Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthium View Post
    I live in a country with free market and yes - there is such law. If we have 6 teleoperators and ISPs they can't all set random prices. They can, of course, reduce the price of theirs slightly, add different packages and options but if everyone is selling phone+net+tv for around 15 euros per month, one company cannot just set it to 5 euros per month. It's against the law. I'm pretty sure thats how it works everywhere.
    "Its like that in real life, it should be like that in WoW!" is not an argument that holds even a drop of water.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

The US has a law where you can't jack up prices for products such as shovels/food/etc during an emergency. Is that anti-free market?

I kind of wonder if you could bind items on purchase from the ah what the current going rates would be.

What item are we talking here? That leads to the bigger question.

Like one of the new elixirs had the WQ up for rank 2. Considering they used 1 Primal Sargerite to craft 1, and you need 5 of the potions to make them, caused these to become highly ignored. But if you sucked it up and bought 5 of the potions on the AH or just used your Primals, you could make a lot of profit, like, a staggering amount once you got the Rank 2 from finishing the WQ.

The day the light blood elixir Rank 2 WQ was up the potions were going for 8k on my realm. If you got rank 2 the combine only required 25 Astral Glory to make. Which came to 875g (35g per Astral on my realm) Needless to say, the people who did get Rank 2 posted these for a lot, me included. Considering the price of the potion, and the price of the mats to make the potion was nearly a 1000% profit return I undercut the lowest seller by 1k. Next thing you know I get mail from him berating me about it.

What I am saying is..Profits are still there. If you're so greedy that you want to make a 100, 200, 300, 500% profit return on a simple crafted item then congrats, you're extremely greedy. I personally am fine walking away with a several hundred gold profit if my items rapidly sell instead of selling only a few for an absurd amount.... which they likely won't even sell.

You say that but the truth would be that some people were posting it a lot cheaper as well. But because they were cheap they were easy to manipulate.

Deleted
    Why is it bad to lower the price of an item? If he think it worth less its up to him to decide. He farmed it, not you. He values his own time.
    Just a recent event: Top guilds were selling TOS boost run, they made a deal that no one gives it less than Y gold. But they were like 2 guilds who could kill hc kj that time (very first weeks). They got millions of gold.
    Just ask the other farmers to keep the price, if you can

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    The US has a law where you can't jack up prices for products such as shovels/food/etc during an emergency. Is that anti-free market?
    Nope. But I am not sure how having the lowest prices equates to profiteering.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Isn't that how the world works? I mean we all like profit but some are just less greedier than us.
    Also it's not like they owe you anything, they too work for their gold, material and the shit they sell on ah and they can set whatever price they want.

This is a long debunked myth, stuff doesn't sell faster just because it's 50% cheaper. If raiders need Vantus Runes, they go and buy it, whether it costs 2,5k or 1,5k. They don't go and say: Oh wow I wouldn't normally use it, but now that it's 1,5k I will buy it. Noone says that. It may be the case with rare transmog items of course, but with consumables and raid materials, it's not true. You need it - you buy it.
    That's a false. I'm undercutting items by ~30-60% if I want them to sell ASAP, because they're just taking up space in my bag, for example - BOEs from the raids.

This is the most ridiculous complaint I read on this forum since a year AT LEAST.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW Auction is too small for market rules to work properly. I wish they would make it region-wide one day. Until now it'll work as it is now, I don't think something would change.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I undercut all the time when I want to sell something fast, such as an item I picked up that is selling for 20k on the AH it will price at 15k to 18k just so I can get rid of it..

Heck I sold one of those shadoweave masks for 9500 gold 500 gold less than what the cheapest one was and it sold fast..

With how much one can make gold now what you make on the AH is just a bonus..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    i've never understood people who put stacks of 1 on the auction house when they could put a stack of 20. but each to their own I guess. I know I prefer to buy the 20 stack even if it is slightly more expensive than if I bought 20 stacks of 1
    There's a sweet spot for mats and it's different for different mats. After a while you find out that some items don't sell well as a stack but sell just fine in batchs of 3 or 5 units. One of the interesting parts of researching what you are going to do with the AH is lot sizing bundles based on your sense of what's being built at that point in time.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica View Post
    That's not a free market, that's a cartel.
    Used to have one when I played this PBEM back in the day and suddenly a new quest introduced a demand that maybe 4 of us could supply. Those were the days.

Shoutout to @Zka.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2017-09-05 at 08:47 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Shoutout to @Zka.
    /wave
    I guess you were a TF player, what's your nick there?

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    /wave
    I guess you were a TF player, what's your nick there?
    Used to be Condor, was taken here.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    There's a sweet spot for mats and it's different for different mats. After a while you find out that some items don't sell well as a stack but sell just fine in batchs of 3 or 5 units. One of the interesting parts of researching what you are going to do with the AH is lot sizing bundles based on your sense of what's being built at that point in time.
    yeah 3 or 5 is fine, depending on the item (flasks etc make sense to be sold in lots of 3 as there are lots of guilds who raid for 3 hours) but 1? definitely not

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    http://imgur.com/a/7NKei

Doing this shit should actually be restricted through in-game system. Now, I'm not an economist IRL but I'm pretty sure that if you open up a shop or business there is a law preventing you from setting your prices absurdly low, because you cut out the competition, and in order for the competition to follow you, they should all drop their prices so low that the entire market value of the product or service gets f***ed.

I know I shouldn't be drawing parallels to real life economy in a game but I'd like to see undercutting greatly restricted on the Auction House, and if you want to sell something for 50% of the price like the moron over here, just use trade chat instead. Also worth mentioning are the individuals that, using the Auctionator addon, then add up to the misfortune by undercutting the troll price itself and ruining the prices even further.

I have NOTHING against undercutting for small amounts in order for your item to be sold first, I did it, you did it, everyone did it. As long as the average market price remains the same. Destroying other people's chances at earning decent money with the effort they put in by leveling their crafting skills and gaining the recipes, is pathetic.
    You fail at basic economics.

Let me help you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand
    What could be a problem is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predatory_pricing but Predatory pricing works in real life, not in an ingame economy like wow because there are almost no entry barriers in any of wow's AH markets so you can't really "bankrupt" your competition and rely on entry barriers to become mono/oligopolist during a certain time.

http://imgur.com/a/7NKei

Doing this shit should actually be restricted through in-game system. Now, I'm not an economist IRL but I'm pretty sure that if you open up a shop or business there is a law preventing you from setting your prices absurdly low, because you cut out the competition, and in order for the competition to follow you, they should all drop their prices so low that the entire market value of the product or service gets f***ed.

I know I shouldn't be drawing parallels to real life economy in a game but I'd like to see undercutting greatly restricted on the Auction House, and if you want to sell something for 50% of the price like the moron over here, just use trade chat instead. Also worth mentioning are the individuals that, using the Auctionator addon, then add up to the misfortune by undercutting the troll price itself and ruining the prices even further.

I have NOTHING against undercutting for small amounts in order for your item to be sold first, I did it, you did it, everyone did it. As long as the average market price remains the same. Destroying other people's chances at earning decent money with the effort they put in by leveling their crafting skills and gaining the recipes, is pathetic.
    Buy up the cheaper stuffs and repost. Problem solved. If you are playing the AH game you have enough gold to buy out the competition.

If you don't like the way I AH, fight me. (I hate stacks of 1, that's my only issue with your screenshot.)
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================