Poll: Do you pirate?

Thread: Pirating

Page 27 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    How is that picture even remotely funny? People pirate because of commercials? Seriously. Oh man, the junk people come up with.
    It's funny because the people who buy the product are the ones getting yelled at about piracy and being forced to sit through advertising.

But hey, if you enjoy paying for advertisements, good for you I suppose. I hate advertising with a passion, but I will endure it on sites like Hulu, or on websites I regularly visit, as I know it's what pays for the content. (I almost never actually watch or listen to said advertisements, but I allow them to play uninterrupted). When I buy a dvd, I find it borderline offensive that they feel the need to advertise at me on a product I purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    I don't own a ship so I can't pirate... but I think it's a serious problem for the trade, especially in the southeastern pacific and along the coast of Africa.

(Oh and yes, I refuse to use artificial words created by the industry. )
    Artificial is not the word you wanted to use there.

Deleted
    I only pirate what I cant get for a reasonable price and on the spot.

I will download a tv series episode as soon as its released because there is no way to get it as soon as it out legitimately which sucks I would pay for a service that had these up to date again reasonable price, I pay for crunchyroll for my anime cause well its available as soon as in high quality.

I rarely, and I mean rarely pirate games, not only cause I am in the industry and it would be like shitting where you eat but because I think the devs deserve it, I will usually buy it to try it out, I will download a pirated game if it has some retarded DRM that makes it unplayable or if it has no value and I just want to take a quick peek.

I dont download music I use the various services out there to listen to music.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I grew up in the 90's with piracy being a normal thing. Me and my friends shared games and programs all the time. My older brothers were involved with BBS's, and used to let me copy things now and then.

Back then I was a kid, and obviously couldn't buy stuff myself. As I grew up and started making my own money, I simply kept getting things through piracy because it was a habit, and because it was easy.

Still today, it's a hell of a lot easier and faster to just download a torrent, than buying a movie or game through stores. I don't think piracy is right, and you'll never see me defend it, but still I do it. Mankind doesn't always do the right things.

Quote Originally Posted by wordup View Post
    Guess it's evil and wrong to listen to music on youtube and spotify then, since I am surely taking away potential music sales!
    The difference with Spotify is that I would most certainly assume they have to contact the record labels and setup some sort of deal. Youtube is just a community that uploads files and then Youtube/labels have to "police" it per-say. In the case of YouTube though, you make it seem like you have a huge playlist or something and basically get around downloading the files instead of streaming them. If you were to stream them whenever and wherever (as in almost 90% of your listening to any particular song) then yes, I would say you are using YouTube as getting around the "pirating" aspect.

YouTube (if I cared to actually buy music) would be looked at as a "demoing" of the song and then determining if I liked it enough to buy it, not using it solely for how I "aquire" that song.

I to use torrents and to me its not stealing or pirating, These things are available to me for free and I take advantage of that. I think the guys cracking music/videos/games ect are Robin hood and I wish more people were aware of the easy availability of all things on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Im ok with pirating TV shows that dont show in Finland etc.
    I find your avatar picture disturbing.

Also, If I download a movie on the Caribbeans... Am I a pirate of the Caribbean?

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    It's funny because the people who buy the product are the ones getting yelled at about piracy and being forced to sit through advertising.

But hey, if you enjoy paying for advertisements, good for you I suppose. I hate advertising with a passion, but I will endure it on sites like Hulu, or on websites I regularly visit, as I know it's what pays for the content. (I almost never actually watch or listen to said advertisements, but I allow them to play uninterrupted). When I buy a dvd, I find it borderline offensive that they feel the need to advertise at me on a product I purchased.
    It's an archaic method of protecting themselves from what are basically fraud cases, claiming ignorance of the law, from back when video editing wasn't something most people could do for themselves. They aren't advertisements, just inconvenient artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    It's an archaic method of protecting themselves from what are basically fraud cases, claiming ignorance of the law, from back when video editing wasn't something most people could do for themselves. They aren't advertisements, just inconvenient artifacts.
    Regarding the warnings, I agree with your summary. On the other hand, the movie/tv/whatever trailers are absolutely advertisements, and not always skippable :-P

Deleted
    Yes I do (or did) "pirate" stuff. However I think my doing is part of a grey zone and morally I don't have a problem with it.

I don't really care about specific music so I don't pirate any.

Software is paid by my business so there is no need to pirate any of that. Do I use my business software for private use? Yes (this is techically illegal but multilicencing per person is ridiculous.)

I usually watch trailers for movies on the internet, if it gets me interested I will watch it online and if I liked it I will buy it on blue-ray / dvd since I have a collection. If I didn't like it I will likely not even completely watch it.

Same essentially goes for video games. I test it for a few hours and if I like it, I'll buy it. If I didn't like it I will just delete it again.

