Poll: Do you pirate?

Thread: Pirating

Page 79 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I can't be that disappointing if you still play the games of those developers.

So it wasn't a generalization. You pirate because you don't want to pay the price.
    It is disappointing cause there are no more free demos anymore everything is headed towards NDA til postlaunch and blind preorders with chunks of the game cut out if you dont.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

I don't pirate *much*. Most of the times I pay for what I get.

I would pirate for convenience, to watch the latest tv series episode that I probably don't have any other means that I know of to access.

or for an rediculously overpriced commercial product, that I would probably rarely use anyway.

EDIT: forgot to say I would pirate to trial something.

I can't be that disappointing if you still play the games of those developers.

So it wasn't a generalization. You pirate because you don't want to pay the price.
    It's called advertising most people that end up buying had it from a source which was free, weather it on the internet or threw a friend etc and turns into sales. Your one sided view and ignorance is sad. Quote if from a author in front of his audience.

''What I want is for everybody who discovered their favorite author by being lent a book, put up your hands.” And then, “Anybody who discovered your favorite author by walking into a bookstore and buying a book raise your hands.” And it’s probably about five, ten percent of the people who actually discovered an author who’s their favorite author, who is the person who they buy everything of. They buy the hardbacks and they treasure the fact that they got this author. Very few of them bought the book. They were lent it. They were given it. They did not pay for it, and that’s how they found their favorite author. And I thought, “You know, that’s really all this is. It’s people lending books. And you can’t look on that as a loss of sale. It’s not a lost sale, nobody who would have bought your book is not buying it because they can find it for free.”

What you’re actually doing is advertising. You’re reaching more people, you’re raising awareness. Understanding that gave me a whole new idea of the shape of copyright and of what the web was doing. Because the biggest thing the web is doing is allowing people to hear things. Allowing people to read things. Allowing people to see things that they would never have otherwise seen. And I think, basically, that’s an incredibly good thing.”

Many people that pirate discover and watch things they wouldnt have otherwise and that turns into potential sales and the people that didn't end up buying wouldn't have bought it anyways or come across it. It's only a fraction which had intention of paying and got it free instead which could be negated by the people that did go and buy which otherwise wouldnt have threw access of the web.
    Last edited by DarkArchon; 2014-04-01 at 08:46 PM.

Piracy is theft but one shouldn't be denied from watching some movie/playing some video game just because he/she is poor. I only pirate if I am so pissed off to a certain company (Ubisoft for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind
    I don't want to pay an unfair price...
    If calling it "unfair" makes you sleep better at night, so be it. But don't try to play the victim here. You just don't want to spend your money, exactly like I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde
    It is disappointing cause there are no more free demos anymore...
    Which is not a justification for pirating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Piracy is theft but one shouldn't be denied from watching some movie/playing some video game just because he/she is poor. I only pirate if I am so pissed off to a certain company (Ubisoft, for example).
    No it is not theft because no one is being deprived of the good they own. It is simply being replicated without paying the copyright holder. Its like calling people thieves for making an exact replica of something you own with their own resources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon
    It's called advertising [...] Your one sided view and ignorance is sad.
    You're not allowed to force a company to advertise its products for you.

What is sad is your despair to justify your low morals standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    If calling it "unfair" makes you sleep better at night, so be it. But don't try to play the victim here. You just don't want to spend your money, exactly like I said.

