Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Spine of Deathwing DPS argument...

Quick question for the mmo-champion community. Does dps really matter as much on the aglamations in the sense as "We must dps this down fast to do better" because I have 2 people in my guild telling me it does when I'm telling them it doesn't but it really overall only matters on the tendril (10 man normal just to tell you guys) and I would rather dps the aglamation a bit more casually so that I have my cooldowns and everyone else ready for the next tendril just for insurance that it will die.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Quick question for the mmo-champion community. Does dps really matter as much on the aglamations in the sense as "We must dps this down fast to do better" because I have 2 people in my guild telling me it does when I'm telling them it doesn't but it really overall only matters on the tendril (10 man normal just to tell you guys) and I would rather dps the aglamation a bit more casually so that I have my cooldowns and everyone else ready for the next tendril just for insurance that it will die.
    Only thing that matters there is tendril dps,you have recount whoring people and that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoogles
    Thread: F**k y*u blizzard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    Flavor of the month spec swappers have turned out to be worse on average than players that specialize in one spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    From my perspective (based on 10 man normal) it does and doesn't. The longer the almag stays up the more you burn the healer's mana pool as the absorb debuff (can't remember the name) keeps applying the entire fight. At the same time you want to time the almag's so that your 2 minute cooldown should be up for each tentacle.

Usually what we do is burn the four tendrils at the start of the fight removing all Fiery Grip timers and then flip. Get one Almag and start dps'ing it slowly till 9 bloods are up. Then we make sure the almag is around 100k health before picking up the bloods while at the same time make sure we start picking them up at 5 seconds left till Fiery Grip. This way you know no one will be gripped during the tendon burn causing bad RNG that could possibly make you have to do it twice pending on your dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    It matters to some extent depending on the strategy you use. If you time Tendon pops with the Grip timers, you need Amalg dps to bring it within kill range in 1.5 min.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks... It's been a huge issue with me vs 3 people in the guild about it...
    Hey everyone

i'd say it all depend on how they deal with the aglamation ... if they kill aell the blood before starting to down it ... then yeah, they'll need to burn it down pretty damn fast or it'll kill the raid. However, if they are doing it like my guild, burn the amalg to around 20%, kill the blood, then finish it off ... no need for any burst on that thing, only the tendril where we all pop our cd

Only the burning tendons matter, your raid should do such dps that you eventually need to stop dps on the amalgamation anyways while waiting for a few more bloods to spawn (first two at least, third is faster) ALL heavy burst cd's must be saved for burning tendons, especially while progressing. Once you overgear it its just that simple it won't matter, but usually... there is just nothing to hit.

Damage is actually timed based on the corruption. It helps a little bit to have the amalgamation dead quicker, but it does mean you have to divert more attention to the corruption as a result (since the corruption needs to die shortly after the amalgamation explodes).

The only way Amalgamation DPS becomes a key factor to your success is if you're going so slow on it that a full corruption dies before it explodes (and you're sure people aren't just over-dpsing the corruption).

At a certain point Burning Tendon damage simply doesn't matter anymore. If you can reliably get each plate down in 2 lifts, then it really doesn't matter how much more damage you're doing to the tendon (Unless you can push it to a single lift per plate).

I know my guild had a lot of problems with the fight because we were over emphasizing tendon damage and not focusing on amalgamation damage. Reducing the time between lifts allowed us to get to the final plate with significantly less bloods running around.

You can relax if you have 3 healers and want to have your cooldowns ready for tendrils. But generally it is not needed.

If you are working on it right now, i think it would be a better idea to do cooldowns on first, heroism on second and all cooldowns on third again. Some classes will not have a problem with having most of their cooldowns ready everytime.

The idea is to have more breathing room for the healers. If all else fails you can 2-heal the whole thing. So you should burn down amalgamations faster, so your healers don't get mana problems.

In my experience, the phase just right after tendrils is the most problematic for random raids or new groups. It is the most heal intensive part (because of so many absorb shields. So please burn down the tentacles after the tendrils instead of being overfilled with joy and bombing bloods uselessly.

