View Poll Results: Would you marry or date someone with a physical impairment?

Voters
57. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

39 68.42%
  • No.

18 31.58%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The range of possible impairments is so broad that there's really no way to give an answer beyond "it depends". For example, sure I would (and have) dated women who wore glasses.

I'm off the market, but ...

her glasses wouldn't be a deal breaker.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Promised myself Id stay out of this forum, but this prompted a reply.

I married a woman knowing she had a degenerative muscular disorder. I fell in love with her, not her illness. I loved her and adored her until the day she passed away in 2015.

I would not trade one moment of that time with her for anything in this earth or any other. She is and was one of the kindest, gentlest, most loving people I have ever known.

I was her husband and her carer in the end.....every single day was one more day with her, and the physical didnt matter a damn.

If any of you would, for one moment, allow any kind of physical issue to get in the way of love or a relationship, then you have literally no idea of what you are throwing away. When love calls, you answer. When that moment comes, if you dont seize it, you are a fool beyond redemption.

Accept a person for who they are and what they can give you and be given in return, or choose to live and die alone.

Your call..and in the end, your loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    The range of possible impairments is so broad that there's really no way to give an answer beyond "it depends". For example, sure I would (and have) dated women who wore glasses.

I'm off the market, but ...

her glasses wouldn't be a deal breaker.
    Yeah Taylor Swift seems alright. I do kind of find it odd when people say they would date someone with an impairment it is always contingent on what they might look like, lol.

Honestly I think it sounds less dickish to simply say no outright, and say one is not prepared emotionally for that, it would be a much better lie. Rather than to try to appear as if they could ramp up the courage to fuck a hot person with a minor flaw that is more of a unique feature, you know being a hero.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Physical impairment is so broad that you can't say yes or no. If they were in a wheelchair, then no. If they were missing a hand from a work injury? Yes. If they were permanently limping due to injury? Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security
    Yeah Taylor Swift seems alright. I do kind of find it odd when people say they would date someone with an impairment it is always contingent on what they might look like, lol.
    Ah, is that Taylor Swift? I just grabbed a picture of a woman in glasses, and I like redheads.

I don't think that it is contingent on a person's looks, but the Internet doesn't lend itself to taking a picture of a woman who can hold a good discussion on CISG. All other things being equal, I don't see a physical impairment as necessarily being a flaw of some kind, that's just part and parcel of who they are. For all I know, were that woman and I both on the market and mutually interested, forgetting to put the toilet seat down might be a big deal for her but she might be willing to overlook my torn up left knee making me less nimble.

@Aehl Condolences. It is wonderful that you had the opportunity and that you were up to the challenges.

Not meaning to take away from that, but unfortunately not everyone is and I don't fault them for acknowledging it. I'm on the other side of the coin. I was married for twenty years -- you know, the "in sickness and in health" bit. My ex had several issues she was dealing with and I'm not inclined to be particularly bitter, but when it looked like illness was going to turn fatal in a couple of years she pretty well bailed on me. You did not, you stood by your spouse, but it isn't something everyone can or will do.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Ah, is that Taylor Swift? I just grabbed a picture of a woman in glasses, and I like redheads.

I don't think that it is contingent on a person's looks, but the Internet doesn't lend itself to taking a picture of a woman who can hold a good discussion on CISG. All other things being equal, I don't see a physical impairment as necessarily being a flaw of some kind, that's just part and parcel of who they are. For all I know, were that woman and I both on the market and mutually interested, forgetting to put the toilet seat down might be a big deal for her but she might be willing to overlook my torn up left knee making me less nimble.

@Aehl Condolences. It is wonderful that you had the opportunity and that you were up to the challenges.

Not meaning to take away from that, but unfortunately not everyone is and I don't fault them for acknowledging it. I'm on the other side of the coin. I was married for twenty years -- you know, the "in sickness and in health" bit. My ex had several issues she was dealing with and I'm not inclined to be particularly bitter, but when it looked like illness was going to turn fatal in a couple of years she pretty well bailed on me. You did not, you stood by your spouse, but it isn't something everyone can or will do.
    I have no idea if that was Taylor Swift I was guessing, she is a lovely though. Oh and you are correct, no I am not critical of that, if that is how it came off, I mean I would but I would never want to be in that position, it isn't easy.

Well if they were blind, then I might have a chance with them.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Well if they were blind, then I might have a chance with them.
    Dude COME ON, I am sure I am fucking uglier than you, and I have dated just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Dude COME ON, I am sure I am fucking uglier than you, and I have dated just fine.
    Then you aren't uglier than me

Is ugly a physical disability though ... ?

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

I only date people with physical advancements. Bionic arms, rocket boot feet, cybernetic eyes that can give readouts of people's power levels, etc.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you aren't uglier than me

Is ugly a physical disability though ... ?
    No it's not and even if it was you could still get some pretty nice women, I am not kidding, depending on if that is your orientation, what you lack and looks you can make up in personality, and you don't have to try to be who you aren't some women will cut you off at the knees that is no lie, but I am sure none of that will be because you are as ugly as you think you are.

Seriously maybe you want a cold hearted heartless person as your whatever that is on you, and then maybe you should get plastic surgery and be the kind of man that woman or guy would want, but if you want to come down to earth and not turn into someone you hate and being yourself, then start being reasonable with yourself at least.

