Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    No worries; those things, along with the hunt logs = upgrades, always get people in my FC mixed up on what is needed to upgrade what.

I'd still say putting in the time for O3S is harder than a weekly clear of O4 normal + running ex roulette 10ish times over those 7 weeks. Then again, correct me if I'm wrong, but the late model tomestone or whatever it is (that you exchange with the 10 creation tokens that cost 1k creation tomes) drops from O2S, no?
    Yeah, it hits the floor a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Well, I just finished the new raid. I enjoyed it - not only because of the wonderful references but because it ties in nicely with FFXIV's setting and each of the boss fights are engaging. I really like that if too many people mess up then a wipe is inevitable. It forces people to learn to pay more attention instead of just putting in the minimal amount of effort.
    Yeah they did a good job with most of the bosses. I have to give credit where credit is due. I like that telegraphs are less prominent than they have been in the past. I just wish I wasn't almost top DPS every 24 man boss though , as a tank. I've been pretty lucky lately because I've only being doing content with higher end players recently, so this was my first foray into content with these players and man it was ugly (haven't done the new dungeon yet or a roulette in months).

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Wait so WASD have no input on the movement? Instead it's number keys?

I actually hate the mechanic. Apparently people are saying just stutter then sprint to the safe zone when it's up.
    The way it works is whenever you press a movement key (WASD) whatever direction the arrow faces you move. That's why you stutter step to force the arrow to move slowly and then once you get the correct direction, you just hold the key and then pop sprint and boom safe. It took me a solid second to realize what the shit was going on. I was like O_o what the fuck oh ok I get it, how do I control it, then oh ok I see. oh shit I better pop sprint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Damn, maybe that's been the solution this whole time....

Personal housing should have been instanced. Party members can enter the instance with the party leader.

Only FC houses should have remained the current ward system.
    Houses for FC, and apartments for individuals, has been my long term stance on the matter.

They could even expand on apartments, let you spend large amount of gil to upgrade them, start as a "cozy" studio. Upgrade it enough and it's a luxury penthouse with a outdoor swimming pool overlooking the city.... with plots for gardening on the side of the pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    Houses for FC, and apartments for individuals, has been my long term stance on the matter.

They could even expand on apartments, let you spend large amount of gil to upgrade them, start as a "cozy" studio. Upgrade it enough and it's a luxury penthouse with a outdoor swimming pool overlooking the city.... with plots for gardening on the side of the pool.
    And why should an individual only have access to a lesser version of housing? Which is what apartments are.

What makes an FC more deserving of a house? Because half the time only the high ups or Master designs the damn house.

Housing should never ever be FC only. It should be 1 house per account and 1 house only. There should be no restrictions because you are in an FC or not. Not everyone wants to be in an FC so why should they be punished housing wise?

And even if it was FC only you'd still have people just making an FC purely to buy a house.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-13 at 03:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And why should an individual only have access to a lesser version of housing? Which is what apartments are.

What makes an FC more deserving of a house? Because half the time only the high ups or Master designs the damn house.

You act like apartments can't be improved upon, however I believe you're talking about what things currently are rather than what they can be.

In the current form you're absolutely correct, but also in the current form there how can you even argue that an individual has the right to take away a Company Forge, and a company airship away from a group.

I will be clear on this, I do personally do not care about the design aspects of housing in FF14. Though I do understand that the vanity has it's place, and means a lot to other people. (My own wife is heavily looking forward to the design aspect)
    I AM the victim.

You act like apartments can't be improved upon, however I believe you're talking about what things currently are rather than what they can be.

In the current form you're absolutely correct, but also in the current form there how can you even argue that an individual has the right to take away a Company Forge, and a company airship away from a group.

I will be clear on this, I do personally do not care about the design aspects of housing in FF14. Though I do understand that the vanity has it's place, and means a lot to other people. (My own wife is heavily looking forward to the design aspect)
    And why does an FC have the right to take away housing from someone?

Housing is there for all as it should be other than the stupid system of being able to buy multiple houses on 1 account.

