10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    i probably should not respond, but that bait looks delicious, i'll feed ya. As you said, everything in the game is timesinks.

5 minutes, 1 week, both are just measurements of time, where i am not participating in the content i want to be doing at that time. call it what ever the fuck you want.

so if they are both doing the same thing, what is the difference that they are not the same thing?
    Maybe you should petition Blizz to remove the gating on gear, dungeons, and raids. Then there will be no more gating and timesinks can just be timesinks again. Like the amount of time needed to PvP to earn points to get gear. Without the gating, we could get raid geared in a day. But since flight is not a gate, just a time sink, maybe we should ask for portals.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    They also claimed that the overwhelming majority of the community supported Real ID.
    So either their liars or incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter II View Post
    Maybe you should petition Blizz to remove the gating on gear, dungeons, and raids. Then there will be no more gating and timesinks can just be timesinks again. Like the amount of time needed to PvP to earn points to get gear. Without the gating, we could get raid geared in a day. But since flight is not a gate, just a time sink, maybe we should ask for portals.
    life is a time sink. can't answer my question? pretty simple and direct. how is it i can show you they are the same, but you can't show me how they are different... hmmmm

10+ Year Old Account
    life is a time sink. can't answer my question? pretty simple and direct. how is it i can show you they are the same, but you can't show me how they are different... hmmmm
    You will have fun with all time sinks Blizzard puts in the game! Everything Blizzard does is perfect, how dare you have an opinion on what you find fun in the game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's how they are different:

Let's make a piece of gear the objective.

Gear on a Rare Mob - Fly into the zone, ride out to the mob, kill mob and get gear.
    22 minutes

Gear on a Vendor - Fly into zone, ride out and do dailies.
    4 weeks

Gating means you are locked out of getting your goal today. No flight is not gating. Bis Gear on vendors is gating.
    No flight is a small timesink
    BiS gear is a large timesink

Small vs Large is your difference. Can't get much more clear than that.

The collective butthurt over no flying could power my own flying machine

Here's how they are different:

Let's make a piece of gear the objective.

Gear on a Rare Mob - Fly into the zone, ride out to the mob, kill mob and get gear.
    22 minutes

Gear on a Vendor - Fly into zone, ride out and do dailies.
    4 weeks

Gating means you are locked out of getting your goal today. No flight is not gating. Bis Gear on vendors is gating.
    No flight is a small timesink
    BiS gear is a large timesink

Small vs Large is your difference. Can't get much more clear than that.
    ahh, so i can't get my goal today, means it's not a gate. So, i ding lvl 100, and find out i have to do this questline(attunement) that's gonna take me about 3 hours, before i can do the content i want to do, which is raid. I can do achieve that goal today, doesn't mean the attunement isn't a gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexo View Post
    How butthurt will the opposite side be when they add flying back in the first patch? Short lived delusional victories?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabblexthree View Post
    How butthurt will the opposite side be when they add flying back in the first patch? Short lived delusional victories?
    Meh, we'll get another no-fly area with patch anyways.

ahh, so i can't get my goal today, means it's not a gate. So, i ding lvl 100, and find out i have to do this questline(attunement) that's gonna take me about 3 hours, before i can do the content i want to do, which is raid. I can do achieve that goal today, doesn't mean the attunement isn't a gate.
    That is exactly what it means. A gate is when they block progression by making you wait for a reset. If the only one blocking you progression is you then it is not a gate. If the attunement can be done in 3 hours and does not require a reset then it is not a gate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Meh, we'll get another no-fly area with patch anyways.
    I just love how people act like flying/no flying even matters. They never said they were removing it from the whole expansion. There is always certain areas without flying. People accept this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexo View Post
    And we would take that flying machine over grounded travel at max level in WoD content because after playing that content. We can see no flying bring nothing to the game.

Slow content consumption with nothing beneficial. I know I can't support that kind of design and development after playing this game for so long.

That is exactly what it means. A gate is when they block progression by making you wait for a reset. If the only one blocking you progression is you then it is not a gate. If the attunement can be done in 3 hours and does not require a reset then it is not a gate.

