Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

The Main Problem With Immigrants From South America

By South America, I mean Mexico and down, but the title can only be so long. Take a look at this article: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/she...b7Kz&ocid=iehp

The main problem I have is it says she has lived here 19 years and had to speak through an interpreter. I know it isn't true for 100% of them, but I feel the majority of immigrants (especially the illegal ones) from Central and South America have this resistance or just no care attitude toward learning English, which is the main language of the USA. I feel immigrants from India, China, Korea, Europe etc... pretty much EVERYWHERE but Spanish speaking countries south of Texas make a real effort to learn English, as they should.

"I was expecting more empathy, more comprehension of all of the good that we contribute to the economy and to the culture here in this country,” Hernandez said, speaking through an interpreter."

What culture? You mean trying to assimilate our country into yours by NOT accepting our culture and language? By constantly crying that you just don't get to be here for free?

Honestly, I know I personally and I think the right as a whole would be a lot more sympathetic to immigrants from Mexico/South America if they made more of an effort to be Americans, instead of a Mexican/Nicaraguan/other Hispanic just living in America.

Before you even start - It doesn't matter if "the official" language is not English. We all know its by far and away the main language. All leaders or anyone of importance in the country must have a strong grasp of English. Besides that, language links a people together, if we can't communicate its going to be very hard to get along and work together.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I know people that have lived here in Canada far longer than me who still barely speak english. They still work their asses off and contribute...I know it can be frustrating to try and talk to them..but who cares really, they work like mofos.

The US doesn't have an official language. Yes, it matters. People can be important in the US and not speak english. There's no reason we can't expand language teaching to also teach a language spoken by more than 10% of the US population. Except, you know, not taxing enough to fund our schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    By South America, I mean Mexico and down, but the title can only be so long. Take a look at this article: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/she...b7Kz&ocid=iehp

The main problem I have is it says she has lived here 19 years and had to speak through an interpreter. I know it isn't true for 100% of them, but I feel the majority of immigrants (especially the illegal ones) from Central and South America have this resistance or just no care attitude toward learning English, which is the main language of the USA. I feel immigrants from India, China, Korea, Europe etc... pretty much EVERYWHERE but Spanish speaking countries south of Texas make a real effort to learn English, as they should.

"I was expecting more empathy, more comprehension of all of the good that we contribute to the economy and to the culture here in this country,” Hernandez said, speaking through an interpreter."

What culture? You mean trying to assimilate our country into yours by NOT accepting our culture and language? By constantly crying that you just don't get to be here for free?

Honestly, I know I personally and I think the right as a whole would be a lot more sympathetic to immigrants from Mexico/South America if they made more of an effort to be Americans, instead of a Mexican/Nicaraguan/other Hispanic just living in America.

Before you even start - It doesn't matter if "the official" language is not English. We all know its by far and away the main language. All leaders or anyone of importance in the country must have a strong grasp of English. Besides that, language links a people together, if we can't communicate its going to be very hard to get along and work together.
    What's an American? Define an American for me, then I will tell you how coddled and ignorant you are about the US.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on who you are around, if your constantly dealing with English people you should learn the language likewise if s English person should learn a bit of Spanish if they are around Spanish people.
    And jay lock not all of them, the last 6 immigrants I had my job place didn’t cut it and were fired or left of their own accord.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    It depends on who you are around, if your constantly dealing with English people you should learn the language likewise if s English person should learn a bit of Spanish if they are around Spanish people.
    And jay lock not all of them, the last 6 immigrants I had my job place didn’t cut it and were fired or left of their own accord.
    I work in the construction field sort of. We need all the immigrants we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The US doesn't have an official language. Yes, it matters. People can be important in the US and not speak english. There's no reason we can't expand language teaching to also teach a language spoken by more than 10% of the US population. Except, you know, not taxing enough to fund our schools.
    Why? I am sure you can agree its more unifying to speak a common language. If you want to learn 10 languages, go ahead. However there should always be one common one, and in the USA that is very clearly English.

It's clear sign they don't need english if they don't learn it.

Why? I am sure you can agree its more unifying to speak a common language. If you want to learn 10 languages, go ahead. However there should always be one common one, and in the USA that is very clearly English.
    I think it's more unifying to let people speak the language they know, and not imply they're lazy idiots for doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It's clear sign they don't need english if they don't learn it.
    They do if they want a job better than Janitor. They do if they want more people to be pro immigration and help them out, like this woman wants. Besides that, if you are going to move to a new country learning the language is the right thing to to, again it unifies the population. It doesn't help matters if you can't communicate with your neighbor.

Deleted
    I don't think it is going to improve particularly much now that there is a more negative relationship with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    They do if they want a job better than Janitor. They do if they want more people to be pro immigration and help them out, like this woman wants. Besides that, if you are going to move to a new country learning the language is the right thing to to, again it unifies the population. It doesn't help matters if you can't communicate with your neighbor.
    have you any clue what the world of construction is about?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of Americans who barely speak English.

I'm not sure how different this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Where does it say that?
    Please, it doesn't have to say anywhere that the language the vast majority of people in the US speak is English...it's literally a matter of common sense, regardless of how much of a sjw someone wants to pretend to be. It absolutely amazes me that ANYONE can even attempt to combat the fact that the language of the US is English. I am not trying to put down immigrants, I don't have a problem with them here, and I fully support the fact that our country has always been open to them...but in NO way can anybody argue the fact that the language of the US is English. It does not need to be written in stone as it is just a fact of life. It's simply astounding how people can try to twist this absolute fact into some sort of racist or hate thing, and also quite saddening to see really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    Please, it doesn't have to say anywhere that the language the vast majority of people in the US speak is English...it's literally a matter of common sense, regardless of how much of a sjw someone wants to pretend to be. It absolutely amazes me that ANYONE can even attempt to combat the fact that the language of the US is English. I am not trying to put down immigrants, I don't have a problem with them here, and I fully support the fact that our country has always been open to them...but in NO way can anybody argue the fact that the language of the US is English. It does not need to be written in stone as it is just a fact of life. It's simply astounding how people can try to twist this absolute fact into some sort of racist or hate thing, and also quite saddening to see really.
    when will you realize that working hard for your family comes first? There will be ways around learning english.

That certainly depends on where you live my friend. Here in Houston ~1/2 of the population speaks Spanish. The closer you get to the border the higher the number will get. Even indigenous Americans learn Spanish as a second language or even third language as a necessity or job requirement. Or like me, simply because they want to, since it makes it much easier to talk to people in a language they are more comfortable communicating in.
    I am going to advise you all just like I advised my own children and nieces. It certainly helped them in the long term. If you are going have any contact with anyone in any foreseeable future in your job it will behest you to learn Spanish. Somewhere, sometime down the road you will need to talk to someone that doesn’t speak English. Being bilingual always looks great on a resume especially if you deal with the public in any way whatsoever. It can even demand a bump salary since it is an extra skill. You just never know what the future is going to bring. It never hurts to be prepared.

Then learn to speak Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    when will you realize that working hard for your family comes first? There will be ways around learning english.
    Familia es todo mi amigo.
    Some people don’t get that concept.
    They only look out for numero uno.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Hypothetically if we had the money to teach 90% of the population to communicate with 10%, wouldn't it be vastly more cost-effective to teach the 10% how to communicate with the 90%?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

People from a country famous for the majority of it's population only knowing one language, bitching about other people only knowing one language. News at 11pm.