You are entitled to that opinion but well both I and the devs seem to disagree with you on that one otherwise the housing would have remained restricted to FCs. Which it was for at least 2 and a half major patches since personal was a mini patch during 2.3.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-13 at 03:13 PM.

Housing should never ever be FC only. It should be 1 house per account and 1 house only. There should be no restrictions because you are in an FC or not. Not everyone wants to be in an FC so why should they be punished housing wise?

And even if it was FC only you'd still have people just making an FC purely to buy a house.
    Apartments would work fine for as personal housing if they had at least double the amount of floor space/area they currently have and allow access to a garden (ie have it out on a balcony or such). That does exclude exterior decorating, though...

I won't go so far as to say that individual/private housing should be apartments, but I will say that I would not shed a tear if individual houses were limited to small houses only, leaving medium and large houses for FCs. Personally, I'm baffled as to why it wasn't like that to begin with, especially considering how few of those houses there are.

Apartments would work fine for as personal housing if they had at least double the amount of floor space/area they currently have and allow access to a garden (ie have it out on a balcony or such). That does exclude exterior decorating, though...

I won't go so far as to say that individual/private housing should be apartments, but I will say that I would not shed a tear if individual houses were limited to small houses only, leaving medium and large houses for FCs. Personally, I'm baffled as to why it wasn't like that to begin with, especially considering how few of those houses there are.
    It was. Housing was initially FC housing only. Until 2.38. So clearly the devs wanted to open up housing to everyone.

And what does it matter if an FC gets a large house or small? They still get access to the airships and whatnot.

And to be honest is there any major ingame power benefit to owning an airship or is it just fluff like Retainers?
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-13 at 03:20 PM.

Finished the 24 man last night. Wiped 3 times on second boss because dodging massive falling pillars is hard. I can't say much; on our actual clear of that boss, I managed to die to the fiery wing shit due to being on the edge of the arena...even with sprint up, I wasn't able to get out of there in time.

Wiped twice on third boss due to another alliance having shit tier dps. Sent 1 dps over from each of the other two and made it through no problem.

Managed to one shot the last boss, but that whole command thing he does made no sense whatsoever. "Scatter"...ok, so I start running around and away from people. Didn't get hurt. "Ok, that makes sense". Worked the second time I got that debuff. Third and fourth? Got nailed for half my damage. I did note the boss will apply some "Face of Lies" buff, so I figure the whole thing is a convoluted way of playing Simon Says. Probably look up a video or something, unless someone here can explain it in detail. In my defense, it was after 2 AM my time when we completed it, so maybe being partially asleep didn't help.

The hand thing that fucks with your movement is annoying, but knowing it's there now and how to deal with it (spam W/forward until you start going where you need to, basically) makes it manageable.

Pretty cool area/place, and it's rather interesting to see that we're essentially having a spiritual successor to Tactics' story within this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was. Housing was initially FC housing only. Until 2.38. So clearly the devs wanted to open up housing to everyone.

And what does it matter if an FC gets a large house or small? They still get access to the airships and whatnot.

And to be honest is there any major ingame power benefit to owning an airship or is it just fluff like Retainers?
    So because the devs felt it was the right direction to go, it was the best choice?

Obviously they're not going to roll out and take personal houses away from each individual, with how delicate this situation already is. I was merely suggesting what could have been, because at this point there is no good solution other than providing way more plots than square is willing to.

I am suggesting at 2.38, they could have introduced other forms of personal homes that did not put FC housing and personal housing at odds.
    I AM the victim.

So because the devs felt it was the right direction to go, it was the best choice?

Obviously they're not going to roll out and take personal houses away from each individual, with how delicate this situation already is. I was merely suggesting what could have been, because at this point there is no good solution other than providing way more plots than square is willing to.

I am suggesting at 2.38, they could have introduced other forms of personal homes that did not put FC housing and personal housing at odds.
    And what system could they have introduced other than more wards?

If we are to believe the technical limitations then doing what Rift and Wildstar do is out of the question.

Only real solution is to make apartments cost a bit more and in return be the same size as a small house rather than an FC room. Upgrading them as you suggested is a decent idea but the upgrade size should make it equal to 2 small rooms at least.

