Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

thinking about to buy gw2

hey guys im looking for an alternative to wow pvp since my abonnement is running out very soon.

i googled alot and found some good games like for example "Forge" or "Bloodline Champions" but also red alot about gw.

Most people say gw1 is better than gw2 but if you want to play gw1 you need a guild asap. So i thought about getting gw2 but it seems like most people quit playing this game in the past few weeks and i would like to know whats your opinion about this?

How is high end pvp. Would you say there arent enough people? What about longterm motivation? Is it worth it to buy gw2 after that long time it is available in store.

(sorry about my english but i hope you can still understand me)

Guild Wars 1 is entirely playable solo. Most GW1 players DO solo the entire game. Becasue it is not only very possible, but the game was designed to allow you to such.

Guild Wars 1 is one of the finest games ever made in terms of gameplay and game design. It was Arena.net at the peak of their creative prowess.

Guild Wars 2 however, is still WILDLY popular. It is one of the fastest selling MMOs in the western market, has one of the most varied and robust communicates I have ever seen and I have yet to see an [sans Warcraft] that is as busy & lively as GW2.

Whatever you read about an exodus was either erroneous or a misunderstanding on your part. GW2 is packed to brim. So packed that certain servers will shuffle you overflow servers constantly.

Whether or not GW2 is "worth it" depends on a few things.

For one, the game is a ONE TIME purchase. Relatively speaking, there is very little risk in trying the game out as you will never be charged after the initial fee. And the game is a very important title in the MMO space from an intellectual standpoint, so it's kind of in your best interest to be familiar with the game such that you have a grasp of MMO design in the 3rd major wave of the genre.

Secondly, the game has some eccentricities in comparison to 2nd era MMOs such as Warcraft or Age of Conan for example. These might be a deal breaker for some on a personal enjoyment level. But do some research into the actual gameplay of Guild Wars 2.

Some people don't like action combat, some people don't like animation locking. Some do like those things.

Others don't care for dexterity challenges in games [GW2 has MANY], while some players may love jumping and tumbling challenges.

The way GW2 plays might put one off if they have poorly conceived expectations removed from developer intent and design.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-01 at 01:51 PM.

Pretty great post above, I have just 1 thing to add...

The purchase price of the game is well worth it just for the initial play through. Assuming you have a decent rig, the graphics are amazing. Look through the Screenshot thread in this forum for a preview.

I would do more research in a forum not dedicated to the game you're looking to purchase before you spend your money.

Personally I found it the dullest, shallowest game I have ever played. In 20+ years of gaming I have never regretted a purchase and certainly never considered getting a refund. GW2 scored on both of those counts.

Deleted
    One easy way to find out. I think the cheapest gw2 package is around £20.
    Grab `n` play it, if don`t like after however long you play it`s not a lot of money to have spent, as most single player AAA games cost three times that & how many folk ever complete those

Check out this for lots of varied clips of the game:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Wars-2-Videos

Forum pages for the pvp: (expect rants ;p)

spvp (not that there`s anything structured about hot join ;p)
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/pvp

(This used to be 24 hour & stickied on the forums, but lack of viewers it`s hit & miss as to whether it`s live or not, search Mistleague for top end pvp footage
    http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2pvptv

WvW (three servers fighting each other aka blobs most of the time)
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv

Server points display:
    http://mos.millenium.org/

Youtube players like Jathres (used to ele, now mostly warrior/necro), Sirkoroshi (excellent engie), Bitcloud1 (ele), Namastegaming (mix of talkie stuff). Also Gamebreakertv for lot of gw2 chat shows. (They also used to have a pvp only show, but like all others was short lived).

Personally, I don`t think the battlegrounds are good. Whilst I purely lived in arena/bg/Rbgs/world pvp events in warcraft, when me & the cronies got gw2 (I`m only one stuck with the game, until recently) we tended to do WvWs more because it used to be more fun (balance is roflkek though ;p).

As for gw2 being busy, depends if you pve/pvp & what server you`re on. Also what did you play in warcraft?
    I picked my server during beta as my Guild Wars guild were going to be on there, but they all left the game fairly sharpish.
    I was then stuck on what turned into a PvE server whilst I only PvP. D`Oh!
    WvWs was dead most of the time after a few months of game going live, except for Friday night/reset night.

Guild Wars, you don`t need a guild, but it`ll help as you`ll have someone to help/converse with. It`s still busy during events, but US servers busier, EU very quiet.
    You can solo it all, just make sure have right builds for each situation.
    Again, personally I think Guild Wars excels by a long shot over gw2 & I`m not a long timer.
    It is *the only* mmo where the story has struck a chord with me, whereas gw2, Aion, warcraft etc it tended to be barely noticeable hehe
    Last edited by mmoca2c81d9292; 2013-12-01 at 03:32 PM.

