Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

What would happen if North Korea EMPd USA?

What would happen if North Korea EMPd USA? I know USA would be left without power and many(if not all) electronically devices would be destroyed and be without power for a long time, Nuclear Reactors would get meltdowns, Life support on hospitals would fail etc. Could North Korea be a threat? For uninformed people read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Deleted
    They could EMP maybe part of one city, I would be very skeptical they could EMP the entire city and there is zero chance they could shutdown the entire country.

Quote Originally Posted by sevaj View Post
    What would happen if North Korea EMPd USA? I know USA would be left without power and many(if not all) electronically devices would be destroyed and be without power for a long time, Nuclear Reactors would get meltdowns, Life support on hospitals would fail etc. Could North Korea be a threat? For uninformed people read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
    they couldn't take down the whole grid. they could only barely get to the west coast. i'm not worried.

Deleted
    If they had enough EMP's and a way to deliver them, yeah. But currently they would be considered lucky if one of their rockets could even reach mainland USA, not taking into account all the anti-missile defenses that are set up. They are light years from having EMP's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever watched Dark Angel? Minus the whole transgenic soldiers bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

They lack the ability to reach us. At most they'll hit hawaii. And if they do they die.

North Korea's been thraetening us for a looong time, they haven't taken any real action against us. The Kim-Jong family just has a huge war boner and just masturbates too much(applieng they can only punish themselves).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    If they had EMP's and a way to deliver them, yeah. But currently they would be considered lucky if one of their rockets could even reach mainland USA, not taking into account all the anti-missile defenses that are set up. They are light years from having EMP's.
    a light year is a unit of distance not time... but yeah basically. not to mention the fact that i doubt there is even enough of the raw materials required to make an emp bomb to make enough of them to black out the entire country. at least not that is readily available to, or even feasibly obtainable by NK
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

If they had EMP's and a way to deliver them, yeah. But currently they would be considered lucky if one of their rockets could even reach mainland USA, not taking into account all the anti-missile defenses that are set up. They are light years from having EMP's.
    But the EMP could be a basic Nuclear bomb that is detonated roughly 60-100km over land, Is the Anti-missile defenses really reaching that high up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    a light year is a unit of distance not time... but yeah basically. not to mention the fact that i doubt there is even enough of the raw materials required to make an emp bomb to make enough of them to black out the entire country. at least not that is readily available to, or even feasibly obtainable by NK
    I see someone lacks the ability to think in the abstract and understand how light year = a long ass time, because of the distance covered. We are light years away from xxxx just = we are exponentially far from x objective.

be light years away
    to be a very long time in the future A cure for all kinds of cancer is still light years away. (often + from + doing sth) Scientists are light years away from understanding (= it will be a very long time before scientists understand) the human brain.
    Like seriously who nit picks over idioms?

As you can see it just means a very long time away from something, if we are light years away from a planet it'll take us a VERY long time to get to our objective as we can't travel at the speed of light...

Deleted
    They are light years from having EMP's.
    DERP! Light years are a measure of distance not time xD

On Topic: There is no way any country could ever disable another whole country with EMP's because you can protect your stuff from EMP's.
    military and medical facilitys both (to some degree) use Faraday shielding. (EMP protection aka used for solar flare eruptions / lightning storms)

Well if we play with the though of someone actully make this happen!
    Yeah well then everything gets burnt. And yeah USA will be in a very bad possition.

Sorry for bad ENG!

10+ Year Old Account
    They need a 500 kiloton nuclear detonation 300 miles above the USA to damage the entire country which I doubt they have the means to do.

It only takes 1 300 miles up and All of the United States and most of Canada and Mexico go dark. They estimate power would be upwards of 2 years as they don't keep the big electrical generators in stock. Sadly the world probably wouldn't last that long though. As soon the US found out (basically immediately) who launched the attacks most of their nuclear missiles would then be heading over that way. Along with a return EMP.

Quote Originally Posted by sevaj View Post
    But the EMP could be a basic Nuclear bomb that is detonated roughly 60-100km over land, Is the Anti-missile defenses really reaching that high up?
    Look at the bigger picture. They don't have any way of delivering a bomb of sufficient size at a sufficient altitude to cause meaningful damage to any significant fraction of the North American continent. They can barely get a missile into the upper atmosphere, how are they going to get one into the ionosphere on the other side of the Pacific Ocean, let alone one delivering a payload of sufficient magnitude?

And let's say, on the off chance that this impossible scenario went down. For the sake of answering a hypothetical question... the US has a vast military presence outside of its borders, as well as allies around the globe. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out what happens then.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2013-04-22 at 01:21 PM.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Themius;20904181]I see someone lacks the ability to think in the abstract and understand how light year = a long ass time, because of the distance covered. We are light years away from xxxx just = we are exponentially far from x objective.[QUOTE]

DERP AGAIN!

Well Light year is how long light travels in 1 year! so you basicly say that North Korea on earth is far away in the galaxy am i right?

Light Years have allways and will allways be a measure of distance not time. Even how "ABRTRACT" YOU choose to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    actually it's Both at the same time since the speed of light is constant.. relativity not withstanding.

Theres a reason the US has underground lines. EMP's Dont travel well through the sub surface.

Metaphors are extremely dangerous to use on the Internet, because people take them literally and begin to break them down into itty bitty semantic parts.

We, the users of the Internet, are light years away from figuring out how to interpret old expressions and idioms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue The Shaman View Post
    They lack the ability to reach us. At most they'll hit hawaii. And if they do they die.

North Korea's been thraetening us for a looong time, they haven't taken any real action against us. The Kim-Jong family just has a huge war boner and just masturbates too much(applieng they can only punish themselves).
    Could say the same thing about the US, though. North Korea didn't really do anything towards the US until the US came into the picutre to show off their powers. Which they tend to do in any world conflict.

Anyways, NK can't really pose a threat to the US - but to Japan and South Korea, they could probably do some damage before they get annihilated by the South Koreans.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Theres a reason the US has underground lines. EMP's Dont travel well through the sub surface.
    The US' civilian infrastructure is extremely ill-developed to handle an EMP; it would be disastrous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by hirazu View Post
    DERP! Light years are a measure of distance not time xD
    Sorry for bad ENG!
    Really people?
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ght-years-away