Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    Deleted

So... i belive another Stat squish is 100% mandatory next expansion

I see no one talking about this. I don't know if it's because people take it as a given or because they don't care having 1 billion dps on screen.

I personally think we are already in Legion WAYYYY past the mark of what is an "acceptable and humanly pleasing number" on screen.
    I really cannot identify myself or even udnerstand how much i'm doing when yo see 1 Milion damage or healing.

SO i hope the next item squish comes fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree. And with the technology they have in place, doing old content should not be an issue. It seems it might be necessary to do a stat squish after every expansion to keep the numbers seem acceptable.

The problem isn't that it just a "number", some people don't get it and are going to say "omg, it's just a few numbers moar!". Well... it isn't.
    Back then, when the numbers weren't so high the scaling was done much better. Higher the numbers - harder to balance. Right now the difference between BIS and LFR gear is for sure higher in % than it was in MoP.

For example(just example with imaginary numbers to explain my argument):
    MoP LFR - 50k DPS, MoP Mythic - 75k DPS (half times higher)
    WoD LFR - 100k DPS, WoD Mythic - 200k DPS (two times higher)
    Legion LFR - 400k DPS, Legion Mythic - 1200k DPS (three times higher)

The gear isn't getting better linear, but geometrical. If they don't do anything with it or won't make Stat squish, we're going to have MUCH higher differences between LFR and Mythic players(the range of DPS differences are going to be much wider that they're right now).

I had a post about it but can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    But it is just a number in a context which means it's all relative to the numbers on display.
    Not really, see above. I thought the same.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2017-10-09 at 10:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    just curious, what would be your opinion on having a power reset every expansion ? let's say avg dps cycle from 1500 to 9400 at the end of an expansion, then it goes back to 1500 on new expansion with "thougher" npcs. high end pve gear would do more damage at the start obivously. as for old raid the dmg is capped inside it, and each expansion adds like +30% dmg, indefinitely (or call of the devs)

that way wow could always be about the same kinds of number that the players prefer (they seem to prefer in majority either tbc or wotlk number scales)
    Last edited by Cæli; 2017-10-09 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    The problem isn't that it just a "number"(some people don't get it).
    But it is just a number in a context which means it's all relative to the numbers on display.

Though I see no issue with them just giving dps/healing values the health bar treatment (k for 1000, M for 1,000,000, B for 1,000,000,000)

I'd love for them to go back to TBC or WOTLK numbers.
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

15+ Year Old Account
    I miss the days of more manageble numbers. I would much rather have damage being in the hundreds with the big hits dealing 1k+, than the millions upon millions we're seeing now.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think a squish has been mostly confirmed by now. It's only logical. No worries, it'll be in next expansion.

I just wonder how much the lower levels can still be compressed...
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

The original Stat Squish was purely because it was less effort to change every spell, item and NPC in the game, than it was to change the code to allow 64-bit numbers for Health bars.

We now have that last option, so the odds of another squish are slim.

Yes, it means we'll see things like 33,000M HP, and 20M DPS. I'm sure we'll cope, even if it's through addons that just reduce what's displayed and hide trivial amounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    First squish was not needed... A second one is even less called for..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

5+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure squishes only happened because of the integer limit and some system changes - see Garrosh healing multiple times because he broke the limit.

We now have HP stored in a different data type so it's k. I doubt a squish will happen though I'd love to see one.

Look what the maximum of an 32-bit Integer is, look at Ra-den's old maximum HP in 25-man heroic, look at his ability which increases hix max HP aswell as what happened when hix max HP exceeded the maximum value of an 32-bit Integer. They needed time to change it. This was more likely to be the real reason for the squish, not that thing they mentioned to be. Numbers can be shortened, it doesn't really matter if it's 1b dps oder 1m dps.
    Also look at the machanics of SOO bosses. Damage reduction, Bosses heal themselves multiple times, several Bosses instead of one.

Since they finally changed the HP value to an 64-bit Integer another squish isn't needed for more than 10 years, if the rate at which the HP raises stay the same.
    Stats squishes do more damage than they bring benefits, as long as no bugs make them neccessary.

I'm sure at some point before WOD they said a second stat squish would happen on the expansion after Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by dejec1989 View Post
    I'm sure at some point before WOD they said a second stat squish would happen on the expansion after Legion.
    Yeah i remember them saying something like that too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Yes, it means we'll see things like 33,000M HP, and 20M DPS. I'm sure we'll cope, even if it's through addons that just reduce what's displayed and hide trivial amounts.
    why no one had this idea ? an add on that divides numbers by 1000, 2975112 becomes 2975, 2084963 dps becomes 2084.96 dps, that's brilliant

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    just curious, what would be your opinion on having a power reset every expansion ? let's say avg dps cycle from 1500 to 9400 at the end of an expansion, then it goes back to 1500 on new expansion with "thougher" npcs. high end pve gear would do more damage at the start obivously. as for old raid the dmg is capped inside it, and each expansion adds like +30% dmg, indefinitely (or call of the devs)

that way wow could always be about the same kinds of number that the players prefer (they seem to prefer in majority either tbc or wotlk number scales)
    If it was for me i would do one every expansion. I would have already done this in Legion. I am really not a fan of huge numbers on screen, makes eveyrthing look retarded and also quite pointless. I mean what kind of game allows you to do 1 million damage, 5 million damge and so on.

And i thought the good old 9999 damage from Final Fantasy was high lol.

In a Wow context i'd say that around 100.000 is the max an ability should hit

I believe a stat squish has already been confirmed by Ion himself during a past Q&A. When he was asked about a possible stat squish he said something along of the lines of "another stat reduction is inevitable". I can't recall what Q&A it was, it may have been the one with the Fatboss guys at Gamescom.

Aside from that, I wouldn't mind another stat squish, it just feels like I'm playing diablo again when you get so powerful that everything just hits for X million damage. Just a personal thing though.

I think they just need to NOT bump the itemlevel from expac start to end so ludicrously. WoD ended at 680-700 gear being easy to get. Now? Fucking 910+ is easy to get. Frankly, Mythic Antorus is going to be what... close to 1000? Dafuq did we need a 300 itemlevel boost for? Should have been 10 itemlevels per raid tier.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    hated the squish the first time, but that was done due to technical difficulties. Also they did it in a very inelegant way(old raid)

now such difficulties don't exist, so I hope there won't be a new squish.

Instead of exponential power growth we should have linear one. Then differences wouldn't be so drastic. Tech allows big numbers (and seeing them is somewhat nice) but it doesn't mean that as we can handle billions we should do it. And stat squish should be made across the board, from lvl 1 to (expected) 120 in future expansion. Tech can handle it but right now I can't tell if I hit for 1.20M or 120k - can't count all those digits on the go. A nuance but it shows how unrealistic those numbers became.