Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    The biggest problem is that people think things like this is a mental illness problem to begin with.
    If it's not mental illness what is it? It doesn't seem tied to any particular religion or cause.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Silencers aren't some god item the way they are in video games, and wouldn't work for more than a second with this frequency of shots.
    i dont play those types of games never have, but i watch youtube vids tho of real guns being tested during harsh conditions.

but you are right in me not being a expert in guns tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterBeast View Post
    well there arent daily terrorist attacks. That's the big difference.
    And there aren't daily mass shootings either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    No, the act of theft and using it to shoot someone is the harm. Sorry, try again. The simple act of owning a gun has never harmed a single person. Not once. Now, careless and improper handling of a firearm has led to significant harm.
    And that harm could not have happened if you had not had a gun. So yes, owning a gun can hurt other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Driving through Vegas on the way to Zion... always felt these billboards were kinda cynical. There's like a dozen along I-15 advertising the thrill of "full auto".

Now they just look tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Release View Post
    If it's not mental illness what is it? It doesn't seem tied to any particular religion or cause.
    Why ask me what the motive is? I know as much as you. Nothing.

Do you think it's wise to assume things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    And that harm could not have happened if you had not had a gun. So yes, owning a gun can hurt other people.
    Then owning a car causes harm, because people steal cars and crash them into people. People get drunk, and kill families driving along the road.

You are mixing up actions. The act of owning a gun does not cause harm. What people do with those guns can cause harm. Two. Different. Things.

So you think it's sane to shoot Nearly 500 people?

If that's the case how have you ruled mental illness out as a motive?

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Yet nobody caught the warning signs, or ignored them because "Oh thats just my 'crazy' uncle" or were afraid to say something. Which is a bigger problem. What good is the mental health care system if everyone is afraid to step up.
    If mental health care was part of routine medicine, it might have been caught during a check up.

I'm 34, and I've never talked to any doctor at anytime in my life about mental health. I get routine check ups for all the major things at the usual times, and mental health care simply isn't part of the picture. My insurance doesn't even cover it, so if I wanted to receive it, I'd have to pay out of pocket.

We want people to go to the doctor for physical and mental health? Make it free and incentivize it. Everyone would go to the doctor if they got a $100 tax credit for each preventative screening. My employer does it, and the year they implemented it participation went from single digits to 99%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

I came here with quite a lot of anger after watching a few of the scenes, ready to rip anyone's gun rights to pieces. But then I reconsidered and realized... this isn't my problem. They want these things to happen, they got it. It's free choice with its ultimate consequences. As tragic as it seems to Europeans, but that's how it is.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then owning a car causes harm, because people steal cars and crash them into people. People get drunk, and kill families driving along the road.

You are mixing up actions. The act of owning a gun does not cause harm. What people do with those guns can cause harm. Two. Different. Things.
    Again with the hyperbole on cars, i have explained this to you before, cars are not designed to kill people, cars are designed to transport people. Guns are designed to kill people, guns really do not have any other purpose. And no, shooting on paper in to practice not missing a real person doesn't count.

No, im not, if you had not owned a gun, then that gun could not have been stolen and could not have harmed other people. You claim to be all about logical consistency but it really lacks the moment it doesn't suit you.

But im done here, if you people want to shoot each other, fine, but do not complain when something bad happens.

Dehumanizing isn't a hallucination. I mean... If you literally view humans as not being human, that is definitely a hallucination. Dehumanization is the act of depriving someone of positive human characteristics. Everyone does that to a certain degree. This is a symptom of tribalism that we'll never be able to shake. It's certainly not a mental illness.
    I think the word I'm looking for is a little more dramatic. Sub-human may help describe it, but usually it is characterized as dehumanizing, and yeah maybe you've never experienced it, as more civil people likely don't. I'm not talking this guy looks different than my people, so he's a threat, which obviously isn't the same as it was thousands of years ago, as it is today, we're much more civilized and intellectual than those days. I'm talking when people do that to the degree that the person's, country's, culture become expendable. It's a warped version of tribalism that exists today, and it's incited by institutions and propaganda. You don't actually see a physical non-human. It's sub-conscious.

For example people hallucinate that were separate from the environment. When according to science we very much aren't. It's a very subtle hallucination that isn't obvious at all to a lot of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The type of gun used in this attack is already illegal.
    Actually (And I rescind my previous statements, as I said the same thing last night), apparently the weapons were legally bought, and then modified.

We're looking at something like an AR-10 that has been modded for automatic fire with a 75-100 round drum magazine. The gun, and the magazine are all legal to purchase. Modding it properly just requires some skill, or knowing someone who can do it. The ACT of modding the gun is illegal, however preventing someone from doing it is nearly impossible. Preventing someone from buying such is harder. If he knows how to do it, then there you go.

We could certainly restrict people from buying things like large magazines, but again... All it really does is hurt the people who use them legally. People who use them illegally or for harm will simply do it another way.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Someone being mentally unstable and capable of planning something like this aren't mutually exclusive. The unabomber is an example of that, he clearly wasn't mentally stable but he was very intelligent and planned things out extensively.
    I know, but it's just weird that any time there's a spree shooting, people instantly assume that it's a crazy person. Normal people can do some pretty horrifying shit.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

The gun debate in America effectively died after the Sandy Hook shooting. When dead children aren't enough reason to make changes happen, nothing is.

More OT, my thoughts and condolences go out to the victims and to their families. It's almost surreal that this happened.

Deleted
    Your second amendment, hard at work.

*snippy snip*

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-10-02 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I just got called an ignorant asshole on Facebook by this delightful lad flying the confederate flag.

And I quote: "right now, the narrative is that he's a crazy liberal who converted to Islam and the attack is being claimed by ISIS. Damn, looks like I was right, on both counts.
    Enjoying being an ignorant asshole? "

This was in response to him gloating and being told to stop politicizing a tragedy. I'm guessing we have Alex Jones to thank for this golden nugget?
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Again with the hyperbole on cars, i have explained this to you before, cars are not designed to kill people, cars are designed to transport people. Guns are designed to kill people, guns really do not have any other purpose. And no, shooting on paper in to practice not missing a real person doesn't count.
    Homer Simpson used them to turn off the lights...

No, im not, if you had not owned a gun, then that gun could not have been stolen and could not have harmed other people. You claim to be all about logical consistency but it really lacks the moment it doesn't suit you.

But im done here, if you people want to shoot each other, fine, but do not complain when something bad happens.
    Does that mean we need to ban knives that aren't for kitchen use?