Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    It helps yourself. Even if you've done nothing wrong, you expose yourself to unnecessary risks. Unless you feel you're willing to take those risks to help solve the crime, it's better to STFU.
    What unnecessary risk? As soon as they arrest you, you ask for a lawyer. It's that simple. The stupid thing you could do is not ask for a lawyer, not talk to the police. If they don't give you a lawyer, you walk out. It's one or the other, welcome to the freedom of America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    Do you agree with every single law that has been written by your government? This is the reason I could never be a cop. Not attacking you, but I could never submit to the state in such a way.

Keep up the good work though dude *seriously*.
    I do not live in the states, I'm from Canada so we may have different laws. But that being said, no I don't agree with all the laws my Province has. Some of them are clear money grabs that I loathe to enforce.

I just take the good with the bad, I became a police officer because I wan't to protect and help people. I try to be very lenient with things like speeding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medieve View Post
    That is patently the worst advice ever. If you've committed a crime, you probably shouldn't talk to police, since it's their job to arrest you. If you haven't, the police can't do their job to help the general public without the help of the general public, and they know that. Not talking to the police helps absolutely nobody.

So go ahead, don't talk to the police, and don't expect the police to be able to actually help and protect you. No law professor actually thinks it's a bad idea to talk to the police unless you've committed a crime.
    That's the ideal for the legal system, yes. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work like that. You don't always have to have done something wrong to get in trouble, it's very far from that black and white in the US, anyway.

Not that you should go commit crimes and lie to the police or anything, but you should be educated in the law and not let any police officer take advantage of your rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    A good example of this is if a police officer pulls you over and asks "how fast do you think you were going?" or "why do you think i pulled you over"

you don't have to answer. just be polite and ask him to tell you, public officers of the law have to answer you, don't incriminate yourself.
    My father was once stopped for speeding and got a ticket, there was a lineup of other cars pulled over too, my father walked over and asked the other drivers what they were stopped for, it turned out that everyone there had been ticketed for going the exact same speed, all the drivers exchanged info and showed up in court together. It turned out that the cop had given out about a dozen tickets in 30 minutes, all of them for the same amount, the judge almost blew a gasket and told the cop he'd be contacting his superiors and recommending serious disciplinary action.

"I'm sorry Officer, I've been instructed not to talk to you by an internet video"
    "But you called us? You said someone stole your car! You can't even tell us what color it was?"
    "No sir, I don't want to open myself to incrimination in some murder."

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No, ask ANY law professor or defense attorney whether talking to the police has been something they suggested.

Seriously, watch the video. It's not a crackpot doing a video from his bunker. It's a law professor at a Virginia University with a DETECTIVE as a guest speaker both saying the same thing.

Honestly, just watch it. I know it's 48 minutes long but the information is invaluable.
    In doing doctorate work at NYU Law, I've spoken with a lot of very, VERY good attorneys and teachers. They all agree, this guy is an idiot.

What unnecessary risk? As soon as they arrest you, you ask for a lawyer. It's that simple. The stupid thing you could do is not ask for a lawyer, not talk to the police. If they don't give you a lawyer, you walk out. It's one or the other, welcome to the freedom of America.
    Yes, it's a good idea to get a lawyer as soon as possible. But a lawyer will always tell you to not say a WORD to the police because you don't know what will be used against you. What? You think they can only use what you say against you after they read you your Miranda warning? Please... don't be childish.

It's much safer to simply never speak to the police. Seriously, watch the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    "I'm sorry Officer, I've been instructed not to talk to you by an internet video"
    "But you called us? You said someone stole your car! You can't even tell us what color it was?"
    "No sir, I don't want to open myself to incrimination in some murder."
    strawman argument

Deleted
    Take off the tin foil hats.

I've seen. Btw my mother is a cop... crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

In doing doctorate work at NYU Law, I've spoken with a lot of very, VERY good attorneys and teachers. They all agree, this guy is an idiot.
    Really... so those attorneys and professors will all say it's a good idea to speak to the police?

