Poll: Dash Cam. What’s your position on them?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dash Cam: Video and driving.

Dash Cameras what’s your opinion on having one?

Do you have one and has it worked out for you?

I personally like the idea although I’m curious how privacy laws are going to play in if more private citizens use them. Could it eventually become like Facebook and will insurance companies start offering the cheapest discounts only if you sign access away?

Also if you get in a accident and it’s your fault what if you destroy the evidence?

Lots of questions I think are going to be introduced as people go even more online.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-11-05 at 02:37 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Yeah I have one as I drive a lot for work. Insurance goes down, so no reason not to.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Yeah I have one as I drive a lot for work. Insurance goes down, so no reason not to.
    Could that backfire?

I mean some could have GPS and eventually coordinate with traffic Cameras and signal, how much of a saint driving is anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have one, there's no insurance benefit of having one here either. I find the idea of having one to be good if you're in the areas of questionable drivers - like bigger cities.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Could that backfire?

I mean some could have GPS and eventually coordinate with traffic Cameras and signal, how much of a saint driving is anyone?
    If it improves your driving with that paranoia, then as far as I'm concerned that's just another plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Could that backfire?

Nope, I have one of the cheaper ones that just records. I store the information locally, and will only upload if I ever have an incident. I can turn it off whenever I want.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I don't have one, there's no insurance benefit either. I find the idea of having one to be good if you're in the areas of questionable drivers - like bigger cities.
    Yeah everyone watching everyone watching everyone. What kinds of things can be done to the footage? Edited when and where could this be a tool for harassment even stalking?

As I said I can see this backfiring and being a must. Oddly enough I remember here in Minnesota where they started ordinances they can ticket you for having fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view because of concerns it could obstruct the drivers view. Many cars might have this built in going forward but the strange thing to me is seeing older cars with this and gps all over.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, I have one of the cheaper ones that just records. I store the information locally, and will only upload if I ever have an incident. I can turn it off whenever I want.
    What if you can’t or like home owners insurance they rate it and your rates go back up if it’s not up to par.

What if you can’t or like home owners insurance they rate it and your rates go back up if it’s not up to par.
    Not a problem now, so why worry about it?
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a problem now, so why worry about it?
    For sight, looking before one leaps. Critically thinking!

Deleted
    Yes, I have one. Yes, it has helped me. Once when some dumbass drove out right in font of me, once in an attempted insurance scam. And yes, I am a saint when I'm driving in public. And yes, my insurance is cheaper because of it. So why wouldn't I have one?

Most dash cams aren't online. Nothing to do with privacy, you're filming in public space from your own private property.
    If you destroy the evidence, it's no longer there. Sucks.

They are not legal (atleast here). Videos created with them cant be used anyway since its illegal to record in the first place. Waste of money. But they provide us with funny tv shows so I like them.

Deleted
    After seeing several accidents I've decided to buy one last year. Nothing interesting happened since then, but its always on when I'm driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Videos created with them cant be used anyway since its illegal to record in the first place. Waste of money. But they provide us with funny tv shows so I like them.
    What kind of nonsense is that? It is legal to record. It can be used as evidence and is used often.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    After seeing several accidents I've decided to buy one last year. Nothing interesting happened since then, but its always on when I'm driving.

What kind of nonsense is that? It is legal to record. It can be used as evidence and is used often.
    Depends on your countries laws. Illegal acquired evidence cant be used.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2017-11-05 at 05:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 2: front https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOFO-A119-.../dp/B01IM2EPQW
    back https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobius-Acti.../dp/B00GT2B4R6

Yes, it helped me and few random people that my cameras were able to record their accidents.

Also if you get in a accident and it’s your fault what if you destroy the evidence?
    Unless you live in a country that has mandatory dash cams you can use the footage at your discretion.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I can't imagine why you'd be against it unless you don't want to be caught being a fucktard.

I'd probably get one if I had lots of money to throw around for silly things. It's an optional interesting thing that I don't really see any incredible need to have, personally.

After two hit and runs, and a woman who backed into my car (then lied and said I hit her), I do want to get a dashcam to save myself more problems.

Thank God I had witnesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have one. Its basically a tablet optimized for hands free driving. I barely use it but it works.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    After two hit and runs, and a woman who backed into my car (then lied and said I hit her), I do want to get a dashcam to save myself more problems.

Thank God I had witnesses.
    This has also made me more interested in getting one, saw an article in the newspaper a while back about increasing amounts of scams involving other cars and even pedestrians hitting the front of your car.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    They are not legal (atleast here). Videos created with them cant be used anyway since its illegal to record in the first place. Waste of money. But they provide us with funny tv shows so I like them.
    They aren't illegal, but it is very specific what you're allowed to film, so their usefulness is nearly zero.

https://www.adac.de/der-adac/rechtsb...nland/dashcam/