Poll: Are they human?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    Psychopaths lack something that is pretty much key to being human, empathy. Without this, they are dangerous and really give nothing to society. If you lack empathy (humanity), can you be considered truly human? If not, what should be done to psychopaths? Do they deserve to stick around and be a threat to "humans"?

- - - Updated - - -

And no, I am not promoting open season on psychopaths ... although I feel nothing for them. Just asking what people think about this subject.
    Interesting.

Trying to de-humanize something we don't like is just trying to provide more fuel for when we want to get rid of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that's important when determining if a living creature is a human or not is its DNA. If you have human DNA you are a human, doesn't matter if you are a psychopath or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also don't believe in killing animals. I don't hunt or fish. I don't think animals should be put down or anything like that.
    Then how would we eat? Plants are living things too ya know. Also, without killing animals, we would never have gotten to be where we are today since we kinda need our bigger brains.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also don't believe in killing animals. I don't hunt or fish. I don't think animals should be put down or anything like that.
    Then what the hell is the point of this thread? If you don't believe in hurting living things, what does it matter is psychopaths are humans or not?

Also: without actually testing people, there's no way to know what impact psychopaths actually have in the world, further, the disorder is actually fairly rare.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Children don't have empathy? Where did you hear that? Were you ever a child? If you were and didn't feel then I fear for your current state.
    I repeat children don't fully develop empathy until very late in their development. This is one of the reasons why often children are perceived to be selfish or cruel. Empathy is a curious thing and it can actually be thought to certain degrees. That doesn't meet they are incapable of it or incapable of mimicking it.

There is a large amount of research and data available on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy...ion_of_empathy
    http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/a...stages-empathy
    http://www.psy.miami.edu/faculty/dme...evelopment.pdf

Deleted
    Allow me to clarify. I am referring to psychopaths who are capable of doing anything to further their goals with no remorse.

To make this simple... Take away consequences for actions in all walks of life. Put humans into the equation . Then you will see how silly your comments are, Every human will do the above.

Omg a new species has emerged on Earth right under our very noses! I dub thee, Homo Rapeiens!

Not sure this adds much, but it seems like some people are confusing sociopath with psychopath so here.
    http://voices.yahoo.com/sociopath-vs...e-1906224.html

"A sociopath is one who is affected with a personality disorder marked by antisocial behavior. A psychopath is a person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEater View Post
    Not sure this adds much, but it seems like some people are confusing sociopath with psychopath so here.
    http://voices.yahoo.com/sociopath-vs...e-1906224.html

"A sociopath is one who is affected with a personality disorder marked by antisocial behavior. A psychopath is a person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse."
    Technically, the definitions intermingle problematically in the DSM IV(or is it V now?). There is no real distinction between people who don't follow the rules because they don't like them, people who follow the rules but lack empathy, or people who don't follow the rules but are capable of acting like they do.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Am I a psychopath?
    Judging from your posts that you have created in the past, this is a valid question.

Deleted
    I really hope you aren't serious with this question but basically what you're saying is anyone who has some kind of personality disorder that most people don't have shouldn't be considered human? But guess what, it doesn't matter, I don't like psycopaths either but just because they think different than you doesn't make them less than you, if they have human DNA they are human and should be treated like such, the end.

Also, if they aren't human then I guess we shouldn't put them in jail if they kill someone? Since those laws only apply to humans...
    Last edited by mmoc1448edff70; 2013-11-10 at 12:16 AM.

Should Congress be considered human? Yes, just bad humans, so there's your answer.

Deleted
    Yes they are human, no they shouldn't be killed.

Not all psychopaths are violent, in fact the vast majority of them are not. They lack empathy yes, but that's why they succeed so well in a capitalist culture. In fact if you know anyone in a high paid job such as a company CEO, lawyer or top end management, there is a significant chance they are a psychopath.

And no, I am not promoting open season on psychopaths ... although I feel nothing for them.
    That sounds like something a psychopath would say.

I think that, since not all psychopaths wind up as murderers, work should be put into medicine or therapy to treat them. Unlike other conditions which we just hug and accept, not feeling empathy is directly detrimental to being able to function in society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

OP, if "giving something to society" is a requirement for being human, then almost half of all Americans are not human.

Psychopaths are humans, they're just mentally ill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post

Not all psychopaths are violent, in fact the vast majority of them are not. They lack empathy yes, but that's why they succeed so well in a capitalist culture. In fact if you know anyone in a high paid job such as a company CEO, lawyer or top end management, there is a significant chance they are a psychopath.
    "Anyone who makes a lot of money is probably a psychopath."

I'll have to put this one in my book of amazing quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post

Just because someone values themselves above everyone else that they step on as they rise to success doesn't mean they don't feel empathy, just that they ignore it.

Stereotypical Capitalist Pig: Hmm, that nagging voice of empathy again. I'll just drown it in another moneybath, that always takes my mind off things. Jeeves, prepare the money hot tub!

Jeeves: right away, sir.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-11-10 at 01:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Chances are a psychopath is currently your boss. They seem to do well in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Just because someone values themselves above everyone else that they step on as they rise to success doesn't mean they don't feel empathy, just that they ignore it.

Stereotypical Capitalist Pig: Hmm, that nagging voice of empathy again. I'll just drown it in another moneybath, that always takes my mind off things. Jeeves, prepare the money hot tub!

Jeeves: right away, sir.
    Right, you're not greedy, not you, it's everyone else who's greedy.

I don't know of anyone who values other adults above himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read a study that said babies lack empathy..are they not human?