There are mats for various items (namely housing stuff, from what I recall) that can only be obtained via airship voyages. They're basically retainers on steroids, but they aren't necessary in terms of power benefit (unless you derive power from dominating the MB ).

I only started dabbling with airships a few weeks before HW ended, then with my FC moving servers, we haven't even paid the fee to open a workshop again...that's how useful they've been to us.

There are mats for various items (namely housing stuff, from what I recall) that can only be obtained via airship voyages. They're basically retainers on steroids, but they aren't necessary in terms of power benefit (unless you derive power from dominating the MB ).

I only started dabbling with airships a few weeks before HW ended, then with my FC moving servers, we haven't even paid the fee to open a workshop again...that's how useful they've been to us.
    So my point stands. The bonuses provided to an FC are fluff.

Not a reason as to why an FC deserves it more. In fact nobody bloody deserves a house more than anyone and it was moronic of me to even insinuate it.

Housing right now as it stands is too chaotic. There are too many variables. Server issues and limited wards being the huge factor.

Right now we have 2880 houses per server. That's just not enough for servers like Cerberus, Gilgamesh, Tonberry, Hyperion, Odin or other big servers. Hell even low pops are supposedly starting to feel the brunt of it.

If we are to believe the technical limitations then doing what Rift and Wildstar do is out of the question.

Only real solution is to make apartments cost a bit more and in return be the same size as a small house rather than an FC room. Upgrading them as you suggested is a decent idea but the upgrade size should make it equal to 2 small rooms at least.
    Honestly, the system Ralqadar is what they could have introduced.

Free Companies get houses with wards.

Individuals get apartments. Apartments could have been designed with studio, townhome, and penthouse styles. Balconies would take the place of the front yard. The only difference between small/medium/large house vs studio/town home/penthouse style apartment would then be the ward neighborhood vs the instanced house.

No real change in the features offered and the instance method wouldn't require entire wards to be added and added and added. Not entirely sure this would alleviate the cost and stress on the Square's side, but it is an idea I could have seen working.

But then, likewise, they could have done instanced housing for personal housing and neighborhoods for wards, etc.

So my point stands. The bonuses provided to an FC are fluff.

Not a reason as to why an FC deserves it more. In fact nobody bloody deserves a house more than anyone and it was moronic of me to even insinuate it.

Housing right now as it stands is too chaotic. There are too many variables. Server issues and limited wards being the huge factor.

Right now we have 2880 houses per server. That's just not enough for servers like Cerberus, Gilgamesh, Tonberry, Hyperion, Odin or other big servers. Hell even low pops are supposedly starting to feel the brunt of it.
    The concept that they want(ed) to promote, that of neighborhoods, is fairly sound on paper. The current implementation, though...well, need I say more?

More wards is simply a band-aid on a gushing wound at this point...although it could work if they worked with dynamic amounts of wards based on server population. Zalera, which still has at least a couple dozen small houses available now in the old districts, won't need near as many as, say, Balmung. One drawback to that is it could feasibly lend itself to not getting people to transfer off of those overpopulated servers. Furthermore, with the surge of people across just about all servers since SB, most all servers have had all their current housing gobbled up anyhow, so even transferring won't guarantee getting a house.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, the system Ralqadar is what they could have introduced.

Free Companies get houses with wards.

Individuals get apartments. Apartments could have been designed with studio, townhome, and penthouse styles. Balconies would take the place of the front yard. The only difference between small/medium/large house vs studio/town home/penthouse style apartment would then be the ward neighborhood vs the instanced house.

No real change in the features offered and the instance method wouldn't require entire wards to be added and added and added. Not entirely sure this would alleviate the cost and stress on the Square's side, but it is an idea I could have seen working.

But then, likewise, they could have done instanced housing for personal housing and neighborhoods for wards, etc.
    If they could wind back the clock to 4 years ago, I'm certain this is the route they would've taken, especially if they knew then what we know now. But to attempt to do that now would be trying to close Pandora's Box.

So far I'm pleased to see the Kojin dailies are more tightly constructed than those of HW. Not near as much pointless interaction involved.

