Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not sure why you think I'm opposed to private property ownership.
    Well it's clearly because you are defending the rights of said private property owner to keep their Lenin statue which obviously means you are a full blown communist, probably have your own hammer and sickle too.

Speciation Is Gradual

I think toppling statues is retarded. It was dumb when the left did it and it's dumb now.

That being said, if it's on private property, get fucked. Your feelings end where the rights of others begin. If it's on public property, you can always bring it up to your local politicians and vote on it. It's a democracy, that's how it works.

This is on private property, so the alt-right can get fucked.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2017-08-17 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ukrainians would be proud!
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    This is on private property, so the alt-right can get fucked.
    One would argue they can take down the statue and if the "owner" files a complaint then he is not a real commie, since he believes in private property. But I guess the mental gymnastics is hard at work in both nazis and communists living in today's western democracies.

Seems perfectly reasonable. If you want to tear down statues because [reasons] then you need to take into account other peoples [reasons] too. Especially when slavery/death/symbolism is why you are decrying those statues.

public land take it down, private land then whatever. Maybe NC and other states should quickly sell the statues/land to a private party hmm......
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    One would argue they can take down the statue and if the "owner" files a complaint then he is not a real commie, since he believes in private property. But I guess the mental gymnastics is hard at work in both nazis and communists living in today's western democracies.
    The law doesn't respect what one person believes. Even if a person does not believe in the law they are still protected by it. Taking down the statue and asking for permission later is vandalism.

I sure hope they don't give it the finger if it falls.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Good old Lenin lol.

Quote Originally Posted by storyline View Post
    And also, a large swath of the confederacy fought over states' rights, not slavery. But let's just disregard that completely verifiable fact of history :/
    This is objectively and demonstrably false. The Confederacy was more restrictive about the rights of its members states than the Union ever was.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    "Government private property" doesn't exist. Government property is by definition public.
    Go trespass at your nearest Army/Air Force Base and try telling the MPs that. I'm sure they'll get a laugh out of it as they haul you to the brig.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Go trespass at your nearest Army/Air Force Base and try telling the MPs that. I'm sure they'll get a laugh out of it as they haul you to the brig.
    "Public" does not mean "unrestricted." It means owned and held in trust for the public. Army bases are such: they're owned by the American taxpayer and held in trust for us against times of need.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    This is objectively and demonstrably false. The Confederacy was more restrictive about the rights of its members states than the Union ever was.
    Actually it is objectively and demonstrably true.

Take the most prominent Confederate general, Robert E. Lee, who chose to fight for Virginia not to defend slavery, or even because he believed in secession, but because it was his home. From an excerpt from a biography about Lee:

One thing that clearly drove him was devotion to his home state. “If Virginia stands by the old Union,” Lee told a friend, “so will I. But if she secedes (though I do not believe in secession as a constitutional right, nor that there is sufficient cause for revolution), then I will follow my native State with my sword, and, if need be, with my life.”

The North took secession as an act of aggression, to be countered accordingly. When Lincoln called on the loyal states for troops to invade the South, Southerners could see the issue as defense not of slavery but of homeland. A Virginia convention that had voted 2 to 1 against secession, now voted 2 to 1 in favor.

When Lee read the news that Virginia had joined the Confederacy, he said to his wife, “Well, Mary, the question is settled,” and resigned the U.S. Army commission he had held for 32 years.
    -http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/making-sense-of-robert-e-lee-85017563/

State's rights was more than just the political tug-of-war between the Federal and State governments, it was also the idea that Southerners considered themselves citizens of their state first and of the Union second. That is why many people chose to fight for the Confederacy, as Lee did.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    nobody has won. Everyone loses when we give attention to extreme groups. Just ignore them. Millennials don't know anything about politics anyway. I'm just glad that they don't vote.
    Can't say I disagree with you. The main indicator of stupidity in "extreme-whatever", is the word "extreme" - be it right wing, left wing or whatever else that follows. And I personally would have loved seeing the age needed to vote being raised to 21, just for one.

Cannot say I would get worked up about stone and metal statues being removed. In the end I didn't know it was there yesterday and if it was gone tomorrow things would be the same.

Deleted
    Ah yes, tearing down statues, kinda like what happened in Europe in late medieval times.

I guess that's where the US is in it's developments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Think that one flew over your head there buddy.
    Hard to tell, with so many utterly demented left wing-apologists around here lately. I really didn't think those posters being referred to as alt-righters (and actually fitting the bill, mind you) could be beaten in the idiocy-game, the most extreme end of the right wing usually wins that prize rather easily, but there has been very strong competition put forward from the extreme left lately, here on mmo-champion. At some point it gets hard to distinguish people being satirical to people just being genuine, but full on retarded.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who thinks communism is fucking retarded and wonder why a Lenin Statue even exists in America. No I don't think they should tear it down just "because">

It'd make them no better than the fuckwits that destroyed the statue the other day.

Man are the alt-right and the antifa competing for the highest levels of retardation?

Sure looks like they do,and we don't have a clear winner yet

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Uh...?

Are people expected to raise huge issue with this? Lenin doesn't represent the modern-day Left even remotely. All this tells me is that you don't understand why people were opposed to the Confederate statue to begin with.

It had very little to do with political alignment and more that the Confederate was rigidly opposed to a huge portion of the current American populace even being considered US citizens. Celebrating and glorifying images of people who oppressed (and no, not 2017 oppressed, actually oppressed) the forefathers of now-legal citizens is bound to cause drama. The fact that "Confederate pride" still exists in 2017 is kind of disturbing to me honestly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I believe any Confederate statues should be removed. In my eyes, it's a part of US history and serve as an important symbol of America's growth. The whitewashing of history is a huge issue for the entire world and should never be encouraged. But to compare a statue of Lenin with a statue of a Confederate soldier is such a laughable comparison.
    You're right that there is no moral equivalence between confederate soldiers and Lenin, but I disagree with your score keeping. Lenin's ideology has been responsible for rivers and rivers of blood. Confederate soldiers fought for their country, such that it was.