.

But here's another one: Drunk joke.
    And another one: "TAXI?!"
    And another one: "He was THIS tall"
    And another one: "Somewhere in that area on one of the buildings"
    And another one: "Why you no high five?"
    And another one: "nazi's did a salute like this"
    And another one: "so did the americans! like this."
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side