Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    What temps do you get in XTU and Prime95?
    No more than 65c on P95.

XTU average around 61c.

And that's on 5.0ghz core/cache and 1.345 V.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kobor View Post
    It was a bad choice installing OS and Games to a HDD nowadays.

SSD prices are so good and performance is like you are flying instead of driving on a dirt road. It is not the pure speed difference, but the access time (delay on HDD) is that makes the Huge advantage for SSDs. Suggesting to clone the whole old drive to an SSD and you will not regret it.

However, games can be fully loaded into the Memory and HDD speed should not effect gameplay, but Windows can do a lot of things in the backgrounds, even swapping that could be causing slowdown. You will love the speed of the SSD as all the load speed will greatly increase for all the programs installed on the PC.

GTX 970 and 1060 is quite close on Benchmark, just because the new card design, you will not expect huge difference.
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    Sure but these issues are really odd. No way HDD does that...

Also, my friend has a 960, not 970. The 960 is significantly worse than mine, but his does everything smoothly without OC.

To be fair, I don't think GPU performance is the issue. I think there is something else. CPU not properly utilized and/or low RAM. But RAM at 8GB DDR4 isn't bad, really. Good enough for what I do.

- - - Updated - - -

So, let's say I want my CPU to be at 5.0ghz.

What do I do here? Should I change the Cache Voltage as well? What about voltage offset?!

Last edited by mmoc01554e0dd1; 2017-09-08 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkza View Post
    I will buy new RAM in a few weeks I guess. Maybe 3000 Mhz with 2x 8GB. I'll ditch the HDD as well. If problems persist, I don't know what to do.

I just overclocked my GPU and nothing changed. Here's another thing: I turned off v-sync in FIFA and my FPS goes to 200+. YET the image stutters. No, this isn't the usual screen tearing you get from v-sync being off. It's just stutter. However, I played League of Legends at 200+ fps and all seems fine on that.

People with worse specs that I've talked to can run FIFA perfectly nice. Or other games.

Drivers are updated. HDD is a good one with 7200 RPM. Temperatures perfect. Overclocking doesn't help. Specs are great (except RAM, but it doesn't seem to be totally used in a game).

.......................................................................................... ..................................
    Are you running the games in windowed or borderless windowed mode? If so, that can cause the stutters since fullscreen mode gives exclusive access, windowed or borderless windowed mode does not. I get stuttering in Overwatch if I play it in borderless window mode, goes away if I switch to fullscreen.

- - - Updated - - -

So, let's say I want my CPU to be at 5.0ghz.

What do I do here? Should I change the Cache Voltage as well? What about voltage offset?!

Don't overclock with software. Do it in the bios.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-09-09 at 04:43 AM.

snip
    Since you didnt really mention this stuff at the first post.

You seem to have messed with lots of things at the moment and you -do not overclock with a software-, like ever, its a noob trap as it seems to have worked as such.

You need to start fresh, cause god knows what you messed with.

1)Load defaults at BIOS, dont touch anything, no OC, no anything. maybe your RAM XMP if you want, nothing else, AHCI should be on either way.

2)Then please, format, reinstall Windows, Creator's Update ISO is available from the official Microsoft site, let it update, let it finish, dont do anything else.

3)Then check your motherboards website for newer drivers (dont have to but helps, usually windows 10 update does a fine job finding the stuff it likes to use).

4)Check your nvidia drivers, Windows Update will have put its one too, they are around 2 months old, they arent that bad, again you shouldnt really have to do anything.

Retry your games while keeping everything default and clean still.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-09-09 at 04:48 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Since you didnt really mention this stuff at the first post.

You seem to have messed with lots of things at the moment and you -do not overclock with a software-, like ever, its a noob trap as it seems to have worked as such.

You need to start fresh, cause god knows what you messed with.

1)Load defaults at BIOS, dont touch anything, no OC, no anything. maybe your RAM XMP if you want, nothing else, AHCI should be on either way.

2)Then please, format, reinstall Windows, Creator's Update ISO is available from the official Microsoft site, let it update, let it finish, dont do anything else.

3)Then check your motherboards website for newer drivers (dont have to but helps, usually windows 10 update does a fine job finding the stuff it likes to use).

4)Check your nvidia drivers, Windows Update will have put its one too, they are around 2 months old, they arent that bad, again you shouldnt really have to do anything.

Retry your games while keeping everything default and clean still.
    I agree with this statement...except.

Users that do not have experience in overclocking, XTU is the best software to use on a K series chip until you get a stable overclock, then set it in the bios.