Maybe I'm trivalizing this since we threeshotted this on our first night, but I've never even heard of timing stuff with all that... or two lifts o.0

10+ Year Old Account
    This really is a matter of opinion and I don't think is very*relevant*to normal modes.*

However since you can look at heroic mode spine as a way to see the fight tuned in a way were everything matters, YES amalag damage does matter. However it doesn't matter as much as Tendon damage IF you are nearly not downing it in the*allotted*burns (1 for normal, 2 for heroic).

If you are having no issue making the dps check for the Tendon, then*amalgamations*become more important*because*dpsing it faster (after the first one where you are waiting for bloods) will allow you to start the burn on a tendon much earlier, thus shortening the length of the fight.*

However you can't go pure out all dps on it and ignore the corruptions because you want to try to time it out to get the best burn on the tendons.*

TLR - All dps matters on Spine, just because there is the ability to pad dps by multidotting*amalgamations*doesn't mean*amalgamation*damage*doesn't*matter.*

Deleted
    If you are keeping the corruption alive it matters so that grip isnt during the tendon (you'll need to wait for 2-4 blood to spawn before 1st barrel to do this for the first algamation).

If you kill the corruption during nuclear blast it doesnt, however you will have other issues if you go with the latter (algamation alive during tendon, risk for it to eat up 9 bloods in p3 etc etc).
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2012-03-17 at 11:32 AM.

Tendon DPS isn't as tight anymore. You should still save your CDs for it, but the faster you get down the Amalgamation (assuming you have 9 blood ready ofc) the better. It does matter, because it shortens down the fight quite a bit if you kill it fast. Timing it with grip shouldn't be neccesary anymore in order to get the Tendons down after all the nerfs. Shorter fight = Less bloods and happier healers.

Quote Originally Posted by hunty View Post
    Maybe I'm trivalizing this since we threeshotted this on our first night, but I've never even heard of timing stuff with all that... or two lifts o.0
    Some people are just discussing heroic spine (for whatever reason), in which case timing and two lifts are the norm.

It actually matters a lot, anyone who has done pre-nerf third plate would know that the slower your amalg DPS the more blood you're going to have (especially if you can't reset blood on the final roll). This used to actually be a rather large problem, though with 40% buff on your kiting tank it's less likely to be a huge issue. It still makes the fight much easier though. Also it's not like tendon dps req is at all steep anymore.

Edit: apparently this is a thread on normal mode. My new advice. Just faceroll your way to victory.

Was so confused, didnt know people made threads on normal mode spine anymore.

On heroic, it does matter. The quicker you can pull the Amalg the quicker lifts will happen and the quicker the fight will go. The faster you get through each plate, the less bloods you will have thus making the 3rd plate substantially easier. Whether it is more important than tendon damage depends on how well your raid group does with each tendon lift.

Deleted
    The people claiming it doesn't matter are either on drugs or just way off. The blood spawns increase when the fight progresses in time, not in the plates.
    That meaning the fact that if you were to spend 12 minutes on the first plate you'd have the same blood spawnrate as if you were to spend 12 minutes on the last plate.

The issue that arises with it is balancing both. If you cannot make the tendon dps check without the VP trinkets you should aim to kill each amalg exactly between 90 seconds of each other. If you can make the dps check without them, go ahead and push the amalg faster. Doing that will be better for the blood spawn rate in the end and can mean a difference between a kill and a wipe.

TLDR: The faster you kill the amalgs, better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turvakapsu View Post
    The people claiming it doesn't matter are either on drugs or just way off. The blood spawns increase when the fight progresses in time, not in the plates.
    That meaning the fact that if you were to spend 12 minutes on the first plate you'd have the same blood spawnrate as if you were to spend 12 minutes on the last plate.

The issue that arises with it is balancing both. If you cannot make the tendon dps check without the VP trinkets you should aim to kill each amalg exactly between 90 seconds of each other. If you can make the dps check without them, go ahead and push the amalg faster. Doing that will be better for the blood spawn rate in the end and can mean a difference between a kill and a wipe.

TLDR: The faster you kill the amalgs, better.
    This is completely wrong. The spawn rate increases for every Amalg you kill.