Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    It sounds like it should be mandatory for any cat found outside without an owner nearby.

15+ Year Old Account
    my brother got his cat declawed(was a rescued cat). they used a Laser to cut them. Years ago, they use to have to pull the skin back and cut the bone off. which is even horrible to think about. but my brothers cat after the laser operation, was back to normal when it woke up from the meds, it didnt have to wear no "casts" on its paws or nothing. the only thing my brother had to do was give antibiotics just incase there may be infection.

You de-clawed a 6 month old kitten? Do you not entertain it or train it? You should be disallowed to get a cat. Proper de-clawing basically is the same as removing the first joint on all your fingers. Cats need their claws to get proper stretching done. It supports their muscles to stretch and scratch using their claws.

Should've bought the poor thing some more toys, played with it more, or giving it a climbing tree. Or just clip the sharp tips off. Dayum.

In short, I find declawing a cat inhumane as fuck. Instead of scratching if it feels threatened, it'll bite.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2017-11-10 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    It sounds like it should be mandatory for any cat found outside without an owner nearby.
    Great solution for huge pussies like yourself. Most people can deal with cat claws though so maybe it's unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    100% against it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    You murderous fiend!
    No, I should bow down and respect you for abusing cats, i'm sure that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwell View Post
    All 3 of my cats are declawed and I can confirm they live a better life than you do.
    Edit cause rude
    People need to understand it isn't the owners intention to harm the cat nor am I lazy by any means.
    I've fostered countless litters of kittens (2/3 of mine are from the first litter I couldn't give them up) and part of the fostering process is helping them get used to cats outside the litter. Now you have no idea what's going on in the kittens mind when it sees a different cat and you don't want your cat freaking out and hurting one of the kittens. Im not accountable for everyone but my cats are purrfectly fine.
    Being mutilated isn't being fine. And I doubt your cats live a better life than me. My body is intact. It has full function.

No, it's called hospitality. If you were given the choice to have your fingers chopped off or death, which would you choose?

These cats don't have that choice.
    They get death unless I intervene.
    I won't intervene if I can't declaw.
    If declawing was illegal, 4 cats would be dead right now instead of living lives in happy homes.

Declawed cats often get given up or kicked out due to behavioral issues. And if they get put out they can’t defend themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    You might have saved them from death (if there absolutely was no one else who could have taken them), but only on the condition that you can have them mutilated in order to make it as convenient for you as possible. Did any of them even cause any serious issues before you decided to do it? Or did you declaw them preemptively because you didn't even want to try to spare them from this kind of abuse?

What I would choose doesn't matter. Like you said yourself, the cats didn't have that choice.
    What you would choose implies what the cats would choose. It's obvious.

id never do it, just train your cat better or stop neglecting them. cats need lots of scratchy toys or something filled with catnip but once they find what they like they will rarely attack your furniture/walls instead of their favourite toys.

i believe it also does something to your cats psyche since they no longer have the defensive mechanisms they were born with.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Declawed cats often get given up or kicked out due to behavioral issues. And if they get put out they can’t defend themselves.
    Mine won't. Because I'm a caring and responsible pet owner.

I declawed one cat, and I kick myself in the ass for it every time I think about it.

Then, I didn't know what was involved, but the minute I was told what was done to declaw a cat (which was directly after Pooh had his front claws removed and his paws looked funny), I threw up, and held him for about an hour telling him how sorry I was that I did that to him.

I will never do that to another cat ever again. It is inhumane, and vet clinics should be ashamed that they do this shit.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

Mine won't. Because I'm a caring and responsible pet owner.
    Not if you declawed your cats. You robbed them of pleasure for life and run the high risk of arthritis and nerve damage. And cats are very good at hiding pain so you could be non the wiser which is more than likely what is happening right now.

Why do humans suck so much. Educate yourselves or dont own pets

Deleted
    What you would choose implies what the cats would choose. It's obvious.
    I haven't even said what I would choose. But even then: It's still always just a guess.

You are telling yourself that you have done something extraordinarily benevolent by saving those cats and having them mutilated in the process. And yeah, you might have saved their lives (if really no one else could have taken them in) - however, you could easily have done better by actually not only keeping them alive, but also keeping them safe from harm. Which you didn't, for the sake of your own convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Not if you declawed your cats. You robbed them of pleasure for life and run the high risk of arthritis and nerve damage. And cats are very good at hiding pain so you could be non the wiser which is more than likely what is happening right now.

Why do humans suck so much. Educate yourselves or dont own pets
    You have a very short-sighted view. You are unreachable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    I haven't even said what I would choose. But even then: It's still always just a guess.

You are telling yourself that you have done something extraordinarily benevolent by saving those cats and having them mutilated in the process. And yeah, you might have saved their lives (if really no one else could have taken them in) - however, you could easily have done better by actually not only keeping them alive, but also keeping them safe from harm. Which you didn't, for the sake of your own convenience.
    That's beside the point. I saved their lives. Many in this thread on your side are arguing for their deaths. I find killing animals inhumane.

You have a very short-sighted view. You are unreachable.

- - - Updated - - -

That's beside the point. I saved their lives. Many in this thread on your side are arguing for their deaths. I find killing animals inhumane.
    Because re homing is impossible? Death is the only alternative?

using nail trimmers when they are kittens so they dont struggle when you clip their nails with scissors as adults?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Because re homing is impossible? Death is the only alternative?

using nail trimmers when they are kittens so they dont struggle when you clip their nails with scissors as adults?
    In most scenarios, and especially now after the hurricanes, no, rehoming is not an option. They either get adopted or they die.

My parents decided to declaw the cat I had growing up. Happy cat. Lived an awesome life. Died of old age.

I have adopted/been part of adopting three cats. Still have two, third is with my ex (AFAIK). None declawed. All three live(d) happy lives.

Point being, I wouldn't declaw a cat personally, but... if that cat might have been put down, then they are definitely getting a better - albeit lesser - life...

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    I declawed one cat, and I kick myself in the ass for it every time I think about it.

Then, I didn't know what was involved, but the minute I was told what was done to declaw a cat (which was directly after Pooh had his front claws removed and his paws looked funny), I threw up, and held him for about an hour telling him how sorry I was that I did that to him.

I will never do that to another cat ever again. It is inhumane, and vet clinics should be ashamed that they do this shit.
    Out of curiosity, did he ever exhibit 'the floppy walk'? Where the cats paws will 'sink in'?

One thing I would like to bring up is that declawing isn't just something that people do to domesticated cats, many people who own exotic or big cats will have them 'declawed' to make them easier to work with or control and in many cases it can lead to negative results, like with this cougar:

In most scenarios, and especially now after the hurricanes, no, rehoming is not an option. They either get adopted or they die.
    I'm aware of the high euthanize rates in shelters. Props for housing what you can but you really dont need to declaw them in the process of helping. If its too much of a burden then I would rather take on less cats and help the ones I can or try my best to re-house rather than amputee their limbs