Poll: Should loot be made scarce again?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Should loot be made scarce again?

^ title.
    scarce loot = more value on loot = feels better to get loot.

right now, there are a million ways to get purps/high ilvl. and a problem i see ppl bring up is that gear gets replaced very quickly.
    In previous expansions, the only way to get 'high end' gear was by gradually going through more difficult content. Now i can sit back and farm argunite every day and feel semi-satisfied with my character's warforges/titanforges.
    Is there simply TOO much gear in the game? (raidfinder/norm/h/myth/myth+/titanforged/warforged versions, relinquished...)

People naturally take paths which make it easier to gear, so should some of those paths be throttled?

what do u guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    If this were a decade ago, sure. But in modern times, Nope. Gear gets replaced every tier. It’s a fact of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it is throttled in a way. The better loot is in the raid and currently, we're in a catch up stage before the last raid, which brings - most likely - better loot than what can be acquired on Argus.

Though, I think maybe cut down on Titanforged/Warforged, for the BiS hunting people seem to get stressed by it, not because of value but because they can get their BiS piece BUT there is a little chance of it being better.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    ^ title.
    scarce loot = more value on loot = feels better to get loot.

right now, there are a million ways to get purps/high ilvl. and a problem i see ppl bring up is that gear gets replaced very quickly.
    In previous expansions, the only way to get 'high end' gear was by gradually going through more difficult content. Now i can sit back and farm argunite every day and feel semi-satisfied with my character's warforges/titanforges.
    Is there simply TOO much gear in the game? (raidfinder/norm/h/myth/myth+/titanforged/warforged versions, relinquished...)

People naturally take paths which make it easier to gear, so should some of those paths be throttled?

what do u guys think?
    As long as you can pay a 100x higher sub to sustain the game once most of the playerbase leaves, it should be all ayokay. There was a good reason to provide multiple ways of obtaining high ilvl loot.
    There isn't too much loot in the game. There has never been too much loot in the game and there will never be too much loot in the game.
    You could try to make such point in D3 where every GRift > 55 drops at least two orange and one green piece, but in WoW such statement is a declaration of being deluded.

Only if you want you and the other 5 guys that would be ok with it to hang around..

"There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well said sir, well said.

5+ Year Old Account
    HAHA, fair enough. i think i could have worded my ideas better... asking whether WoW should gimp the amount of loot it gives is evidently a silly way to open a discussion :s

Yes in a sense, but I think the catch up mechanics are a good way to keep everyone happy. I'd rather see titanforging to out the door or capped to 10 ilvls. I mean, ToS Mythic drops 930 loot besides KJ and I'm already 945 equipped with 3 bosses to go, which IMO is absolutely absurd.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well that would kill WoW. This isn't 2006 anymore, WoW is not the only MMO that matters where it can just go "Yup, catering to the no lifers." and everything is fine.

I'm telling you this as a Mythic raider, we have it pretty good right now. Our biggest concern is that we're not as big special snowflakes as we've been because heroic raiders get a few pieces of gear the same level as every single piece of gear that we have, and the normies and plebs occasionally win the lottery and get a decent piece or two. The best thing that ever happened to this game was when they gave casuals an endgame through LFR, because Blizzard says that justifies the resources spent on raids, and we haven't had a joke garbage tier like ToC/Firelands/Ruby Sanctum/etc since. If you actually look at Dragon Soul it was a pretty phoned in trash tier, and after LFR was such a success for them, they were able to justify the resources. Casual engagement = better raids for the rest of us.

Look at the difference in how raid content is designed since LFR justified the resources. More people able to see the content = more resources spent on designing the content. So take a look at Wrath of the Lich King, one of the favorite expansions (Though at the time it was labeled casual trash.) Naxx was a complete rehash, Maly/Sarth was just a loot cave, Ulduar despite being well received is just a bunch of shit thrown into a really huge really well designed very empty space. ToC was just a loot cave. Icecrown they put work into because it was the Arthas tier and that was a big deal. RS was a loot cave. Literally everything in Cata was just mobs thrown into empty space with no personality. Most notably Firelands. And every raid tier since has been rich backdrops, well designed (albeit sometimes buggy as fuck) encounters, professional voice acting, etc.

So while you may not like that we're not getting eyefucked hard while AFKing in cities in our leet raid gear anymore but the trade off is that we get really good raid content. So yeah I'll take real content over people oggling me because I've got gear that 98% of them will never get any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    Yes in a sense, but I think the catch up mechanics are a good way to keep everyone happy. I'd rather see titanforging to out the door or capped to 10 ilvls. I mean, ToS Mythic drops 930 loot besides KJ and I'm already 945 equipped with 3 bosses to go, which IMO is absolutely absurd.
    Nah, that would be an awful "fix." - That's just punishing 97% of the playerbase. Realistically you can expect a heroic raider to have maybe 5 pieces at most of current Mythic gear, more than that would make them an outlier. Most gear that titanforges only titanforges once, getting something that titanforges to cap or just to Mythic base is not really common. Normies might have one piece, and LFR heroes none. If anything just cap it to 5 ilevels below current tier Mythic tier and then allow Mythic gear to warforge, that would alleviate some of the strain on us Mythic raiders because most of us seem to have no self control. Really though the system is fine as is, making changes for everyone to accommodate a very tiny part of the playerbase such as us is unnecessary.
    Last edited by RoKPaNda; 2017-10-06 at 01:21 PM.

