Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yeah, for me MSB was way more hype than Blizzcon which definitely feels wrong. Hopefully they'll change a few things up for next year.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I don't see how they have a lot of control over it. The best teams are the best teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I don't see how they have a lot of control over it. The best teams are the best teams.
    The format. But they have less time available in Blizzcon so it´s a bit of a weird spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    The format. But they have less time available in Blizzcon so it´s a bit of a weird spot.
    Would it change a lot if quarterfinals also were Bo3?

Single elimination BO3 for the quarters is too punishing imo, I also preferred the round robin style of the MSB so that every game mattered and all teams played each other. Time constraints of Blizzcon make this a challenge, but I think doing something like only hosting the quarters outside of Blizzcon like the group stage would help.
    I am the lucid dream

Would it change a lot if quarterfinals also were Bo3?
    I don´t think BO3 was the problem. The bigger problem for me was the group stage. Terribly bland for the most part. Also the lack of double elimination brackets means you see teams like Dignitas and Ballistix go out at their very first loss, while in the MSB the lower bracket gave a lot of value to the tournament.

Again though, limited time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Single elimination BO3 for the quarters is too punishing imo, I also preferred the round robin style of the MSB so that every game mattered and all teams played each other. Time constraints of Blizzcon make this a challenge, but I think doing something like only hosting the quarters outside of Blizzcon like the group stage would help.
    I don´t think BO3 was the problem. The bigger problem for me was the group stage. Terribly bland for the most part. Also the lack of double elimination brackets means you see teams like Dignitas and Ballistix go out at their very first loss, while in the MSB the lower bracket gave a lot of value to the tournament.

Again though, limited time.
    Mkay. I'm not big on esports, I only really watch them occasionally at at Blizzcon, so the overall tournament doesn't concern me too much, but I guess I can see it.

Mkay. I'm not big on esports, I only really watch them occasionally at at Blizzcon, so the overall tournament doesn't concern me too much, but I guess I can see it.
    Just as an indication, these are matches we saw in the MSB:

Fnatic vs MVP Black (groups)
    Dignitas vs L5 (groups + tiebreaker)
    Dignitas vs MVP Black (winner bracket semis)
    MVP Black vs L5 (loser bracket semis)
    Fnatic vs Dignitas (winner bracket finals)
    Dignitas vs L5 (loser bracket finals)
    Fnatic vs Dignitas (grand finals)

With the loser/winner bracket series being Bo5 and the grand finals Bo7.

... I really don't have confidence for Fnatic's draft here.
    I am the lucid dream

Outside Cursed Hollow they didn´t have a single proper draft to be honest. BoE was ok-ish I guess but they got almost no value out of Medivh and got massively outplayed.

Johanna is a real pain.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you're thinking with portals.

Well deserved really. Surely they didn´t meet the biggest opponents, but they bodied everybody in their way only losing 1 game due to a weird strategy they opted into.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fnatic really threw the Final with their weird draft experiments, should have gone the same route as they went against ballistix

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the whole tournament format will leave a bad taste in my mouth, Mid Season Brawl will be the default World Championship to get with how they format Blizzcon.
    Last edited by apepi; 2017-11-05 at 12:24 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Sezerek View Post
    Fnatic really threw the Final with their weird draft experiments, should have gone the same route as they went against ballistix
    Honestly, their draft on BoE was pretty standard for the most part and they just got bodied.

Yeah, deserved win. Great year though, HGC has been a crazy ride. See you all next year?
    I am the lucid dream

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, their draft on BoE was pretty standard for the most part and they just got bodied.
    Yeah, but this guldan stuff and wannabe dig cheese was just horrible.
    Heck on Infernal Shrines they got their ass beaten by a comp that actually was their trademark the whole time (global bois).

10+ Year Old Account
    Well deserved win for MVP Black, they lost only one map in entire tournament. Very dominant performance.

My biggest takeaway, is Black really evolved. Before they always choked because they failed to make adjustments in middle of games. In series against Fnatic they made every mistake just once, sometimes it felt like testing what they can get away with. A completely different beast in comparison to their last year performance where they were banging their heads on the wall to break it, allowing Fnatic to punish them over and over again.

Man, I fear for EU teams now. Fnatic will grow even more from this experience, the fire will be reignited.

Yeah, but this guldan stuff and wannabe dig cheese was just horrible.
    Heck on Infernal Shrines they got their ass beaten by a comp that actually was their trademark the whole time (global bois).
    Fnatic and Black were scrim partners as the only chance of both teams meeting was in Grand Finals.

That means they revealed their tricks to each other. I think drafts looked weird as they were results of mind games between the two, attempts to counter strategies they played in practice games. In the end, it seems like Black was just slightly more flexible.

Now, now, calm down Wolf:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FitRelatedYamTBTacoLeft

- - - Updated - - -

Prismaticism is a free agent apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fnatic mentioned in the interview beforehand that they couldn't use the same tactic against them because they had been working on strategies together to get to that point so the opponent knew all their tactics.

The only way they were going to meet was in the final and they were forced to do something different.