Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Has anyone ever done a race idea/concept?

I have seen expansion ideas, class ideas, and a faction idea. but never a race idea.

so has anyone ever done a race idea/concept?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    I have seen expansion ideas, class ideas, and a faction idea. but never a race idea.

so has anyone ever done a race idea/concept?
    Usually they are discussed in threads regarding adding existing races to the playable race list. Polls like that happen often. Completely new races are less common, because adding something with no previous lore is (quite vocally) less appreciated by certain types.

Usually it's not talking about creating a totally new race, but yes, some threads pop up where people talk about ways to implement new playable races from existing options.

i was talking about 100% new race never heard of before. since you know there are other worlds out there.

It wasn't for Warcraft in particular, but my friends and I have designed several races that we generally feature in our products. For World of Warcraft, if I were to add any completely new race, it would probably be Vedros.

Vedros are magical incarnations of dwarves. Think Dwarf meets Blood Elf. They're very observant to the point of getting on some people's nerves with how much they can talk about a given subject while never actually pausing to take a breath. They're intellectual and if they don't use their inherent magic it eventually builds up and causes them to explode into mana-wraith type creatures.

If they were playable, I'd do something like

Faction: Neutral. Vedros don't have a stake in war. They would join a faction only because that's the fastest way for them to gain access to more libraries and research. Everything they do is to learn, and they don't want to only learn about how some races do things.

Classes: Mage, Warlock, Death Knight, Rogue, Warrior, Monk, Druid (favor balance druid because of arcane magic, but can be all because of gameplay mechanics).

Combat Racial - A small, extra bar that builds up as they use attacks. If they don't use it when it reaches mass, they do a small aoe for % damage based on level. They can "bleed" it off to heal themselves or another, or to gain a small chunk of resource.

Passive Racial - Detect Arcane Magic. If there are creatures that use arcane magic (mage, warlock, most demons), they can be detected, even while stealth/invis (same as hunter detect stealth).

Skill Racial - Inscription. The Vedros write ALL THE TIME about Everything, literally. They would get the +10 bonus that also increases the cap by 10 for them.

Mounts - Cave Spiders (like trapdoor spiders) and flying contraptions (like kites in pandaria).

There. An original race.

i wasnt thinking playable.

i was talking about 100% new race never heard of before. since you know there are other worlds out there.
    I promote a Doppelganger race when I remember to. Essentially a failed experiment to reverse the forsaken curse of undeath changes their appearance to human for a short while, and then begins shifting erratically till they learn to control it. They would have a "natural" form that was unique to them, but it would also open up the opportunity to make already existing characters doppelgangers as well.

They'd have a:
    -mimicry ability that let them take the appearance of their target and allow them to be friendly in enemy space.
    -reform self, letting them remove some debuffs like polymorph and bleeds
    -persona, letting them borrow the reputation of their target for the purpose of grabbing quests and making purchases, but turns off all personal rep gain while in use
    -"form of washcloth!" can take a discrete form making them temporarily appear to be an ally to npcs.

People don't usually make up totally new and original race concepts because there are already many viable existing races in the Warcraft universe, it is usually much easier to justify their existence and lore and as this is a franchise universe, people get attached to the various species that are dotted around.

I remember one post on the official forums back around pre-TBC, going into detail about a Gilnean Worgen clan joining the Alliance. Gave me a serious case of déjà vu when Cataclysm rolled around. I myself made a race concept around that time for a raptor tribe headquartered in Un'Goro joining the Alliance in rebellion from the trolls using them as mounts. Pretty sure I wasn't being serious though. It was a weird time, the span between the blood elf announcement and the draenei announcement. Everyone and their dog tried to guess what the Alliance were getting, and nobody succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    I remember one post on the official forums back around pre-TBC, going into detail about a Gilnean Worgen clan joining the Alliance. Gave me a serious case of déjà vu when Cataclysm rolled around. I myself made a race concept around that time for a raptor tribe headquartered in Un'Goro joining the Alliance in rebellion from the trolls using them as mounts. Pretty sure I wasn't being serious though. It was a weird time, the span between the blood elf announcement and the draenei announcement. Everyone and their dog tried to guess what the Alliance were getting, and nobody succeeded.
    I remember a few of those Gilnean threads from back then. Man... the BC race guessing was crazy. Pandaren, kobold, high-elf, drakonid, Gilnean, Kul-tiran, even ogres I think.
    This one got me.

All I can think of are probably races that are native to different planets we've seen and have never seen before or also maybe other native races in Azeroth never thought to have existed till then.

But I've always wanted a race that were Dragon influenced. Maybe like Draconians? But more into a humanoid form than more of a draconoid.

Yeah I have, a number of times. Not from other worlds per say, but from Outland/Draenor and Azeroth, sure. Never posted any of it online though.

Kattani : A humanoid feline race (made them up long before Cataclysm and Tolvir came about). These guys came from a lost chunk of Outland.
    Zuluan : Essentially a Human subrace I suppose, based on/inspired by the Zulu Empire. This race would have had no mana using classes.
    Vexan : A grey skinned humanoid. Ya know the typical little grey alien? Give that an overall more human like bodyshape and then give it a conehead skull.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsurugix00 View Post
    All I can think of are probably races that are native to different planets we've seen and have never seen before or also maybe other native races in Azeroth never thought to have existed till then.

But I've always wanted a race that were Dragon influenced. Maybe like Draconians? But more into a humanoid form than more of a draconoid.
    that is what i was thinking a race(s) from a different planet.
    i was thinking refugees that survived a burning legion attack that went to azeroth after some how hearing they have managed to push back the legion many times or a race sends a scout ship to azeroth to get aid because the legion is going to attack their planet.

i started working on 1 out of the 3 race ideas i have. i will try to finish it and post it in the next few days.

i started working on 1 out of the 3 race ideas i have. i will try to finish it and post it in the next few days.
    I can't wait! Please hurry up, I'll keep checking the forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by PeggBundy View Post
    I can't wait! Please hurry up, I'll keep checking the forum here.
    if only i could draw well. it would kind of help but since i cant. i will just make due with what i have.
    anyway 80-90% of the lore is done. then i will go into more details on the leader and what classes they have. also might do their government too.

theres some new races from the runner ups in the blizzard art contest.

some moth people, an otter person, and a dove mecha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    This one got me.
    http://img1.mmo.mmo4arab.com/news/2010/03/03/wowrace/pandaren2.jpg
    that was a real leak.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

i have a feeling though i am going to get raged at for a certain detail about this races leader. oh well they can suck it up. when your about 50,000 years old of course your going to be strong.

- - - Updated - - -

well i am going to try and draw a basic look of what is in my head, even though i cant draw well.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    that was a real leak.
    Yeah? I'd suspected, but never heard anything official. I really liked that design.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love making up NPC races and monsters. I do them in batches for expansion concepts. It's not comprehensive or anything re. full lore and history, just general visual ideas. Here's a couple I did that are meant to be mostly friendly NPCs:

Molefolk

Batfolk

I too would love to see many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    theres some new races from the runner ups in the blizzard art contest.
    I am totally on board for all of them. Dove mecha reminds me of the 'Bird Golem' boss in Zeno Clash 2.