To a degree, YES. the way we can gear up now is fucking stupid. You can literally gear up to 900+ the same day you hit level 110. The Devs had turned this game in to a god damn arcade game at this point. There is absolutely no challenge in getting gear (here comes the "hur dur mythic raids" crowd). The game lost so many people because Blizztard had to turn everything in to easy mode. No one appreciated the gear they have because there is no hard work or time put into getting it.

Actually we should remove gear itself. Pretty archaic progression system.

People are crying for dozens of forum pages if their first legendary is not the BiS one, and you want to make it even harder? Won't happen, son.

I think its safe to say that taking away convinience from the players doesnt usually result in everyone feeling like the good old times are back, but in giant shitstorms instead.
    But if they ever come out with a new mmo, where they can set new "normals", I would totally be on board with more valuable and rare gear upgrades.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckypoo View Post
    To a degree, YES. the way we can gear up now is fucking stupid. You can literally gear up to 900+ the same day you hit level 110. The Devs had turned this game in to a god damn arcade game at this point. There is absolutely no challenge in getting gear (here comes the "hur dur mythic raids" crowd). The game lost so many people because Blizztard had to turn everything in to easy mode. No one appreciated the gear they have because there is no hard work or time put into getting it.
    This game has lost players for a lot of reasons, but probably very few have left because of "easy mode." - Actual raids right now are difficult and very satisfying. I know some people threaten to quit because of the casualization that doesn't affect them in the slightest but lets face it those people are so hooked they'll never leave.

And who cares that you can gear up to normal mode ilevel the day you hit cap? You've been able to do that since at least Wrath. Well in Wrath it was whatever the current tier 10m raid was, but same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    This game has lost players for a lot of reasons, but probably very few have left because of "easy mode."
    Really? How about the millions that dropped right before the launch of crapaclysm? When the talent tree was changed, Dungeon finder, raid finder, etc.... Should there be an easy mode? Sure, but it shouldn't provide rewards that so even half as good as we have now. People are so god damn lazy these days and they dont want to work for anything. It's pathetic.

- Actual raids right now are difficult and very satisfying. I know some people threaten to quit because of the casualization that doesn't affect them in the slightest but lets face it those people are so hooked they'll never leave.
    I never said raids were not difficult. However their rewards are shit when someone can afk through LFR and get better gear due to RNG circumstances.

And who cares that you can gear up to normal mode ilevel the day you hit cap? You've been able to do that since at least Wrath. Well in Wrath it was whatever the current tier 10m raid was, but same thing.
    I care about it and no, you could not hit normal raid gear levels the day you hit cap in WoLK.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    People are crying for dozens of forum pages if their first legendary is not the BiS one, and you want to make it even harder? Won't happen, son.
    It's not the same thing.

Fuck no.

I'm not even remotely interested enough in epix to have them be the be all end all-reward from content. Classic content has me snoring for a reason. It'd also mean that they'd have to tune raids around the fact that people would be going in wearing greens and blues for a loooooooooong time... So, again, fuck no. Gear is a tool to see the content I want to overcome, not the reason for why I play.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-10-06 at 01:48 PM.

Nah, that would be an awful "fix." - That's just punishing 97% of the playerbase. Realistically you can expect a heroic raider to have maybe 5 pieces at most of current Mythic gear, more than that would make them an outlier. Most gear that titanforges only titanforges once, getting something that titanforges to cap or just to Mythic base is not really common. Normies might have one piece, and LFR heroes none. If anything just cap it to 5 ilevels below current tier Mythic tier and then allow Mythic gear to warforge, that would alleviate some of the strain on us Mythic raiders because most of us seem to have no self control. Really though the system is fine as is, making changes for everyone to accommodate a very tiny part of the playerbase such as us is unnecessary.
    Feeling like you have to repeat content that is no longer relevant for you is exactly what Ion said they did not want in the dev interview yesterday. A reasonable cap on it would be just fine imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? How about the millions that dropped right before the launch of crapaclysm? When the talent tree was changed, Dungeon finder, raid finder, etc.... Should there be an easy mode? Sure, but it shouldn't provide rewards that so even half as good as we have now. People are so god damn lazy these days and they dont want to work for anything. It's pathetic.

Content Draught before Cata launched. Dungeon Finder was in before Cata(It happened during Wrath(Height of it actually so..WRONG). Raid finder happened at the end of Cata. Talent tree did need changes, it was still kinda dumb pre Cata.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi