Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

I'm unable to shake the idea that it'd be great to have spec balancing in Classic

This is for Classic fans really, just want your opinion.

I know this is sacrilege, but I think it would be really, really cool if they balanced ret and balanced other specs to be viable without changing anything else. Just tweaked some numbers, have abilities do a bit more damage.

This would breathe new life into Classic WoW since everybody wouldn't just be running the popular specs. We would approach raid bosses with new compositions, like Shadow Priests and Retadins, and experience them differently than we ever did before. Same content, fresh experience. And this wouldn't encroach on the core of why Vanilla is so appealing: The immersion, the effort it takes to accomplish tasks (and are therefore more rewarding), the social aspect that requires interacting with people on your server to overcome challenges. All it would do is open up new possibilities that we never got to experience.

At the very least, we could have "Classic remixed" alongside "Classic"

What do you think?

Deleted
    I mean I don't wanna play if rogues go around wouth no gear and grey daggers killing everybody again :S

Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    What do you think?
    seriously doubt it, specs will be as they were, if you want to raid you have one spec you can be and bring, and that's it

That’s asking for way too much. First it was “classic!!!” Now it’s “oh, classic isn’t good enough we want classic remastered too!!” This opinion is coming from a buffbot main (aka Paladin).

No. We get the original classic and that’s it. Why is it now that we’re getting classic all of the sudden it’s not good enough?

As I’ve said in other threads I’m playing both. I love both classic and retail, both have ups and downs. So as much as time allows me to I’ll be playing retail as well as vanilla wow probably during down times. I’m saying this because you asked for classic fans. I’m a WoW fan in general whether it’s classic or retail, only time I didn’t enjoy myself was obviously WoD.

Would I like ret and prot to be viable in vanilla? Yes. However we asked for the authentic vanilla experience so that’s what we get and I’m all for that.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2017-11-07 at 01:59 AM.

I don't know, in one hand that would be nice for people who want to experience the game for the first time, in the other hand it wouldn't be vanilla anymore.
    I personally prefer them not to touch anything at all,but again, I don't know if that's the best for the game as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    That’s asking for way too much. First it was “classic!!!” Now it’s “oh, classic isn’t good enough we want classic remastered too!!” This opinion is coming from a buffbot main (aka Paladin).

No. We get the original classic and that’s it. Why is it now that we’re getting classic all of the sudden it’s not good enough?
    No, it's great. I've played a lot of Project1999 and I did play Vanilla WoW on servers, and the grittiness and immersion of the Classic games are so good. It's absolutely great.

But there are so many possibilities with such a fun game like Vanilla WoW. I just, I can't shake the idea that there's so much more you can do with the canvas that is Vanilla WoW.

Of course there should be spec/class balancing to ensure that all classes are viable in both PVP and PVE. Just because it's Classic doesn't mean it should be a broken game.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

Quote Originally Posted by Killigrew View Post
    I mean I don't wanna play if rogues go around wouth no gear and grey daggers killing everybody again :S
    leave it like that, people are gonna quit all the quicker when they keep getting 7 minute GY runs and die to a rogue they have no chance of beating.

If you balanced the classes to be more viable, the raids would get easier, so you'd have to redesign the raids to make up for the increased power level of the raid groups, and now you're just getting away from vanilla.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think that leaving broken specs broken just for the sake of "purism" is just dumb.

No, it's great. I've played a lot of Project1999 and I did play Vanilla WoW on servers, and the grittiness and immersion of the Classic games are so good. It's absolutely great.

But there are so many possibilities with such a fun game like Vanilla WoW. I just, I can't shake the idea that there's so much more you can do with the canvas that is Vanilla WoW.
    It’s not a canvas, it’s already it’s own painting mate. Not trying to sound corny but that’s the best way I can put it using your terms.

There’s no “extra” stuff that needs to be added to vanilla. There is no canvas. It has such a huge demand because it has already provided an amazing experience for people. That’s why people are asking for it to be authentic, because it isn’t a canvas or something that needs work. It’s fine the way it is even with the shitty class balancing, bugs, etc. That’s what made the experience.

If you decide to start making changes, then what will stop people from asking for more and more changes? It’ll never be enough. You ask for class balancing, then people ask for less disparity between classes, then people ask for more abilities, then people ask for new raids, then people ask for new ui customization and it’ll be a never ending cycle if blizzard keeps changing it and eventually it won’t be vanilla anymore and we’re back to square 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it wouldn't be Classic anymore. It might be fun, but it would be something totally different.

That's your answer.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

As I’ve said in other threads I’m playing both. I love both classic and retail, both have ups and downs. So as much as time allows me to I’ll be playing retail as well as vanilla wow probably during down times. I’m saying this because you asked for classic fans. I’m a WoW fan in general whether it’s classic or retail, only time I didn’t enjoy myself was obviously WoD.

Would I like ret and prot to be viable in vanilla? Yes. However we asked for the authentic vanilla experience so that’s what we get and I’m all for that.
    It would not surprise me that those who were whinging for classic servers, go "hey everyone we won on getting legacy servers, why don't we whinge some more and maybe they will capitulate and balance the specs.."