- - - Updated - - -

I just love how people act like flying/no flying even matters. They never said they were removing it from the whole expansion. There is always certain areas without flying. People accept this.
    but
    Gating

Many games prevent players from progressing using gates. A gate might a physical door that they have to unlock, a time window that they have to show up for, a specific condition like a solving one task before unlocking another, or a requirement that a player research one technology before being allowed another.

http://www.whatgamesare.com/gating.html
    According to this, lockout is gate, and so is that 3 hour attunement with no reset needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have to do a 3 hour attunement, that is a timesink. If it cannot be done within the same 24 hour period it is a gate. Winterspring saber quest was a gate. You HAD to participate for 20 days before you could have the mount. The PvP mounts are not gates. You have to earn 2k HP to purchase one. You can get 2k HP in a couple hours. BiS gear in MoP was a gate. Had to grind rep, via dailies, to get exalted, and earn the JP/VP to purchase the gear. PvP Heirloom gear is NOT a gate since you can instantly spend Gold, or a few hours grinding HP/JP for it.

Everything in this game is a timesink. I did not invent it, but I understand it. If timesinks are not your thing, you might want to try another genre.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for breaking it down with the reset explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogolahst View Post
    About as absurd as assuming we're losing a million subs as the expansion nears.
    2nd quarter of 2014 and they lost 800,000 subs. What is that like 9,000 cancellations a day???

What do you think is going to happen 3rd Quarter 2014? Do you think everyone will come back to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of 5.4?

WoD does not release until the middle of 4th quarter 2014.

Have you read the different forums or seen the youtube videos? There is a ton of anger directed at this expansion.

If you have to do a 3 hour attunement, that is a timesink. If it cannot be done within the same 24 hour period it is a gate. Winterspring saber quest was a gate. You HAD to participate for 20 days before you could have the mount. The PvP mounts are not gates. You have to earn 2k HP to purchase one. You can get 2k HP in a couple hours. BiS gear in MoP was a gate. Had to grind rep, via dailies, to get exalted, and earn the JP/VP to purchase the gear. PvP Heirloom gear is NOT a gate since you can instantly spend Gold, or a few hours grinding HP/JP for it.

Everything in this game is a timesink. I did not invent it, but I understand it. If timesinks are not your thing, you might want to try another genre.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for breaking it down with the reset explanation.
    according to what you have called a "physical definition of gating" resets are only 1 of many ways to gate content, it is not the only way. You are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Blizzard has admitted that it is 50/50 when it comes to flight. When 50% of your customers may become unhappy that is a major issue.
    The question is how the 50/50 will react. I live in a predominately democrat area. That said, most of the candidates that win are republican? Why do the republicans win? Because in my area the republicans vote and the democrats do not.

My point is I believe the pro flyers are a lot more angry about this change than the anti flyers are happy about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    according to what you have called a "physical definition of gating" resets are only 1 of many ways to gate content, it is not the only way. You are wrong.
    Well, since it would appear you are only here to fight, and create trouble for other posters, I will no longer be responding to your posts. If you decide to calmly and rationally discuss this, I'll reconsider future interactions. Have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    2nd quarter of 2014 and they lost 800,000 subs. What is that like 9,000 cancellations a day???
    Isn't it surprising when people unsub when they ran out of things to do?

I got my first Garrosh kill 10/12/2013, and could have easily unsubbed afterwards since I had cleared the content. Timeless Isle offered nothing interesting to do, just plain grind those mobs until you're Exalted and that's it. Why would have those players kept their subscriptions running?

And how does it affect you, if some Player#27894 is unsubbed for X reasons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it surprising when people unsub when they ran out of things to do?

I got my first Garrosh kill 10/12/2013, and could have easily unsubbed afterwards since I had cleared the content. Timeless Isle offered nothing interesting to do, just plain grind those mobs until you're Exalted and that's it. Why would have those players kept their subscriptions running?

And how does it affect you, if some Player#27894 is unsubbed for X reasons?
    Precisely. No point in spending $15 a month if there is nothing new to see or do. Might as well put it aside and use what would have been wasted sub $$ to purchase the next expac. 4 months of unsub pretty much pays for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so im not sure what camp you are on. Are you on the side where you want flying back in the game for WoD, or are you on the side of liking the change and supporting it being removed?

If you are on the side of wanting it back in the game, then i feel sorry for you. There is so many more benefits for having flight removed than keeping it in the game. It has been explained over and over again, by both the players AND the developers of the actual damn game.

Just be happy that you even get a WoW to play at all. We should be thankful and grateful for what blizzard produces, not try to shit all over them calling them all sorts of inflammatory stuff just because we cant have our ice cream and eat it too.