The concept that they want(ed) to promote, that of neighborhoods, is fairly sound on paper. The current implementation, though...well, need I say more?

More wards is simply a band-aid on a gushing wound at this point...although it could work if they worked with dynamic amounts of wards based on server population. Zalera, which still has at least a couple dozen small houses available now in the old districts, won't need near as many as, say, Balmung. One drawback to that is it could feasibly lend itself to not getting people to transfer off of those overpopulated servers. Furthermore, with the surge of people across just about all servers since SB, most all servers have had all their current housing gobbled up anyhow, so even transferring won't guarantee getting a house.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

- - - Updated - - -

If they could wind back the clock to 4 years ago, I'm certain this is the route they would've taken, especially if they knew then what we know now. But to attempt to do that now would be trying to close Pandora's Box.
    Maybe, maybe not. If they could offer the apartment instanced option, with current apt owners able to upgrade to the new plans, it might go a long way to alleviating the need for more wards. They could still add more wards eventually, but I'd wager just having the housing floor plan in an apartment would be enough for a LOT of players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    So far I'm pleased to see the Kojin dailies are more tightly constructed than those of HW. Not near as much pointless interaction involved.
    We weren't dancing as much for the Vanu Vanu until later. Don't jinx yourself!

We weren't dancing as much for the Vanu Vanu until later. Don't jinx yourself!
    We have an emote-required one, but it doesn't involve skipping a fucking cutscene every. single. time. like the HW ones did. Same with the ray-riding quests. There's a quick 'you blah blee bloo' thing that pops up, but that's far more tolerable than 'skip this cutscene' or 'endure this fucking animation from the NPC before being able to skip their dialogue' IMO.

Maybe, maybe not. If they could offer the apartment instanced option, with current apt owners able to upgrade to the new plans, it might go a long way to alleviating the need for more wards. They could still add more wards eventually, but I'd wager just having the housing floor plan in an apartment would be enough for a LOT of players.
    Garden also; that's the #1 reason I wanted to go from an apartment to a house. Not even for making gil, but mainly to produce the onions for leveling up chocobos past rank 10. Course, mine is rank 20 now, but I still put the garden to use for either krakka roots (for FC) or the shard plants (800 shards per day, yes plz).

10+ Year Old Account

In absolutely 20/20 hindsight?

In 2.38, I would have personally expanded more on the personal rooms added in 2.3 leading up to apartments release.(I know 3.4 was the official apartment release patch. In this hypothetical situation the patch content was added in is sorta moot.) Then expanded on apartments in the way I said earlier.

In the ideal world where there is no technical limitations (or what ever the reason is.) instead of ever introducing apartments, Personal housing should have been as @Faroth suggested self contained.

The whole housing issue at this point is really damage control more than anything. Maybe the entire system since it's introduction at 2.1 was flawed and doomed to walk this path, I truthfully can't fully blame SE for the mistakes they made. They have said several times they're surprised FF14 has not peaked yet, that the number of active subscriptions keeps growing. So really, at this point I'm only offering reflection on what could have been since moving forward they really only have one option that would make all the players happy.

The thing is, reflections like this are probably happening right now in parts of the FF14 team. It's how they move forward and learn from these mistakes is what I'm waiting more than anything..... IB4 expansion four is FF14 a house reborn.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2017-10-13 at 05:15 PM.
    I AM the victim.

Which 5 should I take as a Scholar would you say?

Just can't take Esuna because I need Eye for an Eye.
    I generally swap out Protect once I've cast it to get Eye for an Eye squeezed in. The buff remains even without it as an active skill. The only "must haves" are Swiftcast and Lucid Dreaming, everything else has either marginal utility or none at all.

I generally also skip Largesse too - Only Physick, Adlo and Succor are affected by it, where I lean more on Lustrate as my primary heal.

The 5 I generally go with are, Swiftcast, Lucid Dreaming, Protect/Eye for an Eye, Esuna and Rescue. Although if Rescue is unnessacary, I'll swap it out for Cleric Stance usually. As much as the new Cleric Stance sucks, it's at least something that's better than a skill you'll never have a reason to use. Esuna, likewise, I swap out if and when it's not required.