Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I don't even... what?
    It was clearer in my head...

I've just noticed that you really appreciate / will buy nice hardware, be it a camera, monitor, or speakers. On the flip side, I'm typically pretty frugal, so I'll use the same hardware for a while. In this particular case, I'm using speakers from a consumer stereo system (5 speakers + the tower) with a different amp to replace to tower/amp that came with the unit.

In short, I was just teasing your sensibilities with my older hardware.

The edit was me just specifying exactly what I was using because I anticipated someone might ask. (Speakers, Amp)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    It was clearer in my head...

I've just noticed that you really appreciate / will buy nice hardware, be it a camera, monitor, or speakers. On the flip side, I'm typically pretty frugal, so I'll use the same hardware for a while. In this particular case, I'm using speakers from a consumer stereo system (5 speakers + the tower) with a different amp to replace to tower/amp that came with the unit.

In short, I was just teasing your sensibilities with my older hardware.

The edit was me just specifying exactly what I was using because I anticipated someone might ask. (Speakers, Amp)
    hehe well, I do have an unfortunately "rich" taste, I must admit.

I did used to use some cheap shit. I don't know how long I'll keep using this monitor/these speakers/this computer setup. However this computer setup has certainly been my most flawless. I have this knack for desiring as close to perfection as possible. =X

And ahhhhhhh yes, I understand the speaker/amp setup you have now. Before it just looked like too many letters and numbers for me to want to try and comprehend.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Speaker quality hasn't really evolved much in the last 35 years. Some, but not much. The quality floor is, however, severely lowered. '80s speakers are not at all an embarrassment to have, for instance.

Other parts of the sound experience have evolved more. Be it stereo amplifiers or what not.

As for Remilia's request, I know little. Because I have little to no research on brands in America. In this area, they always seem to be a localisation issue. Ie, every country has almost complete mutual exclusivity in available speakers without any sort or overlap whatsoever.
    Sorry.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2017-08-17 at 11:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Speaker quality hasn't really evolved much in the last 35 years. Some, but not much. The quality floor is, however, severely lowered. '80s speakers are not at all an embarrassment to have, for instance.

Other parts of the sound experience have evolved more. Be it stereo amplifiers or what not.

As for Remilia's request, I know little. Because I have little to no research on brands in America. In this area, they always seem to be a localisation issue. Ie, every country has almost complete mutual exclusivity in available speakers without any sort or overlap whatsoever.
    Sorry.
    rofl that sorry comes off hilariously final. XD
    "A flower.

Anyone here pay attention to DEFCON by chance? I went through this presentation tonight, I generally go through most of them every year but the idea of an open source trusted hardware platform is something I'd be excited for! Also talks of AMD making their PSP, Trustzone IME equivalent open source looks promising. Only reason I'm into is working for an MSP security plays a big role here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post

Sorry.
    Useless! Oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Anyone here pay attention to DEFCON by chance? I went through this presentation tonight, I generally go through most of them every year but the idea of an open source trusted hardware platform is something I'd be excited for! Also talks of AMD making their PSP, Trustzone IME equivalent open source looks promising. Only reason I'm into is working for an MSP security plays a big role here.
    Our military threat level index?

No? Wtf

Also, can't open the link to the presentation.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Our military threat level index?

No? Wtf

Also, can't open the link to the presentation.
    Opens fine for me, it's a pdf link. Stop by their site and take a look, they have a lot of presentations each year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Opens fine for me, it's a pdf link. Stop by their site and take a look, they have a lot of presentations each year.
    Worked now.

- - - Updated - - -

Page 28: rouge. GAH

- - - Updated - - -

What I got skimming through that is if Nation-state A, could hack a ton of vitally important computers at the firmware/hardware level being used by Nation-state B, they could effectively bring Nation-state B to its knees.

Essentially, the USA is already fucked.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I give up on computer forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Which thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I'm increasingly giving up on polite conversation. There's no room for subtlety.
    Could always be anti-social then just don't have to bother, >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Which thread?
    Skylake thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave up ages ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cicadas are so loud it almost is like one of them is actually IN our basement. To be fair, it's probably in the fire escape window.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp, waiting for just an entire chassis to be made out of LEDs. Also waiting for screws and stuff to be made out of LEDs too.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/236375/t...s-rgb-radiator

15+ Year Old Account
    Welp, waiting for just an entire chassis to be made out of LEDs. Also waiting for screws and stuff to be made out of LEDs too.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/236375/t...s-rgb-radiator
    You know, at a certain point I think that amount of leds will affect performance.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I can't decide whether to buy the graphics card I need, or the graphics card I want :/ (I only need a 1070 class gpu, but I want a 1080ti )

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I can't decide whether to buy the graphics card I need, or the graphics card I want :/ (I only need a 1070 class gpu, but I want a 1080ti )
    Neither, if you wait "a little longer" you could get a 2080, and a "little longer" after that, a 2080ti. Wouldn't you rather wait and get more bang for your buck? :P

On a more serious note, if you bought the 1080ti, would you save money / break even in the long run? That is, would it affect your future purchases - say, push it out an extra year or something?

----------

For some reason my Ergodox has been periodically missing keystrokes, but not in any repeatable way. It's really annoying. My first instinct would be "hey, I must've screwed up the soldering on that key," but it's afflicting a lot of them across both halves. I'm no expert solderer (I learned how for this project alone!), but I don't think I would've screwed up that badly. Well, just on the off hand that it's a firmware issue, I've downloaded a newer version and reflashed it. Hopefully that will help...

I suppose it also could be that my system has been running for almost 33 days without being power cycled (unless you count being put to sleep before bed and woken up after work). I wonder if that could cause some funny business.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fuck hurricanes and my life. I can't catch a break.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, go with middle of the pack video cards. Tend to be the better purchases from price/performance and long term.

Recently been playing games more on the PS4 though. PSO2 mainly and some new releases from Japan where PS4 tends to be first or only. Only game I've been playing on the PC recently is FFXIV. Runs decently well on a 560 if you just reduce the shadows really, that don't really look that big of a difference.