His OC is obviously not stable.

and OP, MB's like to supply more voltage than what is needed on OCs and cause alot more heat, always set your voltage manually. I think yours is a little high at 1.350-1.375.

1.35 is the highest I would go on that chip and thats even the high side. I can get mine to 5.0 as well at 1.35 but it acts stupid like yours without showing signs of overheating. Not all 7700k will hit 5.0, and most that do are delidded.

here is a good guide for beginners.

And use an overlay with whatever monitor software you're using so you dont have to try to tab out and catch it doing stuff.

I recommend RTSS (Riva Tuner) for an overlay and HWInfo.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Users that do not have experience in overclocking, XTU is the best software to use on a K series chip until you get a stable overclock, then set it in the bios.
    Except it's really hard to get a stable overclock when you dont have access to all the settings that influence your overclock, and only BIOS gives you full access.

@OP looking at your settings you're running adaptive voltage. You're never gonna have a stable overclock with it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Except it's really hard to get a stable overclock when you dont have access to all the settings that influence your overclock, and only BIOS gives you full access.
    have you ever used XTU

Deleted
    @potis
    @Kagthul
    @Thunderball

Okay, I reinstalled everything and only got drivers for the GPU from the official site (the MB already had updated BIOS). I scored nicely on the Passmark test, but noticed something on CPU:

The CPU generally scores high (88th percentile, without OC), but both the Prime Numbers and Physics score are low (46th and 51st percentiles, respectively). Does that have anything to do with my PC having only 8GB of RAM? Or is that irrelevant? And what could this be?

Addendum:

Could this maybe be due to low voltage? Should I increase the voltage in the BIOS without overclocking? If so, by how much?

- - - Updated - - -

As you can see, I get great results on everything (on par with usual benchmarks with my specs, even though I haven't overclocked at this point), with the exception of RAM (only 8GB) and the two sub-scores from CPU, namely Prime Numbers and Physics. Both are MUCH lower than average. Prime numbers is basically some of the lowest anyone has scored with my CPU, and Physics is also very low (average being 700+, mine being around 409). Everything else is perfectly fine. The CPU scores well except on those two. Why is that?

I may have 8GB only, but is that really what pushes those two scores THAT far low? It makes no sense. Could it be that my RAM stick should be in another slot as it is a single RAM? I put it in the first slot, maybe it should be in second?

What is the issue here? Why does my CPU score low on Prime Numbers and Physics? I tried increasing voltage, nothing changes.

So, really, all good except those two scores. It bugs me. Physics is important to score high on.
    Last edited by mmoc01554e0dd1; 2017-09-10 at 02:01 AM.

have you ever used XTU
    Never used it to overclock, familiar with it of course, what's your point?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    i have a few suggestions that you can try before rma,
    1. Cpu temp, incorrect thermal paste application or shitty brand. my i5 6600k never goes above package 44c and thats even when im bitcoin mining during the night.
    2. What cord are you using to connnect monitor to gpu? my 1070 has a special cord that it has to use thats not any that ive ever seen on previous cards.
    3. Complete every single last windows update, including the long one from a month or two ago.
    4. make sure your ram is inserted according to exact mobo manual. maybe one stick every other slop instead of one after the other.
    5. check different psu cuz this was my issue on a older pc long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

had exact issue because of shitty thermal paste, bought good stuff and cleaned cpu with alcohol and it worked way better

Deleted
    Can you see anything wrong with my scores above? Why is everything great except Prime Numbers and Physics scores? I've tried to edit a few things in BIOS to get the numbers up but nothing works. I haven't tried OC'ing yet after the fresh install, but that wouldn't fix the real issue here with the low numbers on a relative scale.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smooshtheman View Post
    i have a few suggestions that you can try before rma,
    1. Cpu temp, incorrect thermal paste application or shitty brand. my i5 6600k never goes above package 44c and thats even when im bitcoin mining during the night.
    2. What cord are you using to connnect monitor to gpu? my 1070 has a special cord that it has to use thats not any that ive ever seen on previous cards.
    3. Complete every single last windows update, including the long one from a month or two ago.
    4. make sure your ram is inserted according to exact mobo manual. maybe one stick every other slop instead of one after the other.
    5. check different psu cuz this was my issue on a older pc long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

had exact issue because of shitty thermal paste, bought good stuff and cleaned cpu with alcohol and it worked way better
    Well, temperatures are great and all, and after fresh install my benchmarks are okay.

But as you can see in the post above, "Prime Numbers" and "Physics" under CPU benchmarks score very low. If there were something wrong with my hardware, everything would be low. It's just those two.

