Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Extremly low FPS with my new setup, pls help

I've got myself a new pc with Ryzen 5 1400 Wraith Stealth, RX 580 Aorus 4GB and 16Gb RAM thinking it would handle WoW on Ultra with no issues. Yet I'm barely getting 20 FPS in raids.

What I've tried doing is getting updating drivers, turned on high performance in power settings, turned off xbox dvr in my win 10, all with no success.

Do you guys have any idea what might cause the issues?

Thanks in advance.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's no PC in the world that can run WoW in Mythic Raids @ quality level 10 @ 60FPS and higher.

WoW is HEAVILY CPU bound and most of it's job is allocated to 1 core.
    If you drop to Quality 7 you should be perfectly fine, possibly overclock the CPU for a little bit more headroom.

Your system is fine for just about any other type of game ... but WoW and others like it simply do not scale well on computers at all.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Deleted
    I'll try using Catalyst drivers instead of Crimson, read somewhere on WoW forums that it might work better with that.

Also, I'm not talking about Ultra on 10, I'm talking about preset 7 with shadows and SSAO low/off

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawndell View Post
    I'll try using Catalyst drivers instead of Crimson, read somewhere on WoW forums that it might work better with that.

Also, I'm not talking about Ultra on 10, I'm talking about preset 7 with shadows and SSAO low/off
    Then something is glitching somewhere, WoW should not run this poorly in a raid with a Ryzen chip.
    Perhaps you have some out of control combat logger addons?

Also ... Ultra in WoW is preset 10 and has been as such for quite a while.
    7 is the new "High" preset so keep it as the system is telling you otherwise people in general will get confused by what you mean with "Ultra".
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Then something is glitching somewhere, WoW should not run this poorly in a raid with a Ryzen chip.
    Perhaps you have some out of control combat logger addons?

Also ... Ultra in WoW is preset 10 and has been as such for quite a while.
    7 is the new "High" preset so keep it as the system is telling you otherwise people in general will get confused by what you mean with "Ultra".
    Do you think reinstalling the game will help? I've copied this installation from my old pc to save some time, and it started the game with the settings from another pc

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you think reinstalling the game will help? I've copied this installation from my old pc to save some time, and it started the game with the settings from another pc
    That depends on your internet connection line.

You could manually delete all add-ons and settings but if you have an insane connection speed (like me ) then go for it.

With Kaby Lake i7, 32gb ram,SSd 3100mb read speed and 1080 GTX, i am on ultra on every single area in wow without any issues, also It runs on 2K display with 144hz Gsync.

Doubtfull, you can always run the repair function from the launcher. Usually if you have high fps questing and running around in the world and very low during raids it is a broken/outdated addon.

Deleted
    The game should run much better on a PC like this. Lose the addons and do a clean install. It's never a good idea not to do a clean install of stuff.

Try removing and re-inserting your ram and graphics card. Sometimes a loose connection can screw frame rates.

Deleted
    Do you have any other (demanding) game that you could test to determine if it is a problem with your system in general or just with WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timshuku View Post
    With Kaby Lake i7, 32gb ram,SSd 3100mb read speed and 1080 GTX, i am on ultra on every single area in wow without any issues, also It runs on 2K display with 144hz Gsync.
    Every time we get a person like you stating this and every time we ask for your specific proof where even high end overclockers have failed there's never an answer.

@OP ... Don't listen to this person please, ignore it and move on.

Every time we get a person like you stating this and every time we ask for your specific proof where even high end overclockers have failed there's never an answer.

Well, in this case he may be right. He did not claim to stay above 60 FPS in all those situations, just that's he's on Ultra with a 144hx GSync Monitor. Entirely possible that he does play on Ultra everywhere and does drop to the 40s for FPS but stays smooth because of the GSync.

Without outlandish claims of 60+FPS, his statement is entirely possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, in this case he may be right. He did not claim to stay above 60 FPS in all those situations, just that's he's on Ultra with a 144hx GSync Monitor. Entirely possible that he does play on Ultra everywhere and does drop to the 40s for FPS but stays smooth because of the GSync.

Without outlandish claims of 60+FPS, his statement is entirely possible.
    Alright I may have misread that slightly.

I assumed his reaction was 60+ FPS.

Those settings don't go 40FPS but close to 30FPS on max drain.

Regardless if he meant 60+ FPS then my statement stands, if not... I apologize.

Alright I may have misread that slightly.

I assumed his reaction was 60+ FPS.

Those settings don't go 40FPS but close to 30FPS on max drain.

Regardless if he meant 60+ FPS then my statement stands, if not... I apologize.
    No worries, I almost did the same thing as you, because, well, that's what we do. But then I re-read it and saw no mention of his FPS.

15+ Year Old Account

It's becoming more and more possible, actually. Someone in the CPU overclocking thread asked me to check my frame rates in raid on my new setup. Out of 1156 seconds, I was under 60fps for 12 seconds... while streaming at the time (using x264 instead of nvenc). That was at 1080p, fullscreen windowed, all basic video settings at max (no increased render scale, etc), 2xMSAA (MFAA forced in the drivers). Yes, it's not 100% of the time over 60fps, but it is 99% on a fight with a lot of extra effects/adds. It was a 19-man normal, so count that against me if you must. Also, I guess I could have faked the data, but I'd hope my tenure in this forum would speak against that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    It's becoming more and more possible, actually. Someone in the CPU overclocking thread asked me to check my frame rates in raid on my new setup. Out of 1156 seconds, I was under 60fps for 12 seconds... while streaming at the time (using x264 instead of nvenc). That was at 1080p, fullscreen windowed, all basic video settings at max (no increased render scale, etc), 2xMSAA (MFAA forced in the drivers). Yes, it's not 100% of the time over 60fps, but it is 99% on a fight with a lot of extra effects/adds. It was a 19-man normal, so count that against me if you must. Also, I guess I could have faked the data, but I'd hope my tenure in this forum would speak against that.
    There's a difference between your settings and the poster's "on ultra in every single area" settings.

