Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    won't actually do anything useful for you in the real world
    The body I got from lifting (and the associated dietary discipline etc) has got me a lot of very attractive and enthusiastic sex partners. I also enjoyed the process in and of itself, and think of it as an artistic pursuit to be honest. Not everyone hates working out.

I definitely get that, but my point is why bother just lifting weights and getting stronger, when you can get stronger while also learning a useful skill like martial arts for self defense?

Joining say a BJJ gym would both help you get physically stronger while also teaching you how to take down people several times your weight class should the situations ever be needed.
    In my case, I'm pretty asthmatic. I can, and regularly do, get a 2 mile run in before the edema stars to scrape up my lungs, but doing cardio heavy classes is out of the question. Turns out power lifting works pretty well though.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've benched 365 lbs. a couple of times, although that was one rep. (Had my friend spotting me those days, and he has previously benched 455 as his max) I can hit 335 a little more regularly and get about 3 good reps out, although I don't try to go for that weight most of the time, and will usually stop around 315 on most chest days that I'm going for higher weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    315 lbs. I don't have much motivation to go higher than that.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I started out at something stupid for me like 125 when I first started in march. I can do 225 relatively okay now. I've never done a one rep max. I see a lot of people load down their bar and then do like...half a rep and stuggle to rack it and then go around and say they bench 400+ lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Seems like people that do a lot of cardio tend to live longer than powerlifters. Lifting weights is pointless, if you want to be healthy just run around the neighborhood.
    It's not about living longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Joining say a BJJ gym would both help you get physically stronger while also teaching you how to take down people several times your weight class should the situations ever be needed.
    BJJ or any other martial arts are quite useless against an armed assailant...

Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    The best self defence training is sprint training.
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    And never forget to zigzag.

15+ Year Old Account
    And never forget to zigzag.
    Only in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    It also teaches discipline which means knowing when and when not to fight. No shit if someone puts a gun on you, you just give them what they want.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

highest max was 255

i did 225 5 times but almost died at one point

i think i can barely do 205 now

It's not about living longer.
    Yeah yeah it's about living healthy. And cardio is healthier.

Deleted
    Define healthier. Weight training has a lot of benefits, as has cardio. Why not do both? Besides that too much cardio, long distance running etc
    isn't that healthy either.

I can bench 110kg for reps, but I honestly very rarely do flat bench, I bench 90kg on incline and use some sort of bench machine instead of flat benching, whenever I've used flat bench for a period of time, I get shoulder issues, add the lack of a spotter and flat benching isnt very attractive imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Running breeds cowardice

Cardio is good for the heart. Weight training has other benefits. Increased testosterone production means an increase in bone density, for both men and women. It will undo the negative damage most people do to your core, hips and shoulders through a sedentary lifestyle, improving your posture which helps you walk, move, and breathe better. There's a lot more to it that you can look up for yourself, reading doesn't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Running breeds cowardice
    There's no shame at all in running from a wanker with a knife.

There's no shame at all in running from a wanker with a knife.
    Oh I agree, it's a t-shirt meme

75kg.

I don't have a spotter so I'm always slightly hesitant to go any higher. My pecs are naturally decent anyway, due to drumming.
    Back and shoulders is where it's at.

Deleted
    5kg at least.

I cap at about 115lbs.

But I typically do sets of 6 rep 55lbs..