Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Another thread where Mall Security is wrong, painfully wrong, but instead of admitting defeat, he'd rather just keep stomping his feet and doubling down on his wrongness. Kudos MS, it takes real talent to be this wrong, most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    i am happy with my samsung G8+ this iphone is just a copy of it but not better
    You mean like exploding batteries. Near as I can tell anything Apple ripped off anyone else they seem to make it better. Apple might shit the bed once in a while but they make a quality product once it's released.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    You mean like exploding batteries. Near as I can tell anything Apple ripped off anyone else they seem to make it better. Apple might shit the bed once in a while but they make a quality product once it's released.
    its not that they are adopting already proven technology, its that they take the tech and then charge the consumer x3 as much for it. The iPhone X isn't a flagship tier device, its a designer/luxury device. Thats fine and all, I just wish they would do it without people having to take out loans (which phone plans are anyway) because they think they are getting the "best" phone. The most prestigious, yes, but its the best like an Alienware or Razer PC is the best.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I'm not an acolyte in the Cult of Apple, so I wasn't going to buy one anyway.

You know what really bugs me? People who attack Apple, and go android, and then buy Samsung stuff. Samsung is fucking literally just the Apple of Android. Almost everything bad Apple does, they do. I bet like, 75% of people who do that, have Samsung phones.

I still use my iphone 5C and it works great. I got it for $100. I don't see a need to upgrade besides getting more storage.. If I am going to spend $1000 dollars I would rather spend that money on buying a PS4, an Xbox, a Wii, and low end computer combined for that cost.

My iphone 3G's battery exploded while sitting on a charging station. LUL.. samsung isn't only one.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-09-18 at 05:14 AM.

The difference between the iPhones and those older smartphones features like face recognition is that it will probably work so much better than on the android side.

I don't care about who invents what, but Apple usually only implements stuff when it works pretty well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    its not that they are adopting already proven technology, its that they take the tech and then charge the consumer x3 as much for it. The iPhone X isn't a flagship tier device, its a designer/luxury device. Thats fine and all, I just wish they would do it without people having to take out loans (which phone plans are anyway) because they think they are getting the "best" phone. The most prestigious, yes, but its the best like an Alienware or Razer PC is the best.
    Except, this isn't an Apple only thing:

You could spend $840 on a Galaxy S8+ - OR - you could spend $960 for essentially an S8+ with a stylus and extra camera. ERMAHGERD TAKE MAH MONIEZ!.

You could spend $800 on an iPhone 8+ - OR - you could spend $999 for essentially an 8+ with much smaller bezels and a face-scanning for security and *sigh*Animoji. ERMAHGERD WHY DOES APPLE THINK THEY CAN CHARGE SO MUCH?!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Consider that no one owns the phone yet, no one can then say that the technology fails. All the video proves is that some guy watched what everyone else did, and then assumed the facial recognition failed.
    We physically have.... uh... I guess 200-250 in hand, we just can't deploy to the end users. From what Jeff told me "white guy with beard set face req, black guy and white girl were able to unlock, bug report sent to apple" but I have not touched it myself. Everything else works fine it seems. Took our corporate encryption and AirWatch better than previous versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Buying an Apple product is like getting involuntary anal sex from Steve Jobs.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

won't buy, don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Yeah, getting a picture of the person whose phone you try to crack is totally less possible than trying N billion of codes... wha!?
    I would imagine the phone checks for depth, making a picture impossible to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So saw this vid from unbox therapy about the quick charge capabilities of the iphone x. Found it interesting.

Oh god, I have to save this. The guys at work will laugh at this..

We've already received a few orders for the iPhone X..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Never really understood the reason for a fingerprint scan or facial recognition for a phone
    I don't know about many of you but I don't leave my phone lying around so anyone can pick it up to use it
    I see it as a gimmick to justify its outrages price
    I have a Huawei mate 9 with a finger print scan never set it up never plan too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Never really understood the reason for a fingerprint scan or facial recognition for a phone
    I don't know about many of you but I don't leave my phone lying around so anyone can pick it up to use it
    Phones get lost and/stolen. Phones hold A LOT of valuable information even if its not straight up access to accounts with saved passwords. A fingerprint scanner adds another layer of security. Like a fence around a house and a deadbolt on your door, the more layers the less likely a criminal will even try to break in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Except, this isn't an Apple only thing:

You could spend $840 on a Galaxy S8+ - OR - you could spend $960 for essentially an S8+ with a stylus and extra camera. ERMAHGERD TAKE MAH MONIEZ!.

You could spend $800 on an iPhone 8+ - OR - you could spend $999 for essentially an 8+ with much smaller bezels and a face-scanning for security and *sigh*Animoji. ERMAHGERD WHY DOES APPLE THINK THEY CAN CHARGE SO MUCH?!
    I criticized the S8 too. Difference is that Samsung isnt putting out proprietary overpriced cables and restricting their device from most if the industry.

Galaxys are almost more cutting edge when it comes to hardware and their launchers, affording a high price. Apple wants to charge users early adopter prices for 3 year old tech.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    Does it have a stereoscopic camera at the front? If not, then they're selling you a lie upon a lie. And again: Even IF that were true, it's STILL much much much easier to make a convincing enough mask (making it from a printout might even be enough) than the potentially millions of years of supercomputer time required to crack a half-decent passcode. Don't drink their cool-aid with that deep gulps. (And yes I know what I'm talking about, I have studied and work in IT, which touches on security issues pretty much daily.)

And that even still leaves out the practicality issues I mentioned earlier. It's a still-born idea.
    I believe it projects a whole bunch of dots to take calculate a wire mesh model of your facial structure, which is why the feature is only available in the X... if it was just a picture with the camera it would work with any of the models.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    We physically have.... uh... I guess 200-250 in hand, we just can't deploy to the end users. From what Jeff told me "white guy with beard set face req, black guy and white girl were able to unlock, bug report sent to apple" but I have not touched it myself. Everything else works fine it seems. Took our corporate encryption and AirWatch better than previous versions.
    I believe you, but this does seem really weird... I'm sure they tested the feature heavily to make sure it actually worked so it seems odd it would fail so badly.

Deleted
    Yeah, he tried and then realized it was the passcode screen. It's not a failure because some YouTuber says it is. If someone wants to disput it, then present something that factually disproves the technology and shows that it fails.
    You did not watch the linked video did you.

Deleted
    Some YouTubers opinion? Yeah, I did. Did you read the article that I linked, which included a video stating what actually happened?
    Yes i did and it is true in that case, but after reading more on the topic it is clear there are still problems. We will see soon enough of they will get it running flawless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    It is still a usefull feature for allot of people.

- - - Updated - - -

We'll see once it's officially released. Right now I'm hesitate to believe all these YouTubers because no one owns one yet.
    I do agree that most tubers will use this socalled fail for vieuws. But personaly i am pretty sceptical.

You can't use a photo to unlock it. Apple already stated that.
    Apple devices tend to be quite buggy, i wouldn't be surprised if a perfect picture causes it to unlock, or if an apple update causes the feature to stop working entirely.