Which is not a justification for pirating.
    I dont need justification through your moral values, I have my own which differ from other people's including your own on a lot of things.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2014-04-01 at 08:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde
    I dont need justification with your moral values, I have my own which differ from other people's including your own on a lot of things.
    You need a justification to have your own moral values. "I want demos" is not a good justification to thing it is moral to download paid content without paying. It is a matter of reason, it doesn't have anything to do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Almost everyone pirates now and it's doing just fine, no idea where you get these doom forecasts. Go find me a person 15-25 that hasn't downloaded a song illegally. Estimated 85 billion songs were downloaded illegally last year and the music industry is doing just fine. Your under the brainwashed oppression that the music companies are trying to sell that every pirated song is a lost sale. People will download if it's a free service, doesn't go to show they would have went out and bought it otherwise. I've downloaded around 800 movies does that mean it's 800 sales gone? Nope. But they will try to argue it is. The ones that i ended up really liking i did actually go out and buy it after. So no money has been lost at all with my activity. There is no evidence to support that pirating is responsible for a decline in sales. It's the obvious place to point a finger too so they do it and create imaginary numbers linking it too piracy when they have no way of actually knowing if its from piracy to begin with. Another funny thing is music developers themselves post music on Youtube etc, could argue it's a loss in sales as well. Why go buy the disc when i can listen to it for free anything i want at home. Am sorry you bought into the biased news articles you've been reading in the newspaper.
    I've never tried to argue that it's lost profit. I've said that taken to a logical extreme, pirating breaks down the sustainability of the industry. I've said that you only get to pirate because enough people are willing to/suckered into paying for it. Just because it can't be considered "lost profit" doesn't mean pirating is morally justified. And again, "everybody is doing it" isn't a moral justification for piracy either. Nor is "The music industry is doing fine." It just means that (surprise) the entertainment industry is greedy and overcharges.

You're not allowed to force a company to advertise its products for you.

What is sad is your despair to justify your low morals standards.
    But your argument is theft and low moral standards. You don't have enough evidence to support that theory. And the ways of acquiring it isn't completely illegal either. Am also interested to know if you've ever downloaded a song or have a ripped CD. You can sit on your high horse all you want looking down, you ignore all the facts surrounding you. Don't give me your opinion, show me evidence supporting it with the horse you came in on. Prove to me that my actions is theft and by downloading it was a loss of sale because that what the real argument is here and in the courts.
    Last edited by DarkArchon; 2014-04-01 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need a justification to have your own moral values. "I want demos" is not a good justification to thing it is moral to download paid content without paying. It is a matter of reason, it doesn't have anything to do with me.
    Actually most software offer free versions, most stores have return policies, products have guarantee, you can inspect products before paying for them, new games are lacking most of those and they punish you for not preordering or buying CE because it's not 1 or 2 items anymore they are cutting stuff from the game and holding it hostage. So If i don't like their product I simply uninstall it and make space in my computer for something better mind you I still have half a Terabyte of space available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    one shouldn't be denied from watching some movie/playing some video game just because he/she is poor.
    Entertainment is a luxury, not a right.

There are cheap and legitimate ways to watch movies and play games; it usually just takes some patience because (gasp!) things cost more when they are brand new.

Deleted
    I only download shows not available to watch every week here, like HIMYM (which sadly just ended.). Video games I rather just wait, Steam is amazing for cheap deals and indie games really don't deserve all the revenue they're not getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to download pirated games in my PC (now that i work and have money i buy them) but i still download series and movies :P

I see no point in discussing things if you're going to single out and strip away context, then argue against just one aspect of an entire post while ignoring the bulk of it.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I see no point in discussing things if you're going to single out and strip away context, then argue against just one aspect of an entire post while ignoring the bulk of it.
    That's what most people do here and this specific forum in general they ignore 90% of a post showing cold hard fact they can't explain then attack a spot they think might be a little weak and try to exploit it much as possible to fit there high horse view.

Deleted
    Maybe the companies should find different avenues to get money and make sure people actually want to pay for their products. I used to pirate game of thrones since they didn't send the new episodes in sweden within reasonable time. Now on the other hand HBO has come to Sweden and I'm finding myself to be willing to pay to watch it instead of DLing it, because I like the show a lot. Funny how that works, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Can you clarify with an example?
    I have a sibling who used to teach in rural Southeast Asia. They had computers (donated and horribly out of date, but you could read ebooks on them). New (or even used) physical textbooks for a single class would have cost more than the school's budget. But there were several different problems that would regularly crop up over his years teaching there. 1) Ebooks that were only sold on first-world pricing schemes. 2) Companies that, for legal reasons, wouldn't allow downloads to any IP address from the country in question. 3) Books where official translated copies were unavailable, but translated pirate copies were available. Naturally, the school ended up pirating
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People need to ask themselves if they used certain things to make a living legally, such as a music or movie production or whatever and someone were pirating it, how would they feel about someone taking their money which they had worked hard to make? And when you pirate, that is the same thing as stealing. If they are honest, they would not like it at all.