Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

Student President of Georgia Tech's Pride Alliance shot and killed by Campus Police

It seems that this is a pretty clear case of why you shouldn't approach police officers with a knife in your hand while refusing to follow instructions. Is this really a 'tragedy' in the sense that much of the media is portraying it? Does this event have the right factors in place to become a major news story this week?

A knife-wielding engineering student was shot and killed by police after refusing to drop the weapon on the Georgia Tech University campus Saturday.

Police say Scout Schultz, 21, of Lilburn, was holding the knife when they ordered it to be dropped. Schultz didn’t comply with the demand and instead walked toward officers. One of the officers fired a shot, which knocked Schultz to the ground. Schultz later died at a nearby hospital.

The type of knife Schultz had wasn’t immediately clear, but WSB-TV Atlanta reported “it appeared to be a metal, flip-open, multi-tool,” and the Schultz family attorney referred to it as being a “pocket knife.”
    http://heavy.com/news/2017/09/scout-...killed-photos/

At 11:17 p.m. on Saturday night, the Georgia Tech Police Department received a call "of a person with a knife and a gun," the GBI said.

What followed took place outside of a Georgia Tech dormitory. The GBI said that Shultz "would not comply with the officers’ commands," and that the student had a knife.

"Shultz continued to advance on the officers with the knife," the press release read. An officer then fired, according to the statement.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/remysmidt/g...yM#.abEvVmwBmw
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Is he black? Do we need to riot?

A knife-wielding engineering student

That's a phrase you don't see everyday.

OMG! He was wielding a multi-tool!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

approach the cops with a weapon and refuse to comply. You just might get shot. Why do people not get this?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    approach the cops with a weapon and refuse to comply. You just might get shot. Why do people not get this?
    Mental illness gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    No, but we still need to riot.

Deleted
    Oh no the evil cop! He should have fought him barehanded, possibly getting fatally stabbed. Pigs, all of them!

Deleted
    Do s it matter lately? If the media screams drama the sheep will get in line.

10+ Year Old Account
    "yobany rot"...

Suicide by cop. I'm sure the family will be demanding compensation, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is off to a great fucking start with the racebaiting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Oh no the evil cop! He should have fought him barehanded, possibly getting fatally stabbed. Pigs, all of them!
    Even barehanded he would get blamed.

Don't cops in US use anything apart from guns?

I mean tazers, telescopic batons, proper martial art training, tear gas, rubber bullets, anything non-lethal?

It is not like a student with a multi tool can magically teleport to you and kill a properly trained and equipped police officer, can he?

Assuming that events transpired exactly as reported, I think there is one relevant question that needs to be asked:

Why did the usually Taser-happy police not use the tasers that can fired from distance to incapacitate the student?

This is they. The response to their death will be that they is mentally ill.

What's more interesting that the article doesn't use he/him pronouns does that mean they is non-binary? The author of the article is such a nice and respectful writer.
    Last edited by Shinra1; 2017-09-17 at 10:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    "yobany rot"...

Suicide by cop. I'm sure the family will be demanding compensation, as usual.
    Suicide by being dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Tazer? Rubber bullets? Tear gas? Flashbang?
    Shoot the guy in the knee?

Yeah, a case of suicide by police. He can be heard saying "shoot me" in the video taken a minute before police shoot him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    aH yes, the Y chromosome, noted summoner of rape demons from the misogyny dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post

This is him. They'll probably say he is mentally ill.
    What would you say?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    Don't cops in US use anything apart from guns?

I mean tazers, telescopic batons, proper martial art training, tear gas, rubber bullets, anything non-lethal?

It is not like a student with a multi tool can magically teleport to you and kill a properly trained and equipped police officer, can he?
    Officers from my understanding are trained not to take chances such as that. It doesn't take long for someone to close the distance and stab you with an object. All it can take is a bit of hesitation and you're either dead or severely injured. I understand people being skeptical of someone running, it's another when the individual actually charges at you with intent to either do you harm or force your hand.

She was told to comply. They tried to get her to chill it the fuck out. She came at them. They fired.

Why they didn't use a non-lethal device is beyond me though, granted, the report they received (I gleaned from the article) said the individual in question had a knife and possibly a gun. The latter of which is why they maybe didn't utilize non-lethals in the first place. This is a bizarre scenario all around but I wouldn't go pointing fingers at the cops necessarily.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2017-09-17 at 09:49 PM.
    German science is the greatest in the world!