Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Wow, they can't even stop a girl without killing her?

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    They sign up to get shot while being defenseless?
    They got tasers and pepper spray. Also words.

Here's the thing, cops are very dangerous to citizens. I think that danger should be lessened by removing some of the tools cops use to harm people.

If only one innocent person is saved than disarming each and every cop is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post

Here's the thing, cops are very dangerous to citizens. I think that danger should be lessened by removing some of the tools cops use to harm people.

If only one innocent person is saved than disarming each and every cop is worth it.
    You are so incredibly stupid it's unbelievable.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    tasers verses bullets. What could possibly go wrong right?
    guess some people think policing is the same as baby sitting a kindergarden class
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    guess some people think policing is the same as baby sitting a kindergarden class
    Well Elba did just argue police can win a gunfight with pepper spray and words.

You are so incredibly stupid it's unbelievable.
    How so? I think the state should not kill citizens. I oppose a police state.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    No, I know it is dangerous. But that is known before they sign up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Maybe they can, maybe they can't. That's a risk I can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    They? There's only one individual in that picture. His ideology doesn't erase that fact that he's, well, a he, an individual of the male sex. The fact that he doesn't wish to adhere to social norms and ideas associated with the male sex doesn't change that, hence no nonsensical language modification is needed.
    You clearly don't have the common courtesy to respect the wishes of a dead kid or their parent's feelings, even if you disagree with the way they identify you could have at least chosen the correct pronouns. How very immature and tone deaf of you. Perhaps people like you rejecting they's self-identification is what led to they having a mental breakdown.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    when it comes to these threads, certain people place very little value on the lives on police.

"Durp they are expected to die in service". Yeah cops are people too, with a sense of self preservation over the life of a stranger/nobody
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    How so? I think the state should not kill citizens. I oppose a police state.
    And when citizens kill each other? The police should just stand aside and shout at them? You realize their procedures for neutralizing threats are to protect the public as much as protect themselves, right?

That's a risk I can live with.
    Fortunately, no one with any authority in our government agrees with you.

Here is the thing:

A criminal shooting a cop is tragic. But. It is less tragic than a cop shooting an innocent citizen.

Because the state doing something horrible is worse than criminals doing something horrible

Because we hold them to different moral standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    Just curious so we are on the same page .... are you somehow implying that, "Well, this person couldn't have potentially killed ALL the officers, so that is no reason to shoot them"? Because, posing such a threat to even a SINGLE officer will get you killed if you not only repeatedly refuse to comply with their orders to drop your weapon (regardless of the weapon .... a 3 inch blade on a multitool is plenty long enough and likely sharp enough to pierce the neck and kill someone) but then to also scream to "Shoot me". The cops in this instance acted as training dictates. You can argue that "well, they should have used a taser or a rubber bullets or a baton or something", but the fact is, there is a person with a knife who was, per the video, 10-12 FT from one of the officers (not 8-10 m as you claim). Hell, even Mythbusters showed that someone inside of 15 ft can potentially get you even if you have a gun.

The fact is, this person gave more than enough reason to be a credible threat to the life and safety of a police officer and then refused to comply with orders to drop the weapon and stop. This person rolled the dice and they lost.

The real question is, this person was obviously suffering from some sort of mental illness (whatever it was), so how did NO ONE that knew them notice and try to get them help? You don't live a perfectly mentally healthy life and wake up from a nap one evening and decide to try to get yourself killed by a cop.
    Mythbusters were testing when one person was standing still and trying to shoot, while the other one was just running at him.
    The dude in this story was not running, the police officer was not standing still. He could've just keeped the distance and was not in much danger.

A 3 minute youtube search.

A knife wielding guy tazed and cuffed without having to be killed:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQT-5jmTEWY
    Police in Ukraine using nothing but batons to stop the knife wielding drunk:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkcAlext6yQ
    Police in Russia using batons a shovel and a low kick to stop the knife wielding dude:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgtdotvCNA

So there are other options aside from killing someone ye?

Deleted
    So? They shouldn't have.

If you can't take the heat, don't become a cop. It's a job they get paid for and sign up for voluntarily.

I'd rather not risk citizens' lives.
    Look, i can understand your vieuws but in times like these?
    How should they respond to a terror attack with ak47's? I am not trying to bash you but how in the case i just gave would you have them respond? Is that still worth it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    Officers from my understanding are trained not to take chances such as that. It doesn't take long for someone to close the distance and stab you with an object. All it can take is a bit of hesitation and you're either dead or severely injured. I understand people being skeptical of someone running, it's another when the individual actually charges at you with intent to either do you harm or force your hand.

She was told to comply. They tried to get her to chill it the fuck out. She came at them. They fired.

Why they didn't use a non-lethal device is beyond me though, granted, the report they received (I gleaned from the article) said the individual in question had a knife and possibly a gun. The latter of which is why they maybe didn't utilize non-lethals in the first place. This is a bizarre scenario all around but I wouldn't go pointing fingers at the cops necessarily.
    Worth considering something -- most police are only supposed to use non-lethals under the same conditions under which they would use their firearm; i.e. reasonably perceiving an imminent threat to the life or safety of themselves or another. If we parse their degree of threat, I think it's much more likely we'll see tasers and stun guns become an off-hand substitute for any patience or negotiation. Besides, non-lethal isn't a magic spell, people can and do get killed or seriously injured by those options as well, which is why the standard for use of force is (generally speaking) the same anyway, to avoid police being cavalier with use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendix187- View Post
    How should they respond to a terror attack with ak47's? I am not trying to bash you but how in the case i just gave would you have them respond? Is that still worth it to you?
    Just ask them to stop obviously. Maybe bake them some cookies.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

And when citizens kill each other? The police should just stand aside and shout at them? You realize their procedures for neutralizing threats are to protect the public as much as protect themselves, right?
    Taze them all.

Fortunately, no one with any authority in our government agrees with you.
    And here lies the problem. The state thinks it has the authority to kill its own citizens. How can you think that the government should have the right to kill you?

Die on their knees and afraid like that poor bike cop outside the Charles Hebdo massacre?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    You clearly don't have the common courtesy to respect the wishes of a dead kid or their parent's feelings, even if you disagree with the way they identify you could have at least chosen the correct pronouns. How very immature and tone deaf of you. Perhaps people like you rejecting they's self-identification is what led to they having a mental breakdown.
    "Correct" pronouns...

The range on pepper spray and a Tazer is FAR FAR shorter than that of a gun. Which means that not only are the cops defenseless themselves, but as they try to hide from a gun wielding nutjob, others of those citizens you so proudly want to protect will likely be gunned down. You are aware that police training doesn't remove the officers natural instict to protect their own lives right? They aren't going to try to get to 20 ft from a shooter just to use a Tazer (assuming you mean a Tazer though, with the projectile barbs, and not a taser in the generic sense of a stun gun with a range of basically 0 ft) while the gunman is firing at them. Just because they voluntarily signed up be a cop doesn't mean they signed over to forfeit their lives for nothing, right? And if those cops are killed trying to subdue, with a Tazer or pepper spray, guess who will be next? More of those citizens you want to protect.

Put on heavy body armor and swarm them.

Taze them all.

And here leis the problem. The state thinks it has the authority to kill its own citizens. How can you think that the government should have the right to kill you?
    The government has only those powers that are derived from the rights of the people whom create said government; the police, then, can use lethal force to prevent death or grave bodily injury because any human being has that right by their nature.