Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

WoW is no longer an MMORPG, but an MO (massively online game) - PvE perspective

Hey guys!

I'd just like to point out a few reasons why I believe World of Warcraft is no longer a multiplayer and no longer a role playing game.

1. Loss of multiplayer:
    a) A paucity of reasons to selectively group up with other players:
    - LFD offers a path of least resistance towards good gear (VPs), is not challenging and requires almost no interaction between players (it is effectively a solo run with 4 "NPCs").
    - LFR enables experiencing endgame content (which is ok), while also not necessitating player interaction and not being challenging whatsoever.
    - Removal of group quests - questing is too easy and again offers virtually no incentive to seek out other players to group with which hampers any chance of developing new friendships.

b) Your role in a group has lost its prominence:
    - This mostly applies to LFR and LFG because of the lack of inherent difficulty - it can be beaten even if the group members for the most part don't do their job.
    - If someone under performs, the tendency is to kick him/her, rather than to offer advice.

c) Instant level 90.

2. Loss of role playing due to an extreme reduction in player individuality:
    - Epic & legendary gear can be acquired by anybody which is good, but without much effort which is not good.

- Items obtained from the 3 difficulty levels are differentiated by minor color alterations, the actual stat changes are not that profound.

- A myriad of (in my opinion) great looking mounts that could be acquired in game by putting in some serious effort and feeling rewarded, but are instead available to anyone through the online store. And, in fact, many do purchase these mounts and this results in a plethora of people having the same looking mount and that effectively negates the reason for buying the mount in the first place - to stand out.

- Allowing anyone to simply purchase 310% flying speed. Beforehand this was a nice reward for those who went just that one step further and when you saw someone with such a mount, you were in awe and wanted one too!

- Cross-realm grouping - prior to this system being implemented, you could build up a good reputation on your server as either a good tank, dps or healer. Now you're just another "guy" in the group.

- The ability to obtain titles associated with killing hard raid bosses persists into future expansions, effectively rendering these titles worthless because anyone can later come back, 10 levels stronger and steamroll through the content. I cite as my example The Astral Walker and Dragonslayer, each obtained by beating a very difficult boss at that level. Now they can be acquired by anybody. Remember the Champion of the Naaru and Hand of A'dal? They were made unavailable with the launch of WOTLK, the reason being and I quote Eyonix "to prevent easy access to the titles".

- Removal of keyrings - another reason less to seek out players on your own realm.

- Nerfing hard to obtain titles, for example The Insane. Beforehand it was really hard to level up DMF rep, now it can be done just by doing easy daily quests and it has even had 1 criterium flat out removed.

- Removal of world drop or raid drop profession recipes - every alchemist, for example, can make the same stuff as the other. This has a few exceptions, but in the form of vanity items, such as the Sandstone drake. This devalues professions and potentially hurts the economy of the game.

- Bringing back items that ceased to become available. For example the Clockwork Rocket Bot or the Amani Warbear. Also this year you could just purchase previous years' Winter Vail gifts. Yes, these are small things, but they're stacking up.

- Legendaries for all.

.....in my opinion.
    Last edited by Santoryu; 2014-01-07 at 10:46 PM.

Deleted
    I am playing as a virtual character in a game that tells a story, which means it's roleplaying. I meet other players in the game, which means it's a multiplayer game.

Stood in the Fire Steve the Sloth's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedi View Post
    I am playing as a virtual character, which means it's roleplaying. I meet other players in the game, which means it's a multiplayer game.
    And this folks is quite possibly the most short lived thread in history.

I am playing as a virtual character, which means it's roleplaying. I meet other players in the game, which means it's a multiplayer game.
    This pretty much.

Wow look another vast exaggeration thread about WoW.

Shocker.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am playing as a virtual character in a game that tells a story, which means it's role playing.
    I disagree. I don't believe being told a story justifies the appellation "role playing". In my opinion role playing means that there is something about your style of play and your achievements that makes you different from everyone else.

I meet other players in the game, which means it's a multiplayer game.
    Meeting other players in game does not make it multiplayer in my opinion. There has to be a degree of interaction.

I am playing as a virtual character in a game that tells a story, which means it's roleplaying. I meet other players in the game, which means it's a multiplayer game.
    Yeah sorry but the OP's whole argument falls down to this.

You can't just "stop" being a genre of game based on your own experiences.

But your role doesn't matter so it's not roleplaying. It's more like FPS. So yeah fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    I disagree. I don't believe being told a story justifies the appellation "role playing". In my opinion role playing means that there is something about your style of play and your achievements that makes you different from everyone else.

Meeting other players in game does not make it multiplayer in my opinion. There has to be a degree of interaction.
    Your opinion <<<<<< definition of the terms used.

"Role" in role playing game does not refer to tank/dps/healer. It refers to you taking on the role of a character in a fictional setting. Like an actor takes on a role. Nothing more.
    Last edited by openair; 2014-01-07 at 11:01 PM.

Can this thread be locked now?
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    what exactly is the point of this thread? this makes about as much sense as worrying about what type of celestial body Pluto is classified as.

nobody gives a shit.

I like how 'instant level 90' is an argument that somehow illustrates how WoW isn't a multiplayer game anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post

Meeting other players in game does not make it multiplayer in my opinion.
    Do you know what ''multi'' means? It means more. More than one. You play this game with 7 million others.
    Thats more than one, therefore this game is multiplayer.
    Faith Alone is Not Enough to Stop all the Enemies of the Light!
    - Retribution Paladin since 2007.

Burning Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Jesus christ, I just agreed with Jaylock. I need to go and have a shower.

are you seriously trying to say that? sure the idea is correct but this game is so far from actually being it that its almost embarrassing to think that.

game is washed out and is as mindless and un interactive as call of duty

10+ Year Old Account
    What does most of what you said have to do with the roleplaying aspect of this game? Literally everything you listed has nothing to do with ''loseing the roleplaying value'' Basicly, you created this thread (very original btw), by the premiss of just saying the things that some of you people have been saying for so long on this website, but actually failling to point out anything ralated to the actual title of the thread.

(Also what does intant 90 and buying fast mounts have anything to do with roleplaying) Those 2 cought my eyes, pretty funny, OP.

I don't understand why it matters as long as you're enjoying the time you spend playing the game.

If you don't just quit then.

WoW is the definition and gold standard for an MMO, this thread is ridiculous.
    You just lost The Game

Deleted
    Loss of Roleplaying? Clearly you've never been to an RP server. The whole concept of Roleplaying on an RP server revolves around there being more than one player involved. It's a good thing people on RP servers don't have to deal with the whining of other players since they make their own content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    what exactly is the point of this thread? this makes about as much sense as worrying about what type of celestial body Pluto is classified as.

nobody gives a shit.
    You obviously did since you posted in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    WoW is the definition and gold standard for an MMO, this thread is ridiculous.
    This.

/thread