In a small way I knew this would happen, that there would that some of the pro legacy bunch who would never be happy..

OT: The pro legacy people whinged like 2 year olds wanting their precious servers, and they now will soon have them.. No you got your servers just be happy they even deemed it worthy to do them at all..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2017-11-07 at 02:16 AM.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, Classic needs to be Classic, as it was before BC.

I don't believe most of the people that say they preferred Classic to any of the expansions. It often comes off a little like they are trying too hard to establish some kind of hipster nerd cred. "I only like it when it was harder (i.e. inconvenient)."

But you know what, if they truly preferred it, then great, have at it! The population of active 60's on the new Classic servers will be the proof to show how many people truly prefer it that way. And with Blizz now having official metrics on the activity of Classic servers, I could see possible BC, Wrath, etc servers, each offering the last patch state before the respective next expansion pre-patch.

And I'm fine with that!

But to muddy the waters by adding QoL improvements to the Vanilla experience and then saying that you prefer Classic is disingenuous.

I don't think it's realistic to have all specs viable in both pve and pvp without massive re-working that would really break the feel of vanilla. (To do this on retail they have basically made all the classes the same). The vanilla philosophy was one spec pve, one spec pvp and one fun/ utility/ not quite sure what it is yet. They shot for that but missed, eg paladin only had one spec. It worked well with say priest, where holy was for pve, shadow was great for pvp, and disc could be dipped into for utility or fun. Less good was say paladin that could heal or go home. If they made all the classes have the options of priest, that would do for me.

Edit: typo-arama
    Last edited by zinfandel; 2017-11-07 at 02:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think some balancing, new graphics, and even new development in general would be fine, as long as it's within the bounds of the 'vanilla philosophy', which was world building and social gaming instead of theme park rpg.

It’s not a canvas, it’s already it’s own painting mate. Not trying to sound corny but that’s the best way I can put it using your terms.

There’s no “extra” stuff that needs to be added to vanilla. There is no canvas. It has such a huge demand because it has already provided an amazing experience for people. That’s why people are asking for it to be authentic, because it isn’t a canvas or something that needs work. It’s fine the way it is even with the shitty class balancing, bugs, etc. That’s what made the experience.

If you decide to start making changes, then what will stop people from asking for more and more changes? It’ll never be enough. You ask for class balancing, then people ask for less disparity between classes, then people ask for more abilities, then people ask for new raids, then people ask for new ui customization and it’ll be a never ending cycle if blizzard keeps changing it and eventually it won’t be vanilla anymore and we’re back to square 1.
    Yeah, I hear you. You ask for this change, then someone asks for that change, and suddenly it's not Classic WoW at all anymore, it's Legion-style Vanilla.

My opinion is that there should always be a pure Classic option. But there are certain things that are never thought of as something that made Classic WoW so good. Class imbalance is one of those things. The thought of experiencing Classic WoW with all the same hard effort, the same world immersion, the same 1-60 crafting relevance, the same server identity and social interaction, the things that made Classic WoW so good, but with the ability to play that Ret you never got to, it's just too appealing.

And this opens up even more possibilities. Imagine new Classic servers released every couple years or so, with new class balancing. How about new crafting recipes? Or completely new spec abilities and mechanics? As long as the core components that make Classic WoW so good remain unchanged, the possibilities are endless for fresh takes built on those components.

I hope they change one thing and one thing only - having flight path chaining. Having to sit there when your toon was flying cross country to re-fly every time you landed was a ballache and added nothing to the experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is for Classic fans really, just want your opinion.

I know this is sacrilege, but I think it would be really, really cool if they balanced ret and balanced other specs to be viable without changing anything else. Just tweaked some numbers, have abilities do a bit more damage.

This would breathe new life into Classic WoW since everybody wouldn't just be running the popular specs. We would approach raid bosses with new compositions, like Shadow Priests and Retadins, and experience them differently than we ever did before. Same content, fresh experience. And this wouldn't encroach on the core of why Vanilla is so appealing: The immersion, the effort it takes to accomplish tasks (and are therefore more rewarding), the social aspect that requires interacting with people on your server to overcome challenges. All it would do is open up new possibilities that we never got to experience.

At the very least, we could have "Classic remixed" alongside "Classic"

What do you think?
    @jackofwinds - what was that about a slippery slope fallacy in the other thread?

(Jack accused me of baseless slippery slope fears when I pointed out that people who wanted Classic would inevitably split into those who wanted no changes and those who wanted certain changes.)

I think you should get Classic as it was. That's what all of you have been clamoring for, for years.

It's a lose-lose situation. Either they tweak things and people complain that it's not exactly how it was in vanilla, or they leave things exactly the way they were and people complain about vanilla's bad design.

I'm personally in the camp that they should do the latter, because at least then they're giving exactly what was asked for. The fact that what was asked for is bad isn't really their problem.