Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Israeli Judo team barred from displaying nationality

I know it's a small thing and I don't want to turn this into an overly political post since I'm not a political person, but this really grinds my gear and I'm honestly quite ashamed. It's humiliating.

TLDR:

The biggest Judo competition in the world is happening right now in Abu Dhabi, the organizers decided that competitors from Israel will not be allowed to display their flag, and if they win, the national anthem of Israel will not be played.
    The World Judo body called on UAE to treat Israeli athletes equally.
    That didn't happen.

turns out that Israel did win gold and bronze medals. The anthem of the Judo federation was played instead.

Regardless of where you stand on the Israel debate...this is demeaning and does not fit that spirit of competition and sportsmanship at all.
    IMO UAE should have been banned from hosting the competition, this entire thing should have been cancelled and moved to another country that respects the laws of the Judo federation and decent human behavior.

I'm really ashamed of my country (Israel) that we allowed this to happen and still participated in this event, and so do many people I know. The public opinion in Israel of this entire event, and the winners even, is that of deep shame.

Dick move guys.

They did exactly what they should have. Win. That sends the most powerful message.
    Last edited by ohiostate124; 2017-10-26 at 08:22 PM.

Good. Israel is illegal anyway. The correct nationality is Palestinian.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-10-27 at 03:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying its right, but I can't help but feel its kind of karma...

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    And that is your opinion. But the international Judo organization, as well as the UN does recognize Israel as a country. By agreeing to host the competition, UAE agreed to abide by the rules and regulations of the judo organization. "Opinion" does not weigh into this, at all.

This is a shitty thing to do, and if the judo federation had any scruples, they would have cancelled the competition, or would never old another one in the country.

Deleted
    Israel should have boycotted the competition imo. The judo federation should not allow the competition to be held in such places.

Spiteful fuckers ain't they?

Good on Dubai for boycotting the terrorist state of Israel.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-10-27 at 03:08 AM.

Deleted
    Bomb them from fighters with insignia of the International Judo federation. Nothing of value would be lost.

That's pretty antisemitic.

palestine never existed. but if it helps you sleep at night you are free to believe whatever you wish
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by Naxalia View Post
    Not surprising, considering who and what Elba is.

Some of you are missing the point I wanted to convey.

It does not matter if Israel is legal, illegal, you like them, you dislike them, whatever.

what the hell happened to sportmanship? to fair conduct? these things used to be above politics. Can we just treat any country that we don't like however we want in international competitions?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    And that is your opinion. But the international Judo organization, as well as the UN does recognize Israel as a country. By agreeing to host the competition, UAE agreed to abide by the rules and regulations of the judo organization. "Opinion" does not weigh into this, at all.
    the bolded part is meaningless if UAE never recognized Israel; they are not obliged to do so. but as a hosting country they are of course bound by the rules of Judo organization. just to clear up some fog

Not sure why these International Sports organizations give events to countries that aren't with Modern times... Like Qatar Hosting the 2022 world cup. Rumor is slaves are building the stadiums...

I mean, pretty sure only people with a legit claim to israel these days (outside of actual israel) is Turkey, as it was apart of the ottoman empire until ww1.

The empire was broken up and distributed, Britain got the area of Palestine, who entered into legal agreements with jewish leaders to form the country of Israel.

Israel is 100% legal, at least according to how the U.N. and international laws are set up

Quote Originally Posted by Takrasi View Post
    If Israel denies the existence of Palestine, it's fair for the Arabs to deny the existence of Israel.
    You can be damn sure if Israel ever hosts a competition whos official organizer recgonizes "Azeroth" as a country, the anthem would be played and Azeroth flags would be shown.

And that is your opinion. But the international Judo organization, as well as the UN does recognize Israel as a country.
    They shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxalia View Post
    Israel does not equal Jew.

Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    palestine never existed. but if it helps you sleep at night you are free to believe whatever you wish
    Palestine has existed for over 2000 years.