Can you see anything wrong with my scores above? Why is everything great except Prime Numbers and Physics scores? I've tried to edit a few things in BIOS to get the numbers up but nothing works. I haven't tried OC'ing yet after the fresh install, but that wouldn't fix the real issue here with the low numbers on a relative scale.
    Yes. A stock 7700K should score 12K.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_loo....20GHz&id=2874

Both of those are dependent on memory bandwidth, so I'd start looking there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dont knock it until you try it. Never used it but your familiar with it?

@OP, what drivers did you install for your motherboard?

Deleted
    Yes. A stock 7700K should score 12K.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_loo....20GHz&id=2874

Both of those are dependent on memory bandwidth, so I'd start looking there.
    As I said, all the other scores except Prime Numbers and Physics are average or even above. It's only those two pulling the overall CPU benchmark score a bit down.

Does a DDR4 2400mhz, 8GB RAM really put Physics score from what should be 720 to 410?

- - - Updated - - -

@OP, what drivers did you install for your motherboard?
    Just the latest motherboard BIOS.

Any idea why my CPU scores great on everything except Prime Numbers and Physics?

It might be a problem of settings ingame.. Sometimes the problem and solutions are on the simple side.

Show us your settings. Are you using v-sync? Tripple buffering? What's the refresh rate of your monitor?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    It might be a problem of settings ingame.. Sometimes the problem and solutions are on the simple side.

Show us your settings. Are you using v-sync? Tripple buffering? What's the refresh rate of your monitor?
    I only have FIFA installed now after reinstalling Windows. It is maxed out. It runs well. Without FPS limit it goes 200+ fps consistently but I see some tearing. That might be my screen which is at 60hz.

Any idea why my CPU benchmark shows low on Prime Numbers and Physics? Check my image above.

Yes, I've seen what settings are available and I know that those are not enough. What is there to try? It's even worse than most motherboard specific OC software application that are out there.

- - - Updated - - -

As I said, all the other scores except Prime Numbers and Physics are average or even above. It's only those two pulling the overall CPU benchmark score a bit down.

Does a DDR4 2400mhz, 8GB RAM really put Physics score from what should be 720 to 410?
    You dont have 2400 MHz, your effective frequency is 1200MHz if you're running single channel. However, I doubt that it's the root of the problem.

I just built a new gaming PC two weeks ago and I feel unsatisfied with the gaming performance. Overall, the PC doesn't feel "smooth" (I suspect Windows being installed on an HDD being the cause for the OS slacking), and games tend to stutter. For instance, I bought GTA 5 and made the exact same settings as my friend who has GTX 960 4gb and i7-4790k as well as 16gb DDR3 RAM.

I have GTX 1060 6gb and i7-7700k, 8gb DDR4 RAM (at higher Mhz than his). Yet my game stutters A LOT and his does not. I suspect it might be the RAM, but I really doubt it. The game doesn't use 8GB of it from what I've checked.

What can it be? I am incredibly frustrated. Drivers are updated FYI.
    GTA V has an issue with RAM usage which becomes even more obvious if you've been stupid enough to disable the page/swap file. MAKE SURE you have not disabled your page file which should by default be set to 2x8GB in your case. Basically, running GTA V with 8GB RAM is a bit of a hit and miss, had a few friends who instantly get their stuttering fixed when adding additional RAM. No other game that I know of should have the same issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    GTA V has an issue with RAM usage which becomes even more obvious if you've been stupid enough to disable the page/swap file. MAKE SURE you have not disabled your page file which should by default be set to 2x8GB in your case. Basically, running GTA V with 8GB RAM is a bit of a hit and miss, had a few friends who instantly get their stuttering fixed when adding additional RAM. No other game that I know of should have the same issue though.
    ? Almost every single AAA game released in the last two years wont be able to work properly on the PC with 8GB on RAM and pagefile disabled. For most of them it's the same story if you have 16GB.

Deleted
    You dont have 2400 MHz, your effective frequency is 1200MHz if you're running single channel. However, I doubt that it's the root of the problem.
    So, why is my CPU scoring low on Physics and Prime Numbers? I tried voltage increase, nothing happens. I enabled Turbo Boost. Why is every other score around average while those two fall far behind? Anything I can do?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    Sure. I'll get another RAM.

Any take on my issue with CPU benching low on Prime Numbers and Physics, whereas every other score is great?

- - - Updated - - -

Does anybody have a clue? Why does my CPU score very low on Physics and Prime Numbers?