I don't buy it. If you can show me a paper or article written by a very good defense attorney or law professor then I might be interested in its reasoning... but this video makes some damn good cases. And it's not just his word. Supreme Court and other Federal court justices all agree that the 5th Amendment is there to protect the innocent, not the guilty.

This reminds me on when I was younger in elementary school when pokemon cards were it. This kid accused me of stealing his cards when I never even talk to him (brown nosed up to all the teachers and was a total douche). I get called into the principals office and no matter how much I told the principal I didn't steal the cards he just kept on assuming I did and kept on asking me why I did it (or something to that effect, been a while since then) until I just broke down and said I stole the cards. I ended up having to give him A bunch of my random cards including a 1st ed charizard and later on I find out because of course he bragged about it that nobody had even stolen his cards and that he did it to other kids. Come to think of it though I think him and my mom had gotten into a fight at some point so he was probably being really biased to me.

I guess you should probably never talk to authority figures, I know that I never talk to police officers. Good video thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Don't have the time now, but if I understand it correctly: Because the police might have an interest in you and they could use it against you.

So that's why you will never say a word to them.
    That's why you will refuse to say anything, even if you witnessed a murder.
    For me there's not a single reason in the world that justifies keeping your mouth shut in a situation like that, except maybe when the murderer threatens your family.
    Oh no, you misunderstand.

I have no problem offering testimony to the police if they offer me immunity. After all, just like I "have nothing to fear if I'm innocent", they have nothing to fear if I'm not a suspect.

If they won't offer you that immunity, however, then they have at least ENTERTAINED the idea that you could be somehow related to the crime.

Police are people. They can be good and bad just like any other profession or person on the planet. Honestly you can usually tell in under 5mins if you are dealing with one of those cops that just wants to get back at the kids that beat him up in high school or if he is one of those cops that really wants to protect and server his community. I used to generalize this a lot but I learned that in most cases if you aren't causing trouble with the average cop you don't have anything to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    FUCK THA POLICE

Fuck tha police? Be sure to remember not calling them when you need protection and stuff.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    I already consider them to be a nuisance. Why would I bother to communicate with a fool that is more than likely a manchild that craves for power?

---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 11:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Fuck tha police? Be sure to remember not calling them when you need protection and stuff.
    Maybe I would be able to protect myself, if my defensive instincts weren't crushed to the ground by society and the police itself. Of course I need the police too spoon fed me, because I am too restrained and therefore retarded to do it by myself.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2012-09-23 at 11:15 PM.

This hatred for the police seems so unreal for me. Police in my country are actually hardworking people that deserve respect. Never came across a story about any of our policemen using their power for bad.

Sir you neighbor was murdered yesterday did you see anything, well ya a white van was there for an hour or 2 but I'm not gonna tell you, I think it's better to let that vanload of deviants keep murdering people. Whenever a crime is solved with eye witness and community help then you can thank the people who didn't take this rediculous advice seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumocolor View Post
    My father was once stopped for speeding and got a ticket, there was a lineup of other cars pulled over too, my father walked over and asked the other drivers what they were stopped for, it turned out that everyone there had been ticketed for going the exact same speed, all the drivers exchanged info and showed up in court together. It turned out that the cop had given out about a dozen tickets in 30 minutes, all of them for the same amount, the judge almost blew a gasket and told the cop he'd be contacting his superiors and recommending serious disciplinary action.
    My dad got pulled over after turning while the light was still yellow a while back so the light was just turning red, not enough time for the light to change for the oncoming traffic lane ie the cop had no way to actually know if my dad had actually ran the light or not, we couldn't know since it was still yellow when it went out of view but sure enough the cop turned on his siren and pulled us over. I still say he was gonna turn on his siren for the last person coming through the light no matter what but there really isn't anything you can say to get out of the ticket since it's him against you.

10+ Year Old Account
    At around 14:20 the guy says something around these lines: "He expelnates himself". I can't seem to find the definition of this word or any variant except for explanation.. I know it's a bit off-topic but I'm trying to understand some of the hard words he's saying :P

edit: Thanks to Marg for explaining me what expulpate means
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2012-09-24 at 12:04 AM.