I'm not disputing the fact that with a good high-end kit you get a long way, hell on 7 - 8 settings I believe it's possible if you lower some useless settings to crap out above 60 no problem, but not all ultra.

I brought up the Mythic thing in post 1 and he did not disprove it so I'm assuming he is raiding Mythic.
    And it's not meant to be belligerent but there's a stark difference between Mythic raids and Normal raids in terms of FPS, which you're also aware of.

Granted it's timed dips and it will improve because the CDs etc. are gone (thankfully Blizzard learned to step the hell away from Skorpyron and that Botanist douche in Nighthold... those were atrocious) and WoW is playable even at 20 FPS, not a pleasant experience but playable.

I'm more against the principle of claims when it's not going to happen at "Ultra" settings.
    Specify the settings properly and I'll be more open to things but flat claims... no, not a fan.

However on that topic I'm surprised you went with an ASRock Z370 Extreme4 though, pegged you more of a higher end board kind of guy.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between your settings and the poster's "on ultra in every single area" settings.

I'm not disputing the fact that with a good high-end kit you get a long way, hell on 7 - 8 settings I believe it's possible if you lower some useless settings to crap out above 60 no problem, but not all ultra.

I brought up the Mythic thing in post 1 and he did not disprove it so I'm assuming he is raiding Mythic.
    And it's not meant to be belligerent but there's a stark difference between Mythic raids and Normal raids in terms of FPS, which you're also aware of.

Granted it's timed dips and it will improve because the CDs etc. are gone (thankfully Blizzard learned to step the hell away from Skorpyron and that Botanist douche in Nighthold... those were atrocious) and WoW is playable even at 20 FPS, not a pleasant experience but playable.

I'm more against the principle of claims when it's not going to happen at "Ultra" settings.
    Specify the settings properly and I'll be more open to things but flat claims... no, not a fan.

However on that topic I'm surprised you went with an ASRock Z370 Extreme4 though, pegged you more of a higher end board kind of guy.
    My settings were ultra. Preset 10 plus 2xMSAA with MFAA.

There's not as much of a difference in frame rate between normal and mythic as there used to be. I'll have to see how my numbers hold up when my team gets into heroic. We usually get AotC and maybe 1 or 2 bosses in mythic. We're definitely not a "mythic team".

I can confirm that this setup still has issues with Skorpyron (on about preset 7 settings, too). I saw about 20fps while tanking. That whole instance was terribly optimized.

I had my 2500k in a P67 Extreme4 for 5 years. I figured why mess with a good thing (and caught it on a good deal).

None of that would affect your framerate in WoW in any way on an i7, for clarity. As long as WoW has to cores to itself, nothing else you're doing will impact WoW performance at all unless it uses so much CPU it tries to crowd in on WoW. Thats why Pentium-G CPUs produce identical results to i7s at the same clock speeds.

Also, when you say "all basic video settings at max"

What is your Draw Distance set to?
    What are your Shadows set to?
    Water?
    Environmental Detail?
    Ground Clutter?

Water and Shadows can be particularly brutal to framerate but dont always play into raids. Try flying around Suramar City, though. Even on my rig (i5 8600K @ 4.8Ghz, GTX 1080Ti FTW3) it gutters down into the 40s if i have Shadows and Water set to Ultra.

Same with Draw Distance. Anything past 7 obliterates framerate out in the open world for very little to no visual fidelity increase.

15+ Year Old Account
    My settings were ultra. Preset 10 plus 2xMSAA with MFAA.

There's not as much of a difference in frame rate between normal and mythic as there used to be. I'll have to see how my numbers hold up when my team gets into heroic. We usually get AotC and maybe 1 or 2 bosses in mythic. We're definitely not a "mythic team".

I can confirm that this setup still has issues with Skorpyron (on about preset 7 settings, too). I saw about 20fps while tanking. That whole instance was terribly optimized.

I had my 2500k in a P67 Extreme4 for 5 years. I figured why mess with a good thing (and caught it on a good deal).
    Dare you to try "on ultra in every single area" ... and there's still a considerable difference between Mythic and Normal, effects that last throughout the fight or aren't there at all on Normal etc. along with a higher coordination is still a bigger drain.

I can't test anything for myself right now as I'm desperately trying to find work as I still have not a computer to do things on.
    This laptop I want to bash into pieces using a sledgehammer... unfortunately it's the only thing close to a PC I have.

I cannot steal my old man's PC, the other bit I had is gone and another system I cannot access because of ... well let's just say I'm not close to it.
    Sufficed to say I have no idea of the new raiding instance and how it is because I've not raided in 3 months of which 2 months are a "death in a blaze of glory" time still.

Also not sure on what specific bosses you tested and when I mean Mythic raiding of course I'm excluding the disaster that is Skorpyron and Botanist douchebag and others that are so bad you just want to punch someone in the face.

Strangely though ... I raided on 8 preset, everything default, with my 990X and people that had the 4970K/6700K had those HUGE framedrops @ Skorpyron and Botanist.. I had frame drops as well but nowhere near what a lot of others experienced, or you for that matter with an 8700K and 20FPS range.