You make it sound like you could scare Kujo off a meat truck, seriously and some are actually even into that.

Not advice just personal experience.

No it's not and even if it was you could still get some pretty nice women,
    Well, reality and statistics both disagree with you. Sadly - reality is where I live, so forever alone. Hint - I had 100/100 rejections on one online site based on my photo alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, reality and statistics both disagree with you. Sadly - reality is where I live, so forever alone. Hint - I had 100/100 rejections on one online site based on my photo alone.
    Well first off there is your problem most people on a photo alone are going to get a shit review, I think @Fencer said it in another thread about desperate dweebs being a dime a dozen. Yeah that is unattractive.

Sure some women are going to look at only looks, but you have to remember a photo tells them nothing other than you like to look up or hold the camera way to close and we both why that could be.

Want to see some pretty ugly photos of some very revered women in Hollywood, seriously photos mean nothing other than Yah or Nah!

Honestly it depends.

the only thing where I might lean towards ending it regardless is if she can't have children.

Well first off there is your problem most people on a photo alone
    Well, it is damn hard to get a date if I can't get past the first step is it now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it is damn hard to get a date if I can't get past the first step is it now.
    Well don't worry I am not going to give you advice, I can tell you what I did and my experience is. I think one of the first things I learned is stop to think who was I and figure that out first, and then stop to think of who you want to be with see who you are with that person no matter what.

Do you have to change who you are or adapt, and more important do you want to be that person, keep in mind women are a lot like men in terms of they don't always know what they want maybe it's just right now.

But, in the end being alone can suck if you are truly looking for that, so that leads into the other thing where you are looking. If it is where they are looking at least you are in the right place.

Provided it isn't dive bar or a street corner.

The rest are aesthetics, it's good to to have style but sometimes something may be all wrong for you, make sure you are comfortable first, if you can't feel comfortable you will look uncomfortable. I don't mean dress like a slob, but honestly I have seen guys who look like slobs get further than someone who looks uncomfortable or awkward.

Like I said the sex doesn't matter of the person, if you know what you want you know who you want to be with someone else, you go from there. It's ok to be afraid though, fear is you being conscious about yourself, just don't read too much into it.

I can tell you right now if you ask you are going to hear NO, doesn't mean it's you or them.

Like I said not advice, but I know I am right about everything I said, and if I knew you I could place a bet I could get you in a meet and date. After a few times your confidence will improve by a lot and you will realize you have a whole range of problems you haven't even got to yet or considered, none of them being you are ugly, or can't get a date.

You will still be fucked for what you want, ask most of the people here or anywhere dating now. Their problem is they don't know what they want.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-09-10 at 04:24 AM.

Well don't worry I am not going to give you advice, I can tell you what I did and my experience is. I think one of the first things I learned is stop to think who you are and figure that out first, and then stop to think of who you want to be with see who you are with that person no matter what.

Do you have to change who you are or adapt, and more important do you want to be that person, keep in mind women are a lot like men in terms of they don't always know what they want maybe it's just right now.

But, in the end being alone can suck if you are truly looking for that, so that leads into the other thing where you are looking. If it is where they are looking at least you are in the right place.

Provided it isn't dive bar or a street corner.

The rest are aesthetics, it's good to to have style but sometimes something may be all wrong for you, make sure you are comfortable first, if you can't feel comfortable you will look uncomfortable. I don't mean dress like a slob, but honestly I have seen guys who look like slobs get further than someone who looks uncomfortable or awkward.

Like I said the sex doesn't matter of the person, if you know what you want you know who you want to be with someone else, you go from there. It's ok to be afraid though, fear is you being conscious about yourself, just don't read too much into it.

I can tell you right now if you ask you are going to hear NO, doesn't mean it's you or them.

Like I said not advice, but I know I am right about everything I said, and if I knew you I could place a bet I could get you in a meet and date. After a few times your confidence will improve by a lot and you will realize you have a whole range of problems you haven't even got to yet or considered, none of them being you are ugly, or can't get a date.

You will still be fucked for what you want, ask most of the people here or anywhere dating now. Their problem is they don't know what they want.
    Don't bother, countless posters have tried to help him with advice, he just mopes right on past it and keeps moaning about how his life is the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Don't bother, countless posters have tried to help him with advice, he just mopes right on past it and keeps moaning about how his life is the worst.
    Not giving him advice, I just hope he gets past himself, shit nobody will ever have a chance to say no.

Well don't worry I am not going to give you advice, I
    That's an awful lot of no advice there ... I learned years ago to accept that I'll be for ever alone. Reality sucks, but it certainly better than false hope. I'm ugly and I have a disability - women can't handle that

As to the original question - I don't think people generally will start dating someone with a disability, but if there is a way to get over that initial hurdle - then the rest isn't a problem.

That's an awful lot of no advice there ... I learned years ago to accept that I'll be for ever alone. Reality sucks, but it certainly better than false hope. I'm ugly and I have a disability - women can't handle that

As to the original question - I don't think people generally will start dating someone with a disability, but if there is a way to get over that initial hurdle - then the rest isn't a problem.
    See what I mean? He just mopes right past advice.