It is also on sale till Dec 3 - so its a great time to try it out and since its B2P you can play on and off whenever you want.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Oops forgot, you mentioned searching other games.
    Check out Wizard Wars.
    It is in beta right now, you can buy a pack to play or opt to ask for a key.

This game is manic fun & is purely pvp.

If you're really not sure, wait until they have a free weekend again and try it. If you like it, buy it. If not, you've lost nothing but maybe some time and bandwidth.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're mostly interested in PvP there's 2 different kinds - one is the massive week long battle between 3 servers that we call WvW. Most servers use a Teamspeak or other Voip to coordinate strategies and coverage between guilds, havoc teams and solo roamers. Your server becomes like a mega-guild. You use PvE gear for this and you are upleveled to 80 when you go in but as a general rule underleveled characters are not as powerful as a true 80. There's a leaderboard that ranks servers by wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSrt7C46NTk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA6lukCWKyE

Then there is structured PvP. The really neat thing about this that always blows new players away when I tell them about it is you don't have to level or gear up for it. You are instantly boosted to 80 when you enter the Heart of the Mists where you have free access to all the items to create your build - different stats, skills, weapon sets, runes (like tier bonuses), sigils (like weapon enchants), traits (like talents), etc. so it's very easy to try out other classes or playstyles. There is both Hot Join and Tournament play. They've done quite a bit for PvP since launch by adding Custom Arenas, Spectator Mode, PvP maps, ranking systems & leaderboards but work still needs to be done for the rewards system. Right now it's just skins and finishers in game although there are player and league hosted tournaments running that offer cash or gem prizes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josG_V6PDlM
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-12-01 at 04:12 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Guild Wars 2 however, is still WILDLY popular. It is one of the fastest selling MMOs in the western market, has one of the most varied and robust communicates I have ever seen and I have yet to see an [sans Warcraft] that is as busy & lively as GW2.

Whatever you read about an exodus was either erroneous or a misunderstanding on your part. GW2 is packed to brim. So packed that certain servers will shuffle you overflow servers constantly.
    Just make sure you are on one of the 3-5 large WvW servers or it will not be as busy and lively as you may think... logging into, for example, Sanctum of Rall or Blackgate is an entirely different experience than Gates of Madness or Anvil Rock.

If you are a WoW player, it's the equivalent of Illidan or Stormrage vs one of the many low pop servers.

Fencers had a good write up of things to consider, but there are MANY more things to consider as well - If $30 is a lot to spend on something you may or may like, hop over to the official forums to see some of the other positives and negatives the game has - there are many. Just like any other B2P or F2P games, some of the games design is hindered because of the need to sell things in the store for revenue.

As someone who hasn't played GW2 in months, and doesn't plan on ever playing it again, I will say that I don't regret the purchase. I didn't find it very appealing as a MMO, but it was decent enough to warrant a one-time playthrough and some mucking around with their dyes and such.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

As a r40+ PvPer (leaderboards top 400) I have to say, do not buy GW2 if you want to focus on PvP!

PvP is shit and has been shit since beta. IMO the new game modes are too little too late (and not out as of yet).
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-12-01 at 05:00 PM.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

if you focus on pvp, don't buy an mmo period

That's just ignorant doozer.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    That's just ignorant doozer.
    no it's the truth, mmos are terrible for pvp

GW had awesome PvP.
    WoW PvP isn't bad on tournament realm either.

I take it you never played GW pvp seriously?
    I also take it you haven't played on tournament realm?

Therefor you are lacking knowledge/information/experience = ignorant.

compared to a moba, rts, fps, yeah mmos are poor for pvp (even GW and WoW)

WoW PvP isn't bad on tournament realm either.
    WoW PvP is horrible. Don't get me started on shadow priests.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw OP, there is a contest going on right now to get a free Heroic Edition of the game from GW2. The contest ends December 3rd so you have time to get an entry in if you're interested.

http://migration.guildwars2.com/en/
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Btw OP, there is a contest going on right now to get a free Heroic Edition of the game from GW2. The contest ends December 3rd so you have time to get an entry in if you're interested.

http://migration.guildwars2.com/en/
    @op

This would be a really good thing for you to do. They are giving away 5000 copies of the game and only 25 videos have been posted. That is pretty much a guaranteed copy for free!
    If you don't want to embarrass yourself with that, I would recommend the purchase for even one play through.

The game feels shallow, but can be quite fun at times. I would not suggest buying it for SPvP(WoW battleground feel) there are only a handful of people that still play and less each and every day. A lot of people enjoy the WvW. It is probably my least favorite thing in the game though. Just way to zergy. I would buy the game for PvE only.
    Last edited by Fernling306; 2013-12-01 at 06:45 PM.