Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The "European Capital Culture of Europe" is like the "European Green Capital of Europe". It's an award from the Commission putting an EU city in the spotlight for a year if they put some effort in promoting culture in general, or public transports, green areas and sustainable energy in the case of green capitals. There is absolutely no point in spending part of the EU budget for a city in the UK in 2023 if they are leaving in 2019.
    I understand the disappointment but cities in non-EU member states are not allowed to bid. It makes sense not to pick a city in the UK as they will have been out of the EU for 4 years by then.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    When did Britain say they will also stay off the EEA ? They were eligible to host the event prior to such statement, that much is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Britain decided to betray all of Europe, spat on everyone's face, broke apart the vision all of Europe stood for after the 2nd WW, for a united & peaceful Europe and now Britain expects anything else other than spite?
    Britain did not betray europe. The EU is betraying europe. Chiseling away national sovereignty, Making decisions that most of the european citizens do NOT agree with, and bullying anyone who doesn't follow them like a dog.

Those evil UK citizens, how dare they want to decide their own future and lives! They should just shut up and do what mutti merkel says! Sigh...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Really? Because it seems to me Brexit was the pet project of the crazy wing of the Conservative party (as opposed to the mean, nasty wing of the Conservative party). And the Conservative party is the party of England and Wales.

As for the North of Ireland, there was a Remain majority, not a leave majority. We voted against this madness, mostly because we are right in the firing line. A border in my country at the best of some old sods in England.

F**k that.
    And 46.6% voted Remain in the England. The differences were small, England had a 5% majority it was very close.

Being Cultural Capital gives you access to all sorts of funding and grants from EU sources. It kinda makes sense that these monies shouldn't go to countries that have said they do no longer want to be part of the European project.

How is this a bombshell, let alone a surprise?

If you vote to leave the European Union, you obviously also vote to not receive EU grants, just as you don't want to pay into the EU. Seems fair enough.

I live in a city that was recently the European City of Culture, and frankly it made no difference aside from some new incredibly ugly buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I don't know it seems very weak... We have known BREXIT will happen for a long time now. I can't help feel the decision is more out of malice than much else at this point
    A lot of companies held out hoping that the UK would reverse course or that they would keep access to the single market and freedom of movement. They did not start moving until this year when it was pretty clear the UK was aiming for a hard Brexit. I am not saying this for sure but they may have been hoping for a soft brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Did you read the next sentence? Cities in countries that were under accession, members of the EFTA or the EEA. The UK is none of the above.
    A) The next sentence was "It added that people were "working feverishly behind the scenes to reverse this decision," and B) I wasn't aware we were leaving the EEA as well.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

No doubt the EU will still like the UK to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I'm not entering this pointless discussion
    I'm just saying that you should not be taken by surprise if the EU simply elects to push Britain to the side. You need to understand how all other non-British politicians received the decision of Britain.

No one, except anyone with interest in your country leaving, welcomed it. I wish that a later politician of your country somehow circumvents this terrible decision and you can be welcomed back to the European family, but only without any shadows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed it is. Britain decided to betray all European and World history. You elected democratically to opt out. The EU will democratically elect to punish you, however it democratically decides to.
    Britain decided to betray all European and World History? How the fuck do you figure that? If anything the EU is a betrayal of European history considering that prior to 1945 there was pretty much always a war somewhere in Europe. The period prior to WW1 was probably the longest without a war. I'm not saying the EU isn't a good thing comparatively but it sure as hell isn't honest to Europes history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Keep on punishing Britain. I hope that China just conquers them and we do nothing about it.
    What makes you think China is capable of doing much of anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Destump View Post
    Britain did not betray europe. The EU is betraying europe. Chiseling away national sovereignty, Making decisions that most of the european citizens do NOT agree with, and bullying anyone who doesn't follow them like a dog.

Those evil UK citizens, how dare they want to decide their own future and lives! They should just shut up and do what mutti merkel says! Sigh...
    I am not saying that this is not at least partially true, but us Europeans simply need to advocate for much more democracy, as my country does for the last decade, but gets no support.

And no, the UK citizens are fine, really.

Too bad so sad is the motto here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Britain decided to betray all European and World History? How the fuck do you figure that? If anything the EU is a betrayal of European history considering that prior to 1945 there was pretty much always a war somewhere in Europe. The period prior to WW1 was probably the longest without a war. I'm not saying the EU isn't a good thing comparatively but it sure as hell isn't honest to Europes history.
    The Union is definitely not in a perfect state, or even close that. No one can deny though, that it is the best, this continent has offered to its citizens in all of its time. We can travel freely, we can talk freely, we can trade freely. This has never been the case before.

And no, betraying war in favour of peace, is never a betrayal to any country or citizen.

Deleted
    Britain should be punished as much as possible. They shouldn't have left, and you cannot have all the benefits without their drawbacks of something. You are either in or not. I hope that when the trade agreements will be renegotiated, the EU will stand strict versus Britain. We cannot allow for a member that decided to simply pick up their stuff and leave to have any kind of good treatment by us.

Britain is out, and that means out. No bonuses, no special trade agreements, nothing that would be given to a country that stays in the Union. The EU could or even should be vengeful to a country like Britain that simply opted to move out of the EU, just because.
    What a nice democratic union you have there, I bet you cannot wait for that EU army so you can encourage more freedom among its members.

Britain should be punished as much as possible. They shouldn't have left, and you cannot have all the benefits without their drawbacks of something. You are either in or not. I hope that when the trade agreements will be renegotiated, the EU will stand strict versus Britain. We cannot allow for a member that decided to simply pick up their stuff and leave to have any kind of good treatment by us.

Britain is out, and that means out. No bonuses, no special trade agreements, nothing that would be given to a country that stays in the Union. The EU could or even should be vengeful to a country like Britain that simply opted to move out of the EU, just because.
    Punished for what exactly? They've done nothing wrong.

10+ Year Old Account

The EU should not seek to "punish" the UK whatsoever.

Now, that doesn't mean the EU shouldn't be looking out for it's own interests in trade deals and so on, but intentionally punish, just no.

I am not saying that this is not at least partially true, but us Europeans simply need to advocate for much more democracy, as my country does for the last decade, but gets no support.

And no, the UK citizens are fine, really.
    Lmao, EU is not democratic by any measure and will never be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    Punished for what exactly? They've done nothing wrong.
    Punished for leaving a political union they did not agree to join, when Britain joined up it was the EEC (European Economic Community) and the idea was unity through trade not a central government.