(I'm Australian). I dont understand just how obscenely powerful the NRA is... and how it continues to retain said power.... despite shit like this happening - and how obvious it is to the entire fucking world - that Americans have got it wrong with regards to guns. (and that doesnt mean 'take the guns away' - it means start with the obvious things like implementing more stringent security checks for people buying guns etc etc, withholding certain machine-gun type weapons which nobody in their right mind needs for 'self defence')

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    Only if we can have a daily truck attack/stabbing attack/ bomb attack in Europe megathread.
    well there arent daily terrorist attacks. That's the big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    wtf you guys keep talking about? he had no priors no history of mental illness. no law would have stopped this. stop making shit up.
    Sure, but just because he doesn't have a history of mental illness doesn't mean he didn't have an untreated mental illness.

Do you really think that someone who is completely sane an healthy would do something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Our country as a whole has roundly rejected any kind of mental health care or gun control. All most people are willing to offer are thoughts and prayers to victims.

At this point, when I heard this news story, my first and only thought was "That sucks, oh well." People really don't give a shit about meaningful reform.
    The problem is people just throw around buzzwords. "We need mental health checks" The argue the Why pretty well. What they dont argue is the Who, What, When, Where and How. Gun control advocates have not gotten together and proposed any solutions. At least from what I have seen. It is almost as if they are quiet until a shooting happens, then both sides get riled up, then a few weeks later its forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    (I'm Australian). I dont understand just how obscenely powerful the NRA is... and how it continues to retain said power.... despite shit like this happening - and how obvious it is to the entire fucking world - that Americans have got it wrong with regards to guns.
    It's not just the NRA, that's why, people vote for politicians who agree with laws, that's how laws get passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Does this include Trump's?
    Kinda, if we would all ignore them, I'm sure he would eventually get bored and stop posting He is posting only because he needs to be in center of attention all the time. Like being POTUS is not center of attention enough, he also needs to jackass on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Sure, but just because he doesn't have a history of mental illness doesn't mean he didn't have an untreated mental illness.

Do you really think that someone who is completely sane an healthy would do something like this?
    Yes. America is in a fucking political shitstorm scandal every day and week with their current administration. It wouldnt surprise me if sane and healthy people went to bizarre fucking extremes and snapped and did shit like this as a result. Obviously it would be extremely uncommon, but in a country of hundreds of millions of ppl it only takes a handful..

wtf you guys keep talking about? he had no priors no history of mental illness. no law would have stopped this. stop making shit up.
    I'll say this again. You just typed your post because the thought popped in your head, you then actively projected those thoughts into reality through the net. He could have been a saint before the shooting, but he shot up a crowd of people because he most likely had this thought on several occasions. Mental illness is not a quantifiable thing just yet as well. We don't know everything about the brain, and somebody seemingly perfect on the outside could be a can of worms on the inside. We don't have complete control over understanding those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    We also saw it after Charlottesville. There were tons of people shitposting like this. In fact, you even did it (although, not as bad as this person). Let me know when you want to be outraged by all those people.

People are stupid, and say stupid shit. Just don't try and minimize that your side also does it.
    Read my following post

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    well there arent daily terrorist attacks. That's the big difference.
    There aren't mass shootings every day either, most gun crimes are committed by gangs/cartels.

Well that's just incorrect.

Not the best time to get into this discussion but;

In the last 24 hours there were three attacks on civilians in Canada, France and the US.

Canada - truck attack: 5 injured, no fatalities.

France - knife attack: 2 fatalities.

US - long gun attack: ~400 injured, 50+ fatalities.

So there are laws that can severely mitigate the loss of life but your country just has no interest in them.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-10-02 at 04:46 PM.

Thought this was interesting

Nevada has some of the most-relaxed gun laws in the country, a legislative condition that is sure to come under renewed scrutiny in the wake of the worst mass shooting in U.S. history on Sunday night in Las Vegas.

Nevada law does not require firearms owners to have licenses, register their weapons, or limits the number of firearms an individual posses. Automatic assault weapons and machine guns are also legal in the state as long as they are registered and are possessed in adherence to federal law, according to the National Rifle Association.

Nevada does not prohibit the transfer or possession of assault weapons, 50 caliber rifles or large capacity ammunition magazines. Local law enforcement issues concealed handgun licenses. Open carry is legal without a permit.

Yes. America is in a fucking political shitstorm scandal every day and week with their current administration. It wouldnt surprise me if sane and healthy people went to bizarre fucking extremes and snapped and did shit like this as a result. Obviously it would be extremely uncommon, but in a country of hundreds of millions of ppl it only takes a handful..
    It should surprise you that violence on this scale could be perpetrated by anyone regardless of their mental health. It's scary that it doesn't.

Thought this was interesting
    Neither does Vermont, and it has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

considering the level of planning and preparation that went into it, quite possibly.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Yet. Even with this administration and the shit storm that comes with it, our country > your country. Kinda sad honestly.

People don't just go to sleep at night fine, and then the next day wake up and decide to kill 50 people. Mental illness takes time to manifest, and I'm willing to bet this could have been prevented at some point in time by someone catching the warning signs, be it family or friends, or a doctor.

Access to mental health services in this country is a joke.

You know what I don't find surprising? This map from that link:

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Given the fact that there is no clear motif for this attack I am starting to feel that this is an "out with a bang" kind of scenario. There was a similar shooting in my country some years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alph..._mall_shooting

yes as it just happened. you think everybody goes around acting crazy before they do something like this? serious?

when a person has mental illness his immediately family knows, if they are in his life and they were. he called his mother just a week or two ago to see if power had been restored. he was normal by every means, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Read my following post
    Oh, I did. I just wanted to recognize that the conservatives are more than capable of being obnoxious asshats during a tragedy, including you.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    considering the level of planning and preparation that went into it, quite possibly.
    Someone being mentally unstable and capable of planning something like this aren't mutually exclusive. The unabomber is an example of that, he clearly wasn't mentally stable but he was very intelligent and planned things out extensively.