However right next to where I live now is a great rental store. Instead of going through the trouble of downloading stuff I just rent it for a marginal fee for like 1 day to test it. While people usually see this as the legal method to "try stuff out" I honestly don't see a moral difference.

The only stuff I regularly pirate nowadays are foreign products that are not getting released in NA/US or are really really old and basically unobtainable (like certain SNES/NES games for example).
    Sure I could go through the trouble of importing/buying it for ridiculous prices (and in rare cases I do) but other than that the producer specifically cut me out of his consumerbase. I don't think that should be rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by wordup View Post
    Guess it's evil and wrong to listen to music on youtube and spotify then, since I am surely taking away potential music sales!

Artists 100% have the right to take music off youtube, or make money from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    On this point though, and I'm not arguing that pirating has the potential to hurt people other than the already insanely rich, but the two options you gave (album cover designers and editors) don't sound like jobs that would get a %cut of the final product each purchase, as that's who pirating hurts. They sound like flat fee paid jobs.
    Likely, yet the point still stands. There are others than just the artist who'll get their cut of the CD sales, and they are going to suffer from piracy. And when the sales are down, the album cover designers and editors are likely to see it in their pay, even if not quite as directly.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Regarding the warnings, I agree with your summary. On the other hand, the movie/tv/whatever trailers are absolutely advertisements, and not always skippable :-P
    It's been so long since I've watched a DVD (not a movie guy, but not a pirate) that I didn't even really remember the trailers. Whoops.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Artists 100% have the right to take music off youtube, or make money from it.
    What's your opinion of me using stereo mix to record youtube songs as they play?

Can that be stopped?

Deleted
    I had an interesting experience with so called "pirating"

Ages ago, i bought the Dawn of War anthology, all of the Dawn of war games in one box set, was awesome, i loved it. when i moved, i lost the CD keys for the games, misplaced my game manuals or something, anyway, i decided to buy them all again on steam, the price was pretty good in one of their sales. After installing, i had a problem, only one of the expansions launched, after alot of searching on the internet, it turned out alot of people had the same problem, and steam and THQ were throwing the blame at each other and no one was fixing it.

So i torrented the whole lot of them. Weeks later, i get an email from some company, (cant remember the name now) i dont know how legit it was, but it seemed like a warning of sorts, they specified the date and time i had downloaded the files and warned me that legal action could be taken against me if i persisted. I just found it rather funny considering i had bought the games TWICE before.

Would my defence stand in court if it had ever come to that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    How is that picture even remotely funny? People pirate because of commercials? Seriously. Oh man, the junk people come up with.
    Because this isn't just a case with movies, its a case with games, software and music. They put stupid methods on top of the product you paid for, just to f**k over the paying customer, where as a pirate just gets the product, and nothing else. Assassins creed 2 anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't believe anyone in here who say "I download the entire game to test it out. If I enjoy it, I will delete it off my harddrive/snap the copied disc and purchase a legit copy".

Seriously, who are you trying to fool? Whats more likely to occur? Its more likely that you'll just say "meh, 60 free bucks for me. I already beat the game anyways".

You can deny it all you want, but I will never, ever, ever believe you.

And people wonder why newer games, such as Diablo 3 and the next XBox system, are going to have features that either prevent playing offline OR won't allow used copies to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Arazor View Post

Ages ago, i bought the Dawn of War anthology, all of the Dawn of war games in one box set, was awesome, i loved it. when i moved, i lost the CD keys for the games, misplaced my game manuals or something, anyway, i decided to buy them all again on steam, the price was pretty good in one of their sales. After installing, i had a problem, only one of the expansions launched, after alot of searching on the internet, it turned out alot of people had the same problem, and steam and THQ were throwing the blame at each other and no one was fixing it.

So i torrented the whole lot of them. Weeks later, i get an email from some company, (cant remember the name now) i dont know how legit it was, but it seemed like a warning of sorts, they specified the date and time i had downloaded the files and warned me that legal action could be taken against me if i persisted. I just found it rather funny considering i had bought the games TWICE before.

I'm not sure about English law, but yes I'm pretty sure the case would be thrown out in the US, since you were only trying to get fair use out of your games.

Quote Originally Posted by Arazor View Post

I don't think you can try and say "I purchased this before, here's the receipt since I keep outstanding records of my purchases and I lost the originals.", purely because if I'm not mistaken you have a legal right to make a backup of your CD's that you purchased, in the US. I could be wrong since I don't follow/care to follow copyright issues but I'm fairly certain I read that alot about making backups for personal use. Of course, losing the CD-Keys still leaves you screwed but hey...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    What's your opinion of me using stereo mix to record youtube songs as they play?

Can that be stopped?
    So clearly your argument is "if it cannot be stopped, then it must continue"!